Need some help selecting a dash/data logging system

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 08:49 PM
tneocli
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Need some help selecting a dash/data logging system

Hello everyone

I am trying to decide on a dash/data logging system with a camera/telemetry overlay for my cayman that is currently undergoing a race car conversion for pca club racing.

I don’t have much experience with data logging systems. I ran an aim solo dL 2 for a season with a go pro for video. I had a lot of issues with the go pro so didn’t bother using any of the data from the solo. Just used it for lap timing.

Im currently looking at the aim mxs strada 1.2 with the data logging, aim smarty cam hd with a camera for back up. My goals are to use the mxs as a dash, lap times, back up camera, and log data for review and overlay onto the video. I would like a simple easy to use system that will accomplish everything I need without any complications or having to upgrade components regularly.

Hope to hear some comments and suggestions from those with experience so I can pull the trigger before the season starts.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 09:05 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're buying new, don't buy the strada version. That's the street-car focused version. It uses a different harness and doesn't do logging (though you can add it as an option).

Get the MXS 1.2.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:19 PM
tneocli
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwasilko
If you're buying new, don't buy the strada version. That's the street-car focused version. It uses a different harness and doesn't do logging (though you can add it as an option).

Get the MXS 1.2.

yes thank you I just realized that. I know there are different harness options as well. I’m installing this on my 981 cayman s so would like to utilize as many functions as possible.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by tneocli
yes thank you I just realized that. I know there are different harness options as well. I’m installing this on my 981 cayman s so would like to utilize as many functions as possible.
On your 981 Cayman, this is easy, as a great deal of information is available with a two-wire connection to the car. On the new 1.2 versions of the MXS (not the Strada version, but the full featured one), the back up camera is easily integrated (although the rear view cannot be recorded) for backing up, and the SmartyCam HD can easily be integrated with the MXS 1.2 so that there are no batteries to charge and no buttons to push.

I'm glad to supply this system configured, set up for your car and preferences, to be as plug and play as possible and provide installation and first use support.

Let me know if I can help, please contact me directly.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2020, 11:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Agree with the above - I've done the logging kits on the Strada, but it's not really price or feature effective. You can do the street icons on the logging MXS 1.2 if you wanted.

What I would recommend is the regular MXS 1.2, standard harness, 4m GPS cable. I've done tons of these into lots of the Caymans and Boxsters that you see featured around. It's a really nice setup and gives you great data over the CAN connection. Install is as easy as hooking up 12v, ground, CAN+, CAN-. The hard part is just doing it tidy and nice.

Feel free to call or text me if you have questions about an AiM setup - my cell is 603-674-3250. I'm on EST. Email is matt@trailbrake.net if that works better. I sell the setups configured and ready to go. I also support you for as long as you need it.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

If you are primarily focused on the video with data overlay, don't rule out the two camera VBOX systems. PCA recommends (and it should be a requirement soon) that you record rear facing video as well.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And I am the largest North American dealer for Racelogic's Video VBOX!

PM me.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:51 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And I am the largest North American dealer for Racelogic's Video VBOX!

PM me.
We're all a bit larger after the holidays...don't be so hard on yourself
Old 01-06-2020, 06:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose

Yep, that volume will get you every time!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
That's a good one!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:51 PM
tneocli
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys for all your input. I am definitely leaning towards the mxs 1.2. Where do most people mount it in the caymans? I've seen a few in front of the cluster and some to the right of the steering wheel next to the vent.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tneocli
Thank you guys for all your input. I am definitely leaning towards the mxs 1.2. Where do most people mount it in the caymans? I've seen a few in front of the cluster and some to the right of the steering wheel next to the vent.
Because of the amount of information gotten from the 981, you can put it in front of the stock cluster and not lose any utility.

All of the 981 GT4 CS Trophy East and West cars from a few years ago use the mandated MoTeC C125 display logger, which is canted towards the driver and mounted in front of the upper center vents.

If you like the standard cluster, or have visibility issues with the the shift lights or alarms with the MXS 1.2 forward of the wheel straight on, the center vent location is an option.

That said, I just outfitted a two car team with MXS 1.2’s displays they’ll put forward of the steering wheel (along with VBOX HD2’s for multi-camera video and far easier, quicker analysis for driver development) in Atlanta. Everything integrates nicely in these cars.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My customers have mounted them in front of the standard cluster. Coupled with a SCHD, they get great automatic video and data.

The center option is done and people do it through some of the center areas of the dash. I don't think it's most effective, but if you added an SLM, it may work very well. Joe Hullet and Chris Brown did a great job setting up the protocol and dashes for so many of those Trophy cars!
Old 01-09-2020, 11:02 PM
BnS Racing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tneocli: Also look at a RoadKeeper system from Trivinci. We've been in the data acquisition business for over 10 years. Power connection is only hookup to be ready to go. PM me for discounts available. Software is a free download so you can try before you buy.

Bill
Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

If you don’t need to share Aim data with your friends, you might consider the Motec C125 setup. Personally I find the Motec software to be more feature rich and easier to setup and use. The cost willl be a bit higher though.

Quick Reply: Need some help selecting a dash/data logging system