Notices

VBox Tire Temp Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 04:15 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts
Default VBox Tire Temp Monitor

Does anyone have any feedback on whether this is a useful tool for their track cars? Kinda debating on picking on up to augment my vbox2 setup.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

They have two. A standalone system and an add-on for the HD2.

I think the people who have made the commitment to do this have found benefit. That said, there are few that have done this.

I think if you've maximized your driving, are up to speed very quickly having trained to drive with aggression commensurate with the growing grip as the tires come up to temp on the first hot race lap, you're probably ok.

If you could benefit from the insight on chassis balance, want to optimize tire degradation and want to study how much of the tire tread on each corner you are using at any given time, or are racing in a spec class where everything counts, it's a good idea.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-06-2022, 04:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I have used tire temps with AiM for a long time. I think they are immensely valuable for chassis tuning. They do require a few things - the willingness and ability to make car changes. Things like tire pressure and alignment settings will change the temps, along with driving style. I also recommend a track temp sensor as that is the biggest factor in building tire temp. For analysis, I do not find or think the rainbow graphs are helpful. I think you need hard numbers to see the difference in the temps across the tire to see that they are in the operating range, not a general color that looks hot or cold.

This webinar is the one I did with AiM on tire temp and pressure and how you can use it.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I need to look for it but the 718 GT4 CS cars I work with get basic temps and pressures in the CAN data on the HD2.

The tire temp sensor kit from Racelogic for the HD2 can do 4/8/16 segments across each tire tread, a truly mammoth amount of data. You'll need a CAN Gateway to connect the ECU CAN, the tire temp kit and the OLED to the HD2.

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-06-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think they are immensely valuable for chassis tuning. They do require a few things, along with driving style. I also recommend a track temp sensor as that is the biggest factor in building tire temp.
Agree on chassis tuning. Agree much more can be done with driving style before optimizing the chassis.

I disagree on track temp being the biggest factor in building tire temp. Purely down to how aggressive and how soon that aggression starts and tracks the increasing tire temp and level of grip.

It's why the pro cars are on the limiter exiting the pits.

Raced too many series and won too many races being much better on cold tires, establishing a gap and then maintaining by making no or few mistakes.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:08 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I need to look for it but the 718 GT4 CS cars I work with get basic temps and pressures in the CAN data on the HD2.

The tire temp sensor kit from Racelogic for the HD2 can do 4/8/16 segments across each tire tread, a truly mammoth amount of data. You'll need a CAN Gateway to connect the ECU CAN, the tire temp kit and the OLED to the HD2.

I've got a 981 Clubsport, with MR Gateway.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by thuggo
I've got a 981 Clubsport, with MR Gateway.
No dice. You'll need to add the tire temp sensor kit.

981 GT4 CS with MR Gateway channel list followed by 718 GT4 CS channel list. Obviously, just internal pressures and temps on the 718. Surface temps are better for chassis tuning.

981 GT4 CS MR Channel list

718 GT4 CS Channel list
Old 04-06-2022, 07:21 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No dice. You'll need to add the tire temp sensor kit.

981 GT4 CS with MR Gateway channel list followed by 718 GT4 CS channel list. Obviously, just internal pressures and temps on the 718. Surface temps are better for chassis tuning.

981 GT4 CS MR Channel list

718 GT4 CS Channel list
I'm curious how they are pulling tire temp on the 718....but shoot me a pm when you've got time on a quote for the Addon.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by thuggo
I'm curious how they are pulling tire temp on the 718....but shoot me a pm when you've got time on a quote for the Addon.
I sold my lucrative hardware sales and support business, just consulting and coaching now. But, I will
send a PM with my recommendations and contact info for Ray Phillips, Precision Driving Analytics. He bought my equipment business and is much smarter than me. He can source it and provide it. Good stuff!

Tire temp is from RF sensors from the stems of each tire. It’s really the air temperature inside the tire, plus the pressure, and can be read on the dash and Durametric. It also comes through the vehicle platform CANbus to both AiM and VBOX devices. Pretty cool. Not the tread face, only one number for internal temps. Useful nonetheless.

Contrary to Matt, I find the thousands of colors capable of showing bands of color on the background of the video an ideal tool for most owner/drivers to see and validate exactly what is going on when and where. The same system exists with more work to connect to the HD2 from IZZE racing. Caleb has some great videos that are dead nuts simple to explain how it works. He made a video with MoTeC data overlaid on in car video post processing what VBOX does on the fly. Really cool.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you want to learn about using the data, this book will explain it and not require you to read Peter disagreeing with me.
Amazon Amazon

Jorge also did some webinars that I thought he had recorded for purchase later. I can ask him if you would like info. He also likes track temp and has larger data sets than me
Old 04-06-2022, 09:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt, reasonable people can disagree. That's a good thing!

To do proper analysis of tire temperatures and pressures is not a simple thing. I've been to Jorge's seminar in person in 2008, and again when Matt hosted him in NH.

Fantastic information, but better suited for a team with a dedicated engineer.

YMMV, but there are simpler ways to do this and still get significant benefit.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A nice video on tire pressures and how to quickly analyze them. He put this together after we talked for about an hour one day on the TPMS systems and the data they provide. You can do similar with tire temps.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And of course this information comes through on the VCI (vehicle CAN interface) in the most modern cars, like the 718 GT4 CS and RS CS.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

@ProCoach - Who owns your hardware business now? A friend wants to buy a VBox HD2 Video and I told him how great you were to work with when I got mine.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
@ProCoach - Who owns your hardware business now? A friend wants to buy a VBox HD2 Video and I told him how great you were to work with when I got mine.
Ray Phillips, Precision Driving Analytics of Durham, North Carolina.

He's great, very smart and has inherited the priority delivery from all the franchises I held, AiM Sports, VBOX, MoTeC, Apex Pro, RaceVoice, AutoSport Labs and others.

https://precisiondrivinganalytics.com/products He's in Daytona coaching at a Ferrari Challenge event, but his response time is very good.

Plus, I'm working with him throughout 2022 to make the transition seamless and provide the in the field institutional knowledge no dealer has across a wide variety of hardware and fitments.

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-07-2022 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tgsmith4845 (04-07-2022)

Quick Reply: VBox Tire Temp Monitor