Notices

Aftermarket TPMS System with display?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 06:55 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by chudson
I also run a set on my trailer - the unit in the cab easily picks up the pressure signals from that distance. Towing a car trailer and knowing that you don't have a tire going down is very comforting.

Cliff
You're right. I should pick up that style for my trailer, which is a U-Haul at this point, so all the more reason!
Old 01-07-2024, 09:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
Thank you, Frank. You are very helpful guy! If you have used them successfully then that is a good enough reference for me. Pretty fair price too.

I confess some ignorance about physical compatibility of the internal sensor / tire valve with my wheels. Is the interface pretty much standard? I am about to have my wheels rebalanced for the season so I can have the sensors/valves installed then. I believe the shop is very knowledgeable about this (Radial Tire in Silver Spring MD). Paul is the guru there and I am sure he will tell me if they can do it properly.

Thanks again!
There is nothing special about installing the TPMS sensors. Just mark your wheels so you know which sensor is where.
The following users liked this post:
steveP911 (01-07-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:07 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I used these displays for a while with very good results. Worked well, but you need one TPMS set for each wheel set you use. The most expensive part is installing the TPMS sensors on all your wheels:

Amazon.com: U800 Universal TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Inner/External Sensors Celsius or Fahrenheit Temperature Display PSI or BAR Pressure Display Solar Power (inner-sensor, battery replaceable) : Automotive
I did buy this set and had my tire shop install the internal sensors. I noticed a bit more balancing weights than before since my car/wheels had been totally without TPMS. Took me a bit to get everything to work since I didn't realize at first that the sensors will not transmit unless the wheels actually roll a bit. The display won't show pressures until the wheels are "active", so I rolled them around in my shop. Would have been nice if they made that clear in the instructions.

Originally Posted by chudson
I also run a set on my trailer - the unit in the cab easily picks up the pressure signals from that distance. Towing a car trailer and knowing that you don't have a tire going down is very comforting.
Cliff
Found a decent set from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Tymate TM7 Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Wireless TPMS with 4 External Sensors & 6 Alarm Modes, Colorful Display, Real-time Tire Pressure Monitor System, Ideal for RV SUV MPV Truck Sedan (0-87 PSI) : Automotive Amazon.com: Tymate TM7 Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Wireless TPMS with 4 External Sensors & 6 Alarm Modes, Colorful Display, Real-time Tire Pressure Monitor System, Ideal for RV SUV MPV Truck Sedan (0-87 PSI) : Automotive
$40. Display plugs into accessory outlet and then you just install the sensor caps on the correct wheels. This system works right away. Checked it out on my truck and its tires. I will have to reset once I install on the UHaul trailer wheels. I will feel much safer, so thanks for the advice.
ProCoach (03-04-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 10:00 AM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

I have tested out the internal sensor TPMS recommended by Frank, and I find it works very well! I carefully set my fronts and rears, then rolled off (it takes motion to reset the values) - display values were exactly the same as my set pressures. Got about 3 psi rise during yesterday's drive to Tech Inspection. Thank you, Frank!

I also tested out the external sensor TPMS mentioned above (Tymate TM7) on my truck, using the truck tires, and found it works great. I will reset the HI/LO alarms once I move the sensors to the trailer (Thursday). I will feel much more comfortable with that. Thank you, chudson.

Always appreciate the great advice!!
Old 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
I have tested out the internal sensor TPMS recommended by Frank, and I find it works very well! I carefully set my fronts and rears, then rolled off (it takes motion to reset the values) - display values were exactly the same as my set pressures. Got about 3 psi rise during yesterday's drive to Tech Inspection. Thank you, Frank!

I also tested out the external sensor TPMS mentioned above (Tymate TM7) on my truck, using the truck tires, and found it works great. I will reset the HI/LO alarms once I move the sensors to the trailer (Thursday). I will feel much more comfortable with that. Thank you, chudson.

Always appreciate the great advice!!
These sensors saved my bacon numerous times. Once, I was driving to grid at Watkins Glen and ended up with s slow puncture from a piece of carbon fiber I had picked up in the paddock. As I sat on grid, the low pressure warning came on and I went back to the trailer rather than joining others on the track. The second was a low pressure warning at VIR during a session, where again I had picked up a piece of debris somewhere on the track. Third was at the Summit Point Club Race Enduro last year where I somehow ended up with a small puncture in one of my rain tires (right rear). The puncture was small enough to where we could add air the tire during the pit stop again and it bled down again by itself to about 20 psi at the end of the race. It was the right rear, so only important on two corners. Same with my trailer tires - I picked up a nail once, which caused a slow leak and I was able to stop and change it before the tire overheated and came apart.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
steveP911 (03-19-2024), tgsmith4845 (04-17-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:17 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

The external TPMS in my truck worked great and really added to my peace of mind trailering a UHaul. Nice bright display that plugs in the accessory outlet.

Had issues with the internal TMPS on my track car. I think the tire shop did not follow the torque guidelines and I had a stem leaker on day 1. I could see the leak easily once I sprayed with my non-ammonia window cleaner (very foamy and works great). I tightened the stem (built in hex) and checked/tightened all of the others. Over the course of the weekend two more leaked. One time really quickly coming out of grid. My car is now at the shop for something else, so I asked them to check it out. They may have to unmount the tires. Pretty annoying when your TPMS causes leaks. And the display is not bright enough, as I was warned. I may have to make a little house over it.

I know some have said that external TMPS sensors screwed to the valve stems are problematic at high speeds. Maybe during initial high G braking? Or is that not a worry?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:29 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Well, I am throwing in the towel on the internal TPMS in my track car. Too hard to see the psi display, it keeps beeping at me even though I think I have the min/max settings right and I am not below or above them. Then one of the sensors got broken during tire mounting. Finally, today as I was refilling them to get then to street pressures, one of the stem checks got stuck. Had to pry it up with a pointed tool to seat and seal. No coincidence that tire required a few psi bump up after every session this weekend. Maybe it's me but they ended being a PITA so they are coming out and being replaced with sturdy motorsports valves.

Still love the trailer external TPMS setup.
ProCoach (04-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket TPMS System with display?