Notices

Racelogic Vbox Performance Touch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 08:09 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Racelogic Vbox Performance Touch

I'm thinking of upgrading my Vbox Sport to the new Performance Touch. I'm mainly interested because of the predictive lap timing.
I'm wondering how this works. Does the display just continually show how far off to the reference lap you are? Or does it show +/- based on each segment or corner that you are in?
Also, what reference lap does it use--the fastest in that session, or one that you can designate?
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (10-25-2023)
Old 07-16-2021, 10:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

The new VBOX Performance Box Touch does a lot of things really well.

You can let it grade you against the previous best of the session, or load another lap (from any VBOX device) to compare yourself against that reference lap. This is the Delta-T feature, common among a lot of loggers. Not common is the GPS position comparison, which makes it more accurate than other devices using lap distance that may or may not compensate for differences in driving distance into the lap.

The Delta-V feature helps with entry and exit speed, as well, indicating whether you're doing better or not as well entering and exiting. This is where most people really need help.

A LOT more accurate and reliable than phone apps, also files can be analyzed like you're doing now with the VBOX Sport in CT2.

A more complete explanation of Delta-T and Delta-V.

The real-time feedback of the Delta-V can answer a lot of questions AND help you tune the car, tire pressures, et cetera. Here's a case study:

Let me know if I can help. I've been using one for about a year. Good upgrade.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Larry Cable (10-25-2023)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:02 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Peter,
Thanks for the quick and detailed response. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to make room in my racing budget for this upgrade!
ProCoach (07-16-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:29 PM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems cheaper to use my vbox sport with Harry’s, it does the same thing
Old 07-29-2021, 11:47 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the best place to buy a VBOX Lite 2 camera system?
(Sorry to pop on here with that)
Thanks
Old 07-29-2021, 01:08 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
Where is the best place to buy a VBOX Lite 2 camera system?
(Sorry to pop on here with that)
Thanks
ProCoach / Peter above is the best place. Everyone I know...including myself have bought through him.
The following 2 users liked this post by thuggo:
KOAN (08-06-2021), Larry Cable (10-25-2023)
Old 07-29-2021, 02:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by thuggo
ProCoach / Peter above is the best place. Everyone I know...including myself have bought through him.
Thank you!
Old 10-25-2023, 08:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,361 Posts

@ProCoach any thoughts/advice on merging video with vbox pro touch telemetry, is this something you can do with their app (and perhaps one of their hd lite cameras) after the fact?

TIA
Old 10-25-2023, 09:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
@ProCoach any thoughts/advice on merging video with vbox pro touch telemetry, is this something you can do with their app (and perhaps one of their hd lite cameras) after the fact?

TIA
Larry, I assume you're talking about the Performance Box Touch (relatively cheap) versus VBOX Touch Motorsport (not cheap).

The Perfomance Box Touch is a great dash readout with good information and a large bright screen. Also, it does record GPS, lap timing, speed and track position to an SD card. It can export that information to merge with almost any video with software like RaceRender, but it does not have a camera interface or a car CAN/OBDII interface.

I am using a few HD Lites ($960 with car cables) right now, which record up to eight CAN channels from modern cars, auto synced video and can, post-session using VBOX Video Setup software, overlay all that info (plus GPS and your custom graphics) onto the video taken by the HD Lite camera.

Most folks would buy a $680 OLED Mini Display and plug it into the HD Lite to see the same kind of information, albeit on a lot smaller display, as the Performance Box Touch. Features like Delta-V (difference in speed at any point in the corner via colored LED lights), Delta-T (running tally of how far ahead or behind your best lap in time at any given point on the track) are all available on both devices, but I find the ease of use with the data and video on the same chip, with the post production to jazz up the good lap, from the HD Lite to be the best and easiest to use tool. Glad to answer any more questions.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Larry, I assume you're talking about the Performance Box Touch (relatively cheap) versus VBOX Touch Motorsport (not cheap).

The Perfomance Box Touch is a great dash readout with good information and a large bright screen. Also, it does record GPS, lap timing, speed and track position to an SD card. It can export that information to merge with almost any video with software like RaceRender, but it does not have a camera interface or a car CAN/OBDII interface.

I am using a few HD Lites ($960 with car cables) right now, which record up to eight CAN channels from modern cars, auto synced video and can, post-session using VBOX Video Setup software, overlay all that info (plus GPS and your custom graphics) onto the video taken by the HD Lite camera.

Most folks would buy a $680 OLED Mini Display and plug it into the HD Lite to see the same kind of information, albeit on a lot smaller display, as the Performance Box Touch. Features like Delta-V (difference in speed at any point in the corner via colored LED lights), Delta-T (running tally of how far ahead or behind your best lap in time at any given point on the track) are all available on both devices, but I find the ease of use with the data and video on the same chip, with the post production to jazz up the good lap, from the HD Lite to be the best and easiest to use tool. Glad to answer any more questions.
ah crap ... I shoulda got the HDLite!
ProCoach (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The HD Lite is a pretty powerful little logger/camera. Amazing for $890-$900. Completely compatible be with circuit tools 2 and video/data made by ANY other Racelogic video/data or data logger.

