Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasilko
To clarify, since it was me :-)
MacOS not iOS. The memory card adaptor certainly makes RS3 under VMware much more usable. I've got the memory card module next to the smartycam, so I just pull out 2 cards when I want to download data (one from the SCHD and one from the memory module).
It's all fruity computers to me

But it was you and I thought it was a great solution.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Ethernet is way easier. Having to switch wireless networks to download from the AiM dash is a bit of a pain under vmware.

It's better using Bootcamp, which is what I ended up running on my MBP. Ultimately I didn't care for swapping back and forth on the OS, and I preferred taking a $700 2-in-1 PC to the track over my $$$$ MBP that has all my really important stuff on it other than racing.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I think AiM has made a good effort to integrate their software into virtualized environments (Parallels/VMWare) for regular users. Lots better now than when it started. They provide great support to help people navigate the connectivity issues.

As a Mac user at the track for work for the past fourteen years, using AIM software and hardware nearly every day (well, about every week now), I have always used and recommended Windows booting natively on a Mac using Boot Camp.

I have had NO troubles with more than a dozen separate Mac computers over that time span. I do believe the Mac hardware is better made, more robust, MUCH higher performance and, of course, more expensive than most Windows hardware. I like being able to see the screen in the sun. I like the aluminum body. I don't mind dual booting. It just works...

I've had as much or more connectivity (primarily USB) issues with Windows ultrabooks and tablets than with all the Macs combined.

This, of course, will not be possible with Apple Silicone being introduced and the loss of the Boot Camp option. This is not just an AiM issue, it's for all the logging hardware and software manufacturers that don't have an iOS and/or a Mac OS native app.

I hope and pray that first we'll get the originally promised "stripper" iOS app that will allow streamlined basic analysis of limited measures from AiM devices. Then, down the road, perhaps a native Mac OS app in time for Apple Silicone.

The iOS app will certainly allow a majority of casual users to review their performance between sessions and come up with a plan without lugging laptops to the track. I have a hell of a lot more than 15% of my customer base, now more than 4500 people, who would do that in a SECOND.

I think an AiM Sportline Mac OS native app could allow a whole new group of users to be happy and comfortable using RS3 in an environment they already know, appreciate and enjoy.

My .02

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
lazz (04-21-2021), Signore116 (09-11-2020)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:01 AM
lazz
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

I came here looking for info on M1 processor Mac support. Bootcamp isn't really an option. The lookout seems pretty grim.

I spun up a Windows 10 arm VM and Race Studio 3 x64 will install on it, but Race Analyzer bails out with an MS ODBC error. Perhaps Microsoft's x64 emulation will get better with time.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lazz
I came here looking for info on M1 processor Mac support. Bootcamp isn't really an option. The lookout seems pretty grim.
Yep. I just bought the latest, loaded Core i9 16” MBP because of not only the lack of Boot Camp support but the very slow rollout of VM emulation functionality for Windows on an M1 machine. Don’t see bright signs on the horizon, either.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:24 PM
lazz
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Edit: this works, but it still has odbc problems updating the test database on subsequent runs. I'd still recommend a proper x86 laptop for serious Race Studio use.

Doubling back to report a little success: I managed to get RaceAnalysis2 to run on my M1 Macbook Air

Windows 10 arm just started supporting x64 in December, but apparently has had 32-bit x86 emulation support for a while. I figured "maybe I can get it to run in 32 bit mode?"

The baseline is: install Parallels, install a win10 vm, then download and install Race Studio. The hack to get it to run is to right click on RS2Analysis.exe in Explorer and click "Troubleshoot Compatibility". In the troubleshooter, I selected "the program opens but doesn't display correctly" and on the next screen with options about color errors and whatnot, select "I don't see my problem listed". After a next there, it'll give you a screen listing "Settings applied to RS2Analysis: - Emulation Settings: Safe emulation"

Click the button to test it, then tell it to save this setting (assuming it works as expected). It works for me for basic import of data files and throwing some stats on the Measures Graph.

Last edited by lazz; 04-29-2021 at 12:20 AM. Reason: status update
The following 2 users liked this post by lazz:
erliuic (03-19-2022), ProCoach (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

nice!
Old 04-21-2021, 04:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

nice!
Thanks. Great info.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:40 PM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone tried RS3 on an M1 mac yet?
Old 01-16-2023, 01:30 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I think some folks have posted on the AiM facebook group that it works, but I recall there are USB driver issues.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Matt / ProCoach -- Race Studio3 for Mac OS