Notices

VBOX Newb-Add Gear to Scene?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 08:09 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default VBOX Newb-Add Gear to Scene?

Greetings. I just purchased a new car (Revolution A-one) that is having a VBOX Video HD2 installed at the factory and I am interested in creating a custom scene that includes the Gear shown. I believe the car has a Life Racing ECU. I have never used a VBOX before but I've been playing with VBOX Video a bit. The car arrives in about a month and the factory does include a decent scene with everything I like but it's missing the gear, which I find helpful.

I have AiM and Motec in other cars. Is there an easy way to add the Gear in a scene or do I have to manually include the RPM range for each gear to make it work? Candidly, I have not asked the factory if they can do this either but I'm also interested in learning how to do this stuff myself.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-26-2021, 08:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

The Life ECU (F88? Can you confirm?) should send gear, as does MoTeC, to the VBOX VCI (vehicle CAN interface). To build a calculated (Speed/rpm range = gear) is a PITA, but doable.

Here is the channel list for cars equipped (and there are many) with the Life F88 ECU: https://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloa...Racing-F88.pdf

VBOX Video is the right software not only to build the scene (the background of the video and the information on it) but also tell the HD2 what measures, what car, what speed and whether termination or send acknowledge to the ECU is required in the communications.

It would save you a LOT of time for them to equip the HD2 with their scene (that they themselves or in concert with the UK manufacturer of the HD2, Racelogic built), then connect with the phone app and have the HD2 export the scene. Then, the CAN .ref (racelogic encrypted file) and the framework is there for you to add custom ELEMENTS, or individual icons, text with parameters or an image animated with the channel measure information.

Interesting car. Wish they had more hard information on the electronics on the website.

After MoTeC and AiM, you should find this more usable, quick to find opportunities and very intuitive.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-26-2021, 08:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You could add gear by selecting Text element and then assigning that element to CAN, then the measure Gear.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:54 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The Life ECU (F88? Can you confirm?) should send gear, as does MoTeC, to the VBOX VCI (vehicle CAN interface). To build a calculated (Speed/rpm range = gear) is a PITA, but doable.

Here is the channel list for cars equipped (and there are many) with the Life F88 ECU: https://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloa...Racing-F88.pdf

VBOX Video is the right software not only to build the scene (the background of the video and the information on it) but also tell the HD2 what measures, what car, what speed and whether termination or send acknowledge to the ECU is required in the communications.

It would save you a LOT of time for them to equip the HD2 with their scene (that they themselves or in concert with the UK manufacturer of the HD2, Racelogic built), then connect with the phone app and have the HD2 export the scene. Then, the CAN .ref (racelogic encrypted file) and the framework is there for you to add custom ELEMENTS, or individual icons, text with parameters or an image animated with the channel measure information.

Interesting car. Wish they had more hard information on the electronics on the website.

After MoTeC and AiM, you should find this more usable, quick to find opportunities and very intuitive.
Thanks Peter! Yes, confirmed the car has a Life Racing F88 ECU, Life Racing PDUX3 PDU, Life Racing SD4 Steering Wheel/Display and a Life Racing AG50 GPS/YAW Accelerometer.

Revolution did send me their scene but I was surprised it didn't show the gear thus the reason I am interested in customizing one for my needs. I know the data in the VBOX is a bit duplicative to the Life Racing SD4 Steering wheel but I was intrigued with the ease of popping an SD card from the VBOX into my laptop after a session or day at the track and having data/video that is well supported here in the U.S. I'm looking forward to taking delivery so I can explore the car on and off track. I'll give your suggestion a try by assigning am element to the CAN.

I appreciate the quick response and insight!

Best,
Adam
Old 09-26-2021, 10:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by alevine
Thanks Peter! Yes, confirmed the car has a Life Racing F88 ECU, Life Racing PDUX3 PDU, Life Racing SD4 Steering Wheel/Display and a Life Racing AG50 GPS/YAW Accelerometer.

Revolution did send me their scene but I was surprised it didn't show the gear thus the reason I am interested in customizing one for my needs. I know the data in the VBOX is a bit duplicative to the Life Racing SD4 Steering wheel but I was intrigued with the ease of popping an SD card from the VBOX into my laptop after a session or day at the track and having data/video that is well supported here in the U.S. I'm looking forward to taking delivery so I can explore the car on and off track. I'll give your suggestion a try by assigning am element to the CAN.

I appreciate the quick response and insight!

Best,
Adam
Adam, can you email me the scene?

I'd like to see it.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-26-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:23 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Yes, of course! Will do.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks. What I sent back should do MUCH better!

Quick Reply: VBOX Newb-Add Gear to Scene?