Most folks don’t use more than eight CAN channels, but throttle, brake (if the car has that on CAN), steering and some health measures are all there.

Standalone, you get all the g, combined g, sector mapping, heading (super important when comparing two different lines and apex approach angles), data and VIDEO Ideal lap, lap times, speeds and auto synced video, all on one card out a device you can hold in the palm of your hand.

The video quality is terrific and the only major thing it gives up to the HD2 is the real time rendering of the information on the video, but you can do that afterwards in pretty short order with a few mouse clicks in VBOX Video with no data export or jiggling with start finish.

If you want to see your laptimes or predictive, or use the powerful delta-v LEDs, the OLED Mini plugs right in. It’s all very portable, too.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:59 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The HD Lite is a pretty powerful little logger/camera. Amazing for $890-$900. Completely compatible be with circuit tools 2 and video/data made by ANY other Racelogic video/data or data logger.

Most folks don’t use more than eight CAN channels, but throttle, brake (if the car has that on CAN), steering and some health measures are all there.

Standalone, you get all the g, combined g, sector mapping, heading (super important when comparing two different lines and apex approach angles), data and VIDEO Ideal lap, lap times, speeds and auto synced video, all on one card out a device you can hold in the palm of your hand.

The video quality is terrific and the only major thing it gives up to the HD2 is the real time rendering of the information on the video, but you can do that afterwards in pretty short order with a few mouse clicks in VBOX Video with no data export or jiggling with start finish.

If you want to see your laptimes or predictive, or use the powerful delta-v LEDs, the OLED Mini plugs right in. It’s all very portable, too.
so to summarize if I want video + the lap timer & delta-v feedback the HD lite + OLED mini is the answer?

ProCoach (10-26-2023)
Old 03-27-2024, 04:32 PM
wayne5w
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new VBOX Performance Box Touch does a lot of things really well.

You can let it grade you against the previous best of the session, or load another lap (from any VBOX device) to compare yourself against that reference lap. This is the Delta-T feature, common among a lot of loggers. Not common is the GPS position comparison, which makes it more accurate than other devices using lap distance that may or may not compensate for differences in driving distance into the lap.

The Delta-V feature helps with entry and exit speed, as well, indicating whether you're doing better or not as well entering and exiting. This is where most people really need help.

A LOT more accurate and reliable than phone apps, also files can be analyzed like you're doing now with the VBOX Sport in CT2.

A more complete explanation of Delta-T and Delta-V. https://youtu.be/2__L7jgSxrM

The real-time feedback of the Delta-V can answer a lot of questions AND help you tune the car, tire pressures, et cetera. Here's a case study: https://youtu.be/nYZ5AsbJEtw

Let me know if I can help. I've been using one for about a year. Good upgrade.
Hi Peter,

I am wondering if there are any other lap timers that offer a Delta-V capability? I am trying to compare the Aim Solo 2 versus the VBox Lap Timer. My application is for a Radical SR10. I race it in the Radical Cup North America. My background is WoO Dirt Sprint cars so it's been quite a learning curve. I leverage iRacing to work on tracks and technique and the delta bar in iRacing is fantastic. So ultimately that is what I am trying to replicate.

Regards,
---Wayne.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wayne5w
Hi Peter,

I am wondering if there are any other lap timers that offer a Delta-V capability? I am trying to compare the Aim Solo 2 versus the VBox Lap Timer. My application is for a Radical SR10. I race it in the Radical Cup North America. My background is WoO Dirt Sprint cars so it's been quite a learning curve. I leverage iRacing to work on tracks and technique and the delta bar in iRacing is fantastic. So ultimately that is what I am trying to replicate.

Regards,
---Wayne.
There is a data logging display that can do Delta-T in numbers and bars. The MoTeC color displays, but that's $3K (for the C125) plus the track kit (antenna, button kit, power harness).

The AIM Solo 2 can show Delta-T in color and number of LED's on each side of the display (I usually set them for 0.10 sec apart).

But, there are NO displays other than the VBOX Lap Timer or the Performance Box Touch that do Delta-V, which I think is the main challenge everyone has. The bar graph AND the color and number of LED's is something you can process while in your peripheral vision, and adjust incrementally next lap.

Tells you more on track than any other useful measure, IME. Red Delta-V too soon is bad. Or, too late.

I have an unused demo VBOX Lap Timer with antenna and power cable that I used for my sim for sale reasonably ($750 shipped), and I have a new, never used in the factory box first gen VBX Performance Box Touch for $500, shipped, if you're interested. The newer models have 25 Hz GPS instead of 10. Works fine for this.

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-27-2024 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Racelogic Vbox Performance Touch