Notices

Getting into the data with Porsche Track Precision

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 07:37 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,111 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Getting into the data with Porsche Track Precision

So I have finally dialed in a good template in racerender that I can use with Porsche Track Precision and my GT4. I have data for wheel slip and understeer/oversteer visualised, but the problem is these are somewhat arbitrary units of measure, and I don't know what actually constitutes an optimal slip angle and when it has gone too far.

I am using the OEM Michelin Cup 2 tyres, and am keen to know what their optimal slip is in traction zones and yaw through corners? Some meaning behind the understeer and oversteer numbers would be good also.

If I can quantify what these optimal slip angles are on these tyres I will be able to add the ideal numbers to my data overlay and be able to do a better job of identifying areas where I am overdriving/underdriving and make better choices with setup and alignment changes. So far I am doing most of it by feel but if I can shortcut that with some solid numbers then that will help a lot. I think this is how PTP defines its "Drive to your limit" measure but I don't know how that number is actually derived so it's not very useful to me.

Here's a video of my latest hot lap. If anyone knows what the numbers coming out of PTP actually mean then please share so we can understand it a bit better!

Last edited by Reedy; 12-08-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Nice
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-01-2022, 03:52 PM
VoodooUomo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi! Any chance you're willing to share your race render template? I struggled to create one but I was rushing. Couldn't even find room to define all the custom parameters.
I'd have to take a look at the data to try and interpret some of these values. Generally speaking, understeer and oversteer are defined in terms of front:rear slip angle ratios, > 1 is understeer and < 1 is oversteer. I don't know if that's the definition they're using in the app.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:38 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,111 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooUomo
Hi! Any chance you're willing to share your race render template? I struggled to create one but I was rushing. Couldn't even find room to define all the custom parameters.
I'd have to take a look at the data to try and interpret some of these values. Generally speaking, understeer and oversteer are defined in terms of front:rear slip angle ratios, > 1 is understeer and < 1 is oversteer. I don't know if that's the definition they're using in the app.
Yep sure, PM me your email address and i'll send it to you.

Quick Reply: Getting into the data with Porsche Track Precision