Notices

PDM 32 Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 09:33 AM
freeride
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Great work!

I'm getting ready to install a PDM08 (thanks Matt!), and have a question.

In programming your PDM32, did you use the internal status bit "safeignition"?
It seems to have the incorrect conditionals in RSA3, and am wondering if it works if I program it using conditionals other than equal to 'on' or 'off', which aren't available.

The following users liked this post:
DTMiller (06-15-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 10:12 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Safe Ignition Is your Ignition Input wire It is on (1) when power is applied to the wire and off when no power is applies (0). so if you want to use it to control another function I would think you would us a value equal to 1 for on. or 0 for off. I only used that input as described in the manual to turn on the display when the ignition key is on.

Last edited by dgmark; 12-03-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:15 AM
freeride
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgmark
Safe Ignition Is your Ignition Input wire It is on (1) when power is applied to the wire and off when no power is applies (0). so if you want to use it to control another function I I would think you would us a value equal to 1 for on.
Yea, that makes sense. I'll probably set up a bench test and see if there's a value that behaves like a status bit conditional. Was hoping you had been through this.
DTMiller (06-15-2022)
Old 05-26-2023, 08:51 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Just wanted to share a picture of the beginning stages of my PDM32 install in my dry sump, LS3 powered 996. Working through the rest of the wiring but man am I looking forward to the capabilities.

Matt Romanowski (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 06:10 PM
freeride
Instructor

Looking good!

2 things (I have an older PDM08, so maybe a new PDM32 is different, but):

- The input that can be used to keep the PDM awake after the "IGN" input goes to ground, needs to be at something well under 5v, or the PDM won't turn off. So be careful what you decide to measure on that input.
- The settings in RSA3 to set the orientation such that the accelerometers are correct, is wrong (has been forever). Lateral and Vertical are correct, but InLine is 180 deg out (backwards).

zbomb (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 06:19 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by freeride
Looking good!

2 things (I have an older PDM08, so maybe a new PDM32 is different, but):

- The input that can be used to keep the PDM awake after the "IGN" input goes to ground, needs to be at something well under 5v, or the PDM won't turn off. So be careful what you decide to measure on that input.
- The settings in RSA3 to set the orientation such that the accelerometers are correct, is wrong (has been forever). Lateral and Vertical are correct, but InLine is 180 deg out (backwards).
Those would be the 11 and 12 inputs I believe. I am planning to have one of those be the fuel pump trigger from the ECU and the other is currently unused but that very well may change.

Up to speed on the accelerometer config quirk.

Thanks for the tips ! If you would be up to sending me your config file I would love to look it over as I educate on that part of the process by seeing what others have done. No worries if not.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:31 PM
freeride
Instructor

Originally Posted by zbomb
Those would be the 11 and 12 inputs I believe. I am planning to have one of those be the fuel pump trigger from the ECU and the other is currently unused but that very well may change.

Up to speed on the accelerometer config quirk.

Thanks for the tips ! If you would be up to sending me your config file I would love to look it over as I educate on that part of the process by seeing what others have done. No worries if not.
PM sent with link to my latest config.

There's one more bug that I remembered. It's a weird one, so I'm not sure how pervasive it. But it has to do with units in the Math channels. For a particular equation where I select PSI for one of the values, it seems to actually use Bar, and I have to create a multiplier to fix it. So if you see math channel results that don't make sense, it could be a similar unit-conversion bug.
zbomb (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 08:55 PM
freeride
Instructor

They have their fair share of bugs, but they're pretty powerful, and when you compare to what else is out there, the PDM's are a pretty good deal.

FYI, one thing in recent RSA3 releases, is you can set the "start recording data" and "stop" using different parameters. Not sure the loggers can do that yet.
zbomb (05-27-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 02:26 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by freeride
I just want to give you a nice slow clap here for this statement - well done and advice that should be headed for anyone reading this thread planning their install.

In my original response to you I thought I would be good as I was only using one of the inputs you reference and at the time, I thought it was a switch to ground that the ECU was going to send to trigger the fuel pump.

Well.. As I got into system testing, I realized I was wrong and the ECU actually sends a 12V signal out for FP control, no big deal, switch the config for a +12V and fuel pump is working perfect. Well, had completely forgotten about your advice above. When I finally troubleshot my way to getting the motor running (different issue completely insufficient operator), I found that my kill switch would no longer kill the electrical system. It took a bit and a call to Matt but I stumbled my way back to exactly what you told me here, that 12V was keeping all of the systems active (exception, dash display).

My fix was relatively straightforward, I swapped the pins for the fuel pump and injector/coil trigger, the injector/coil trigger does use a switched ground signal and now the system behaves as desired. This was preferable to other options as it maintains the GM ECU control over the fuel pump which to me, was better than me programming logic to control it safely. If I was to make a suggestion(s) to the Aim folks:

1. Enable/disable function for input CH 11, 12 to remain powered when the main 12V is removed from the ignition input - the fact that they can only be used for switched grounds limits their usefulness to some extent.
2. An option where if the system will stay on due to 12V on one of those inputs, the ability to dictate what outputs you want to be active under that condition.

I will say, the Aim PDM is such a beneficial piece of kit, the wiring on my car is so simplified and there are so few wires required to run the car, its really amazing and the Aim SW has by and large been really friendly to work with. Yes, it has taken some time and some help to learn but for me, it's been like a language and the more you immerse the more proficient you can become, this is starting off from the point of minimal experience.

And, Matt has been, as always, the most supportive vendor I buy stuff from to work with. Above and beyond.

Lastly... A dry sump LS3 powered, Aim PDM controlled Porsche 996 track car coming to life for the first time - enjoy

Last edited by zbomb; 07-16-2023 at 03:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
Matt Romanowski (07-16-2023), ProCoach (07-16-2023)

Quick Reply: PDM 32 Install