Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de-233/)
-   -   Aim on M1 Mac with Parallels? (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/1274700-aim-on-m1-mac-with-parallels.html)

gregturek 10-28-2021 11:32 AM

Aim on M1 Mac with Parallels?

Has anyone tried, and succeeded, running Race Studio on an M1 cpu (ARM) Mac with Parallels?

Thanks,
Greg

dbbarron 10-28-2021 02:34 PM

I have not, but I am curious too!

I did install Monterey and Parallels 17 on my 2015 MBP last night and it seems MUCH faster and more stable.

iamuwere 11-01-2021 02:06 PM

It is getting a bit frustrating after all these years that AIM still doesn't have a Mac option. MacBook win every best laptop review and I'm growing tired of keeping a separate laptop just for car use. With Bootcamp disappearing, it is time for RaceStudio to make the leap.

ProCoach 11-01-2021 04:36 PM

There’s only one serious analysis and configuration program for Mac OS natively.

Motec, Bosch, AIM, Race-Keeper, Race Technology, Cosworth. All are Windows only.

GroupJ 11-02-2021 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 17759173)
There’s only one serious analysis and configuration program for Mac OS natively.

Motec, Bosch, AIM, Race-Keeper, Race Technology, Cosworth. All are Windows only.

And that would be?

ProCoach 11-02-2021 10:05 AM

https://vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.p...rcuit-tools-us

I've got a fair number of folks who use the Mac OS and iOS native versions trackside and at home.

Typically, their shop or coach has a Windoze laptop (or I'm using my Core i9 Boot Camp enabled MacBook Pro) trackside, that is IF we want to dig in deeper on the AiM/MoTeC/Cosworth collected information, provided the car is equipped with that.

gregturek 11-03-2021 01:13 AM

OK, I'm getting comfortable with my new 14" m1pro MacBook Pro. Nice machine BTW. My old Intel MAC version Office 2016 seems to work transparently with Rosetta 2, maybe faster than my 2013 15" MacBook Pro. I might hold off getting Office 2021 Home and Business for a while.

So next steps:

Buy and install Parallels.
Buy and install Windows (Need to decide on Win 10 or Win 11)
Install AIM Race Studio (Need to decide on Analysis 2 or 3)
Drive up to Milwaukee and test the new configuration on my MXL 2.

Wish me luck. I'll let you. know how it goes.

Greg

ProCoach 11-03-2021 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by gregturek (Post 17762434)
OK, I'm getting comfortable with my new 14" m1pro MacBook Pro. Nice machine BTW. My old Intel MAC version Office 2016 seems to work transparently with Rosetta 2, maybe faster than my 2013 15" MacBook Pro. I might hold off getting Office 2021 Home and Business for a while.

So next steps:

Buy and install Parallels.
Buy and install Windows (Need to decide on Win 10 or Win 11)
Install AIM Race Studio (Need to decide on Analysis 2 or 3)
Drive up to Milwaukee and test the new configuration on my MXL 2.

Wish me luck. I'll let you. know how it goes.

Greg

Would recommend Win10 for now. I have tested Win11 (new Surface Laptop Studio) with RS2/RS3/RS3A beta and it works fine, but we know Win10 works fine with Parallels 11(?) right now.

Would recommend RS3 AND RS3A beta. RS3 for hardware config and RS3A beta for analysis.

Matt Romanowski 11-03-2021 12:03 PM

I know people running Windows 11 without trouble and Roger talked about it yesterday in the webinar.

As for M1 Mac, it is all being looked at, but I don't know enough about it to say anything publicly. If someone has it working or not, it would be interesting to hear.

ProCoach 11-03-2021 12:23 PM

Matt, with the introduction of the M1, M1 Max and M1 Pro, the in-house chip and architecture of the new Apple computers, the option of running Windows natively under Boot Camp, with no virtualization and leveraging all of the considerable power on these computers, is no longer possible.

The introduction of the latest release of Parallels17 does allow virtualization of a Windows environment on these new computers, but with some performance limitations (especially graphical performance) and some HW interface caveats, as it has in the in the past.

Windows 11 installation requires a specific hardware security feature not present or needed in the Mac environment. There are workarounds to install Win11, at least so it will operate natively under Boot Camp on the Intel processor equipped Macs with registry hacks.

Parallels reports that it IS currently possible to run Win11 in a virtualized environment provided by Parallels 17. See here: https://www.parallels.com/products/d...saAsL7EALw_wcB

Win10 works great on all recent versions, at least according to a broad range of users with the new M1 Apple hardware.

Matt Romanowski 11-03-2021 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 17763059)
Matt, with the introduction of the M1, M1 Max and M1 Pro, the in-house chip and architecture of the new Apple computers, the option of running Windows natively under Boot Camp, with no virtualization and leveraging all of the considerable power on these computers, is no longer possible.

The introduction of the latest release of Parallels17 does allow virtualization of a Windows environment on these new computers, but with some performance limitations (especially graphical performance) and some HW interface caveats, as it has in the in the past.

Windows 11 installation requires a specific hardware security feature not present or needed in the Mac environment. There are workarounds to install Win11, at least so it will operate natively under Boot Camp on the Intel processor equipped Macs with registry hacks.

Parallels reports that it IS currently possible to run Win11 in a virtualized environment provided by Parallels 17. See here: https://www.parallels.com/products/d...saAsL7EALw_wcB

Win10 works great on all recent versions, at least according to a broad range of users with the new M1 Apple hardware.

I have all that, but it's another issue that is being worked on. Like I said, there are people working on it in various ways and it's outside the scope of where I go. When I have something that I can report back on, I will :)

ProCoach 11-03-2021 01:20 PM

Does that mean you have information that RaceStudio does NOT work in a virtualized environment on the latest processor Apple computers? Confused...

Shouldn't be an issue...

Matt Romanowski 11-03-2021 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 17763206)
Does that mean you have information that RaceStudio does NOT work in a virtualized environment on the latest processor Apple computers? Confused...

Shouldn't be an issue...

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 17763185)
When I have something that I can report back on, I will

I can not confirm nor deny my downfall.

Matt Romanowski 11-03-2021 02:29 PM

Got some more info. PM me if people need it.

ProCoach 11-03-2021 04:17 PM

If it can help people, especially lurkers since this may be a more common problem than you think, why don't you share it?