Notices

Harry's Lap Timer and brake psi?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 02:26 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Harry's Lap Timer and brake psi?

So longer term I intend to use my trusty AIM Solo with a Smarty Cam attached, but for now I'm using the ever so simple Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone. For simple lap times it's super easy especially since I bought the app years ago. I am learning that there are OBDII bluetooth connectors available that provide some data. My question is:

Is there a way to get brake psi using Harry's Lap Timer and one of these remote units? It seems it ought to be available since the Porsche Track app captures brake psi.

Thanks to any that can help

Too bad I didn't know about the Porsche Track app when I spec'd my car. It seems like a fun easy option. The video below was supposedly created combining video from an iPhone and the Porsche Track app on CarPlay. Not sure how that works, but it does look interesting.

Last edited by JP66; 06-09-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

No. The OBDII standard that generic readers (and even AiM's OBDII/CAN protocol) use does not include brake pressure.

PPTA is done through USB to a module in the car that supplies that. No OBDII required.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-09-2022, 04:20 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No. The OBDII standard that generic readers (and even AiM's OBDII/CAN protocol) use does not include brake pressure.

PPTA is done through USB to a module in the car that supplies that. No OBDII required.

Sorry for being dense, and I know it's not truly relevant to my initial question, but what is PPTA and can I access that somehow without the Track App?
Old 06-09-2022, 04:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JP66
Sorry for being dense, and I know it's not truly relevant to my initial question, but what is PPTA and can I access that somehow without the Track App?
Sorry. PPTA=Porsche Precision Track App

Can't access it without access to the CAN of your car or with the PPTA.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:22 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Bringing back an old thread . . . .

If brake pressure isn't available via OBDII then I presume throttle data isn't either. How are people using Harry's, Aim, or any other DAQ getting this data then?
Old 11-11-2023, 06:20 AM
edub
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 194 Posts

Brake pressure is on the canbus and any logger that can tap the canbus can get it if you have the PID.

Brake pressure is also in the EXLAP protocol, which can be accessed via an open source library (some assembly required) or https://www.petreldata.com/product/c...r-for-android/ which is quite decent.

My setup is in here, and I use circuitstorm on a spare android phone. https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...n-a-718-a.html
Old 11-11-2023, 10:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by krell

If brake pressure isn't available via OBDII then I presume throttle data isn't either. How are people using Harry's, Aim, or any other DAQ getting this data then?
Since about 2006, there has been a generic OBDII CAN (as opposed to the previous, slower K-line) protocol for most cars. That is limited to a few basic channels primarily required for emissions based testing (RPM, ECT, MAT, MAP, TPS and some others). No brake info on that generic template.

Shortly thereafter, many (but not all) manufacturers started sending their own proprietary PT CAN info to pins 6 and 14 of the J1979 (OBDII) connector. GM Performance, the later Vipers, some Stellantis, Ferrari and some others provided massive information IF you had the messaging, scaling and offset to “read” the channel info. Some companies like AiM and Racelogic reverse engineered this info, some like Porsche and BMW made their apps the only easy way to read this info FROM THE OBDII PORT.

Now, it’s all over the map. Many companies, including Porsche, are installing gateways, or filtered, one way guardians of the vehicles CANbus. Enterprising hackers have worked out what messaging is there to add to the normally paltry number of channels usually made available.

Bottom line is OBDII is only an attachment point for many of these loggers, and what is available is governed by not only what the manufacturer deems necessary to send to pins 6 and 14, but also the time and effort to reverse engineer what may or may not be there.

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-11-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:29 PM
malloc
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing back an old thread again! You can get throttle position and a bunch of vehicle parameters but not brake pressure unfortunately. I'm the creator of the app Track Attack (www.trackattack.app) and have worked on OBD a lot! Here’s a Track Attack video with data from a Bluetooth OBD adaptor showing throttle, rpm, etc recorded from my 981 Boxster GTS at the Virginia City Hillclimb (other data includes GPS and all phone sensors)

Old 01-31-2024, 06:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Throttle, engine speed and coolant temp, among a few other less useful measures, are always available through OBDII since 2006 or so, on some before that.

Just no brake info on the standard OBDII info in every car.

No brake info unless a proprietary CAN messaging template (sometimes available via the OBDII connection, sometimes via direct connection to the appropriate twisted pair) is used.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:12 PM
malloc
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Throttle, engine speed and coolant temp, among a few other less useful measures, are always available through OBDII since 2006 or so, on some before that.

Just no brake info on the standard OBDII info in every car.

No brake info unless a proprietary CAN messaging template (sometimes available via the OBDII connection, sometimes via direct connection to the appropriate twisted pair) is used.
Yep that sums it up! Some of the other parameters I request for Track Attack are air intake temp, manifold absolute pressure, engine load. I'll be adding a boost gauge for turbo engines too.
The following 2 users liked this post by malloc:
d-- (02-25-2024), ProCoach (02-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Harry's Lap Timer and brake psi?