MXL2 inputs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 02:01 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts
Default MXL2 inputs

Hi all,

I just got an AiM MXL2 and Vbox Video HD2 systems to replace my aging Traqmate. I plan to run inputs into the MXL2 and use it for my dash, and then push the data over to the Vbox for post race data/video analysis.

I plan to connect my AiM 2000 brake pressure sensor and TPS signal into the analog channels on the MXL2. For those inputs, do I just hook up the signal line on pin 1 of the connector, or do I need gnd, Vbattery (12), and Vreference (5v) also?

TIA,
Tim
Old 12-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Assuming you have a standard 37 pin harness, then you just use a patch cable to connect the brake pressure sensor to the harness analog channel (say 1). If you are tapping into a TPS sensor, then you would use the sensor signal output into the signal wire of the patch cable. Dash config will be to select the appropriate brake pressure sensor and then you would have to make a custom sensor based on the closed and open values from the TPS.

DId you get the MXL2 from a dealer or used?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Hi all,

I just got an AiM MXL2 and Vbox Video HD2 systems to replace my aging Traqmate. I plan to run inputs into the MXL2 and use it for my dash, and then push the data over to the Vbox for post race data/video analysis.

I plan to connect my AiM 2000 brake pressure sensor and TPS signal into the analog channels on the MXL2. For those inputs, do I just hook up the signal line on pin 1 of the connector, or do I need gnd, Vbattery (12), and Vreference (5v) also?

TIA,
Tim
I’ve done this many, many times. You never need 12V batt for an analog sensor input for the MXL2. Almost every automotive based TPS (C5 Corvette, 951 Porsche for instance) are already fed a regulated 5V reference voltage. All you need is the voltage divided signal from the TPS back to the ECU.

It’s easiest to buy two 719-719 patch cables from AiM.

Install one between the brake pressure sensor (make sure to pick the right one, there are three 0-2000 choices, each one is different in RS3) and CH2 input on the MXL2 harness.

Plug in the other to the dash harness CH1 for the TPS, cut off the plug at the sensor end (if you’re making a direct connection or connecting a third party or OEM sensor) and the color codes are Red=vBatt+, Black=Ground, Blue=5V vRef, White=Signal. Connect the ground and the white to the TPS out, set up the TPS in RS3 on CH1 as throttle percentage Cal (manually calibrate after the config is transmitted to the MXL2) and you’re done.

For the VBOX, you’ll need an RLCAB145L cable to plug into the CAN Exp port (or if you don’t have any free, into a Data Hub from AIM that makes one Exp port into four female ports so the antenna and VBOX can be connected to the MXL2. Set up the AiM MXL2 to send the relevant channels to the SmartyCam stream (tab in the RS3 config set up) to have the dash send the channel info messages to the VBOX, make up the scene for the HD2 so it knows what info is coming through and how to display it, and you’re set.

I’d sending two AiM logger/VBOX HD2 setups now (preconfigured so it’s plug and play) out today. As a huge dealer for both lines (and four more, as well), it’s the best of both worlds. Let me know if you’d like help doing this.

EVO4S with two Lamda controllers, Texense IAT, manifold vacuum, TPS and brake pressure with VBOX Video HD2 for a pair of winning team cars in Historic racing.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Assuming you have a standard 37 pin harness, then you just use a patch cable to connect the brake pressure sensor to the harness analog channel (say 1). If you are tapping into a TPS sensor, then you would use the sensor signal output into the signal wire of the patch cable. Dash config will be to select the appropriate brake pressure sensor and then you would have to make a custom sensor based on the closed and open values from the TPS.

DId you get the MXL2 from a dealer or used?
Thank, Matt. I appreciate your expert input. I actually bought these from WRR when they had their holiday sale last week. I’m a cheap Porsche SPB racer SOB and couldn’t pass up the savings.

Tim
Old 12-11-2019, 01:57 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’ve done this many, many times. You never need 12V batt for an analog sensor input for the MXL2. Almost every automotive based TPS (C5 Corvette, 951 Porsche for instance) are already fed a regulated 5V reference voltage. All you need is the voltage divided signal from the TPS back to the ECU.

