Notices

PRI Data Report (including AiM Info)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 11:07 PM
jigga009
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
jigga009 -To be completely honest, it sounds like you are having some odd problems that might be hard to produce on other computers. I had a little trouble following everything, but I have not found RS3 to be unstable and certainly not have multiple open CAN configs make anything crash. I have also not had configs change on their own.

I'm willing to try and help you out with this. Shoot me an email - matt@trailbrake.com and lets see what we can figure out. If you have some odd crashes, we'll get Italy involved and see what we can do.
Matt, thanks for the response. I'm appreciative. Do you have access to a Link standalone ECU by any chance? I'm not sure if it would be possible to replicate things unless you had the ECU map (which also includes the "transmit" canbus data stream).

When I sent my MXG configuration files as well as my ECU map to Link's Technical support for diagnosis, they confirmed that they had run into a lot of the issues I have seen, and pretty much echoed ProCoach's sentiments. The advice from the tech support agent I spoke to was not to try to avoid using the canbus gain and offset features on RS3, and instead to try to do as much of that as possible from the ECU side, and then create a math channel on the AiM side to perform any remaining conversion that is required. While this works for the most part as a quick and dirty workaround, it isn't a true solution given how many math channels could potentially be needed to convert the affected parameters that are coming from the ECU.

Are you using manufacturer-supplied canbus streams or are you writing custom streams from scratch?

Unfortunately, I am still unable to display differential fuel pressure from my ECU because the figures being displayed on RS3 appear to have some kind of offset, gain, (or both) applied to it that the AiM side (even though gain is set to 1.0 and offset = 0 on the AiM side). As a result, I'm not even sure as to how to begin structuring a math channel to correct the numbers on RS3.

I guess I will try reinstalling the software and firmware, as well as rewriting my config files from scratch in the hopes of gaining some stability.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by jigga009
Matt, thanks for the response. I'm appreciative. Do you have access to a Link standalone ECU by any chance? I'm not sure if it would be possible to replicate things unless you had the ECU map (which also includes the "transmit" canbus data stream).

When I sent my MXG configuration files as well as my ECU map to Link's Technical support for diagnosis, they confirmed that they had run into a lot of the issues I have seen, and pretty much echoed ProCoach's sentiments. The advice from the tech support agent I spoke to was not to try to avoid using the canbus gain and offset features on RS3, and instead to try to do as much of that as possible from the ECU side, and then create a math channel on the AiM side to perform any remaining conversion that is required. While this works for the most part as a quick and dirty workaround, it isn't a true solution given how many math channels could potentially be needed to convert the affected parameters that are coming from the ECU.

Are you using manufacturer-supplied canbus streams or are you writing custom streams from scratch?

Unfortunately, I am still unable to display differential fuel pressure from my ECU because the figures being displayed on RS3 appear to have some kind of offset, gain, (or both) applied to it that the AiM side (even though gain is set to 1.0 and offset = 0 on the AiM side). As a result, I'm not even sure as to how to begin structuring a math channel to correct the numbers on RS3.

I guess I will try reinstalling the software and firmware, as well as rewriting my config files from scratch in the hopes of gaining some stability.
I don't have a Link ECU, but I might be able to get one. I work with custom CAN protocols, using offsets and gains, all the time for TPMS, IR temps, and biotelemetry. I could guess at a few issues that are going on as I've had trouble with them, but they are not a problem once you know what is going on. I would really like to help you out with this if you want it.

I'd rather take this to email and get the AiM people who can work on it involved. If we can give them the specifics of the Link ECU, channels, AiM dash model, FW, etc., then we can work through things and get it right. Matt@TrailBrake.com

Old 12-20-2021, 09:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by jigga009

I would do the last sentience first.

Then, the most expedient thing would be to reach out to AIM Sports directly, specifically Robbie Yeoman, get the .dbc from Link (they’ll give it to you) and work with him to have that supplied .dbc imported into an .xc1.

This has worked for me in the past with a number of ECU’s in purpose built race cars, Cosworth and Marelli. There’s no “translation” or maths required then. Very clean.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-20-2021, 09:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I would do the last sentience first.

Then, the most expedient thing would be to reach out to AIM Sports directly, specifically Robbie Yeoman, get the .dbc from Link (they’ll give it to you) and work with him to have that supplied .dbc imported into an .xc1.

This has worked for me in the past with a number of ECU’s in purpose built race cars, Cosworth and Marelli. There’s no “translation” or maths required then. Very clean.
The only problem is you are telling him to go to the busiest guy at AiM, who is on the road supporting races, and handles a ton. The entire group at AiM is sharp. While some haven't done as much with CAN and certain setups, they know the system and are not only willing to learn, but have access to help users who have trouble. Unless it's something very specific, it behooves the user and AiM to let the techs help as appropriate.

The dbc import is not hard and something I do a ton. It's something any astute dealer can do. It's also not always the best way.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The staff at AiM Sports is a huge resource, certainly ready, willing and able to help.

This is a relatively common aftermarket ECU, and it turns out there’s already organizational knowledge within the group.

The .dbc import is indeed pretty simple. But, if they’ve offered to help, why not take advantage of it?
Old 12-21-2021, 07:38 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jigga009 - shot you a PM yesterday. Happy to help and get the right people involved to solve your problems. Just let me know.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:43 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Jigga009 - shot you a PM yesterday. Happy to help and get the right people involved to solve your problems. Just let me know.

Matt, thanks for the response. I'll be in touch shortly.. I'm composing an email right now.
Old 01-01-2022, 06:53 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Matt. Any word on CANbus channel limits?
Old 01-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker
No. I didn't get a clear answer on that, but there are a lot of things at work behind the scenes right now. It's something that is being requested from a lot of fronts, so I think we will see it, but I'm not sure when.
The following users liked this post:
Slakker (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 11:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Any word on CANbus channel limits?
Nicest thing is that there is not the current SmartyCam sampling rate restriction in the upper range of the new cameras.

So, usable information can be displayed and calculated in RS3A beta, not just a topical review.

They made it a point at PRI to state that the goal of the integral bridges in the upper range of the new cameras could be to use the cameras as standalone loggers, as well as cameras. Good stuff!
Old 01-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nicest thing is that there is not the current SmartyCam sampling rate restriction in the upper range of the new cameras.

So, usable information can be displayed and calculated in RS3A beta, not just a topical review.

They made it a point at PRI to state that the goal of the integral bridges in the upper range of the new cameras could be to use the cameras as standalone loggers, as well as cameras. Good stuff!
That is not locked in yet. There are a lot of details, like this, that were not answered. As you were not at PRI, I would not suggest making the statement that you have here yet. Email does not always get all the details.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And you know nothing of my communications about with AiM principals and employees.

You’re not the sole font of AiM information, much as you’d like to come off that way.
Old 01-02-2022, 12:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And you know nothing of my communications about with AiM principals and employees.

You’re not the sole font of AiM information, much as you’d like to come off that way.
Not after they found the bug I planted. That made it harder again. But as you weren't there and don't have a bug on me, you also have no idea what I have discussed with people What you are stating is not set in stone. As you have said before, we won't know what is available until it is available. Hopefully they will hit the stated date of next month on the Sport being released and then we can see in March what the others have in store. Certainly exciting times.

And don't forget to pickup milk on the way home from the coast.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The data sheet (released a few weeks after PRI) shows that the dual camera GP3 includes an Ethernet bulkhead connection off the main harness (22pin Autosport) from the unit itself. Multiple CANs, too.

That and the massive storage capacity shows that there is really good headroom to grow here.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Peter - Congrats

Quick Reply: PRI Data Report (including AiM Info)