which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Matt is all about sensors....
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you have a SCHD already, get the RPM cable and you'll have good driver data and synchronized video for now.
I'm just over here suggesting to use what he has. When you get used to using RS3 Analysis, it is really great. The profiles I've been sending to people have really made a difference for them getting a jumpstart on analysis and learning about their driving more. Happy to share it with you if you want.

You are right that if someone wants to know something, I suggest measuring it rather than guessing. With a car like this that is 22 year old now (but young compared to my historic 50 year old 914), you have to add the sensors the manufacturer didn't make available.

For katmeho, if you want the RPM cable, it's available here https://trailbrake.com/solo-2-dl-2m-rpm-power-harness/ I've got 8 in stock, so no trouble getting one right out to you.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:16 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, I see, that cable is dedicated to RPM, thanks Matt. One question. With that cable, we wire this into the back of the OBD II port, pin 9 for the tach and take power and ground from there?
Old 02-07-2021, 04:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Power and ground at the OBDII cable are on all the time, not switched by ignition.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-07-2021, 04:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by katmeho
Ah, I see, that cable is dedicated to RPM, thanks Matt. One question. With that cable, we wire this into the back of the OBD II port, pin 9 for the tach and take power and ground from there?
You could certainly go that way to make it easy. You can also use something like https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...-tap/32416_0_0 if you want to go off the fuse box for power.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Actually, you want to use the right kind of fuse (ATC, not ATM) for that.

This one: https://www.autozone.com/starting-ch...-tap/32414_0_0
Old 02-12-2021, 01:38 PM
GearC4Se
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 996.2 and have been e-mailing with AIM customer service for at least 18 months, since I bought my S2DL and it didn't pull data from the OBDII. Kept hearing "Italy software guys are working on it" and tried the Bosch and ISO9141_2 profiles to no avail multiple times, and whenever there was a software update. Seems the guys at AIM are not being straightforward with their customers, but maybe they really don't know. ProCoach, specifically you noted the 996.1 and 986 don't work with the S2DL but does that go for the 996.2 as well? Would a CAN dash connection work? If this is so widely known, I have to question why a dealer would sell a S2DL to anyone with a 996 or 986 and not just recommend the S2. Wonder if there's a market for a hardly used S2DL?
Old 02-12-2021, 01:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GearC4Se
I have a 996.2 and have been e-mailing with AIM customer service for at least 18 months, since I bought my S2DL and it didn't pull data from the OBDII. Kept hearing "Italy software guys are working on it" and tried the Bosch and ISO9141_2 profiles to no avail multiple times, and whenever there was a software update. Seems the guys at AIM are not being straightforward with their customers, but maybe they really don't know. ProCoach, specifically you noted the 996.1 and 986 don't work with the S2DL but does that go for the 996.2 as well? Would a CAN dash connection work? If this is so widely known, I have to question why a dealer would sell a S2DL to anyone with a 996 or 986 and not just recommend the S2. Wonder if there's a market for a hardly used S2DL?
I'm not sure who has helped you at AiM, but shoot me an email at matt@trailbrake.com and I can give you the whole story if you want. Short version is on a .2 you want the CAN connection. The reasons behind buying an S2 and a S2DL are pretty varied but include using a camera, ECU or RPM feed, future use, other cars, etc. This is where consulting with a great dealer helps. Plus, then if there is a mistake, they will make it right. If you want the CAN cable, it's available here https://trailbrake.com/solo-2-dl-2m-...l-ecu-harness/
Old 02-12-2021, 02:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GearC4Se
ProCoach, specifically you noted the 996.1 and 986 don't work with the S2DL but does that go for the 996.2 as well? Would a CAN dash connection work? If this is so widely known, I have to question why a dealer would sell a S2DL to anyone with a 996 or 986 and not just recommend the S2. Wonder if there's a market for a hardly used S2DL?
I'm glad to send you a plug and play connection cable for this car. Wouldn't require any tools except a 10mm combination wrench. $76.45 shipped.

Plus, I'll walk you through updating your S2DL.

The 996.2 (2002-2005) cars WILL work with the Bosch 911 (996) protocol. Can send a picture guide with the cable.

The reason why is because many manufacturers before 2008 did not supply CAN information to the OBDII port.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:39 PM
GearC4Se
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, it's good to know I can use the S2DL, just need to connect it right. Thinking through how to best get that done.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:27 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Power and ground at the OBDII cable are on all the time, not switched by ignition.
That's true for pin 16. But Pin 1 is power that's switched on when the ignition is on in a 986.1 (I tested this morning using my multimeter).

Got the idea from a friend, who I believe got it from here:
http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_OBDii.html

And I confirmed in my testing. I also confirmed Pin 16 is always hot, per the OBD specification (or whatever it is that dictates what the pins are).

So is it confirmed that the K-line gives you nothing in 986.1 cars?

Old 02-15-2021, 08:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Then, use the RPM cable to the Solo 2 DL with power to Pin 1, Ground to Pin 4 and tach wire to Pin 9.

I've tested ISO 9141/2 but not K-Line. That doesn't work...
Old 02-15-2021, 08:58 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Then, use the RPM cable to the Solo 2 DL with power to Pin 1, Ground to Pin 4 and tach wire to Pin 9.

I've tested ISO 9141/2 but not K-Line. That doesn't work...
Sorry, not sure I follow. Are you saying the K-line doesn't work, or that you haven't tested it?

(I'm also not using a DL myself, I'm setting up an MXS. Just wanted to make sure folks know they can pull switched power from pin 1 if they need it.)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by saamyjoon
Sorry, not sure I follow. Are you saying the K-line doesn't work, or that you haven't tested it?

(I'm also not using a DL myself, I'm setting up an MXS. Just wanted to make sure folks know they can pull switched power from pin 1 if they need it.)
I'm saying that AiM has to have a "driver" or a protocol that matches the mode of connection to the car. They don't have one listed for this car under K-Line, they do under ISO 9141/2.

The latter is too slow and the former doesn't have a driver associated with it. I have not tested K-Line.

The Solo 2 DL and the MXS use the same driver set for all cars.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:06 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

I'm saying that AiM has to have a "driver" or a protocol that matches the mode of connection to the car. They don't have one listed for this car under K-Line, they do under ISO 9141/2.

The latter is too slow and the former doesn't have a driver associated with it. I have not tested K-Line.

The Solo 2 DL and the MXS use the same driver set for all cars.
I see, I understand now. Under ISO 9141/2., were you trying to pull RPM from there as well, was that what was too slow? I was hoping to just pull water temp (which doesn't need to have a super high update frequency).
Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Water temp and Intake air temp may be the only worthwhile things you can get from ISO 9141/2. RPM and TPS are definitely too slow to be usable.

Used to be that if you select an ECU Stream to get some of the channels from that, you couldn't use the conventional square-wave RPM signal under Channels. But that seems to be fixed.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Quick Reply: Solo DL2 in a 986 boxster