Install one between the brake pressure sensor (make sure to pick the right one, there are three 0-2000 choices, each one is different in RS3) and CH2 input on the MXL2 harness.

Plug in the other to the dash harness CH1 for the TPS, cut off the plug at the sensor end (if you’re making a direct connection or connecting a third party or OEM sensor) and the color codes are Red=vBatt+, Black=Ground, Blue=5V vRef, White=Signal. Connect the ground and the white to the TPS out, set up the TPS in RS3 on CH1 as throttle percentage Cal (manually calibrate after the config is transmitted to the MXL2) and you’re done.

For the VBOX, you’ll need an RLCAB145L cable to plug into the CAN Exp port (or if you don’t have any free, into a Data Hub from AIM that makes one Exp port into four female ports so the antenna and VBOX can be connected to the MXL2. Set up the AiM MXL2 to send the relevant channels to the SmartyCam stream (tab in the RS3 config set up) to have the dash send the channel info messages to the VBOX, make up the scene for the HD2 so it knows what info is coming through and how to display it, and you’re set.

I’d sending two AiM logger/VBOX HD2 setups now (preconfigured so it’s plug and play) out today. As a huge dealer for both lines (and four more, as well), it’s the best of both worlds. Let me know if you’d like help doing this.

EVO4S with two Lamda controllers, Texense IAT, manifold vacuum, TPS and brake pressure with VBOX Video HD2 for a pair of winning team cars in Historic racing.
Thanks, Peter. I appreciate your expert input also. Very helpful.

Tim
Old 12-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank, Matt. I appreciate your expert input. I actually bought these from WRR when they had their holiday sale last week. I’m a cheap Porsche SPB racer SOB and couldn’t pass up the savings.

Tim
Next time checkwith me and I'll usually match prices. Then you get the easiest way!
Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Next time checkwith me and I'll usually match prices. Then you get the easiest way!
Roger
Old 12-11-2019, 05:12 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Peter,

I have the 719 - 719 cables for the analog inputs. I also have the RLCAB145 cable for AiM to Vbox connection.

To clarify, my SPB has the AEM2000 30-2130-2000 2000 PSIG Sensor Kit for bps.

For TPS, you say to connect the ground and the white to the TPS out. Should I do that for BPS also?

Tim

Old 12-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For brake pressure, you work be best off cutting off the male end of the AiM patch cable and installing the appropriate AEM connection. the ones I have used from them are a DTM if I remember right. They usually have a connector kit available with their sensors. They also have their calibrations available online as well.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You'll need to feed the 5V ref voltage (blue) to the AEM sensor, then white to signal output and black to ground.

Here is the sensor calibration. https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...sor%20Data.pdf
Old 12-12-2019, 03:28 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

You'll need to feed the 5V ref voltage (blue) to the AEM sensor, then white to signal output and black to ground.

Here is the sensor calibration. https://www.aemelectronics.com/files...sor%20Data.pdf
The AEM2000 is already grounded. Do I also need to ground the cable?
Old 12-12-2019, 03:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You must connect white/blue/black to the appropriate pins on the sensor.

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns...-2130-2000.pdf
Old 12-14-2019, 10:51 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

You must connect white/blue/black to the appropriate pins on the sensor.

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns...-2130-2000.pdf
Roger. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:51 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Got the MXL2 installed and everything seems to be working correctly. Had to apply “/3” to get RPM to read correctly.

I’d like to show gear on the display. How does the “Calculated gear” function work? I see where to select “GPS Speed” and “RPM” for the calculation, but where do I input gear ratios?

1998 Spec Boxster
Old 12-26-2019, 10:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Got the MXL2 installed and everything seems to be working correctly. Had to apply “/3” to get RPM to read correctly.

I’d like to show gear on the display. How does the “Calculated gear” function work? I see where to select “GPS Speed” and “RPM” for the calculation, but where do I input gear ratios?

1998 Spec Boxster
Calculated gear will figure out your gearing based on RPM and GPS Speed. I've always found it to work very well and able to do it in most cars.

Precalculated Gear (a different math channel() is where you enter your ratios.

Quick Reply: MXL2 inputs