Notices

Update firmware without memory card on Smartycam

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 01:40 AM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Update firmware without memory card on Smartycam

Someone on Rennlist sold me a busted Smartycam, didn't find out until months later as I didn't have track time to test it. Basically the unit turns on, but it can't read or format any memory card. AIM Support said I might be able to update the firmware to see if I can fix the issue. Before I send it in, I would like to see if anyone have instructions on how to update without a memory card. I tried to update via RS3, but it won't do it without the card. Anyone have any idea? If I put in a certain card, it will ask me to format it. Even after I format it, the camera won't read it. I already wasted money buying different cards for this brick
Old 01-11-2022, 07:52 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I don't know of a way to update the camera without a card in it. If there is a way, I haven't done it.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

If RS3 sees the device under "Connected Devices" then that is good, and the first part of the battle.

Using a 2/4/8/16/32 GB full size SD card (all natively formatted in FAT32, no camera formatting required), you could place the fw update on the card, insert the card with the camera off, turn it on press pressing the center button for a moment and continuing holding the right button down, then release the right button when the Linux penguin comes on the preview screen, then follow the on-screen prompts. This will "suck it in."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-11-2022, 11:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If RS3 sees the device under "Connected Devices" then that is good, and the first part of the battle.

Using a 2/4/8/16/32 GB full size SD card (all natively formatted in FAT32, no camera formatting required), you could place the fw update on the card, insert the card with the camera off, turn it on press pressing the center button for a moment and continuing holding the right button down, then release the right button when the Linux penguin comes on the preview screen, then follow the on-screen prompts. This will "suck it in."
Originally Posted by coss1600
Someone on Rennlist sold me a busted Smartycam, didn't find out until months later as I didn't have track time to test it. Basically the unit turns on, but it can't read or format any memory card. AIM Support said I might be able to update the firmware to see if I can fix the issue. Before I send it in, I would like to see if anyone have instructions on how to update without a memory card. I tried to update via RS3, but it won't do it without the card. Anyone have any idea? If I put in a certain card, it will ask me to format it. Even after I format it, the camera won't read it. I already wasted money buying different cards for this brick
He said it won't read any card. Do you know of a way to update the camera without having it see the card? I have never heard of one and the message on the camera is that it has to have a card inserted.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:55 AM
coss1600
Instructor

Spoke to aim, they said to send it back 😟
Old 02-08-2022, 05:49 PM
coss1600
Instructor

AIM is so good. They took the unit in, sent it to Italy to get fixed and are now shipping it back to me for free. Great customer service
The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 10:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome! They are great and the guys are really good. Their customer service is second to none.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:57 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Agree. Every place is trying to cheap out on that side of the business, but Aim earn my business.

i am working with quickjack on the other hand, what terrible customer service. I just returned the unit over a 10 sec adjustment.

Quick Reply: Update firmware without memory card on Smartycam