Notices

AiM Pedal Position sampling freq mismatch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 08:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The Smartycam puts the data on the video real time so it doesn't have to be done manually after (as you know). That is the critical part.
No, that simple capacity is NOT the critical part.

The critical part is being able to have WITHIN the analysis window, auto-synced video, so that ALL the data, strip charts, maps, measures and maths, as well as the video, can be seen at once.

Finally...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
sometime (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 01:07 AM
sometime
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Although it doesn't involve racing or the automotive industry, my day-to-day involves developing next generation camera and sensor systems. A camera is just another type of sensor, one that captures a vast amount of data, but data that is very hard to extract quantifiable information from. Typically I consider video from cameras as a way of providing context to sensor data for an event. The thermocouple, linear potentiometer, or hall effect sensor gives you the what, often the video can give you the why. The evolution of this is the application of machine learning technology for computer vision so that video sensor data can be quantified.

The trouble with being involved in the development of these systems is I look at how old the SmartyCam camera tech is and the price, and can't bring myself to buy one. You can overlook the hardware cost if the associated software rocks, but although I like RS2A, AFAIK it doesn't do SmartyCam video and the RS3A beta has not filled me with joy.

As some one very much into data, I get more out of the graphs then the video. Just now and again, like in this thread, getting some additional context helps you trust those squiggly lines
Old 11-30-2020, 01:09 AM
sometime
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The critical part is being able to have WITHIN the analysis window, auto-synced video, so that ALL the data, strip charts, maps, measures and maths, as well as the video, can be seen at once.
This is the way to watch the video
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (11-30-2020)

Quick Reply: AiM Pedal Position sampling freq mismatch?