New 2020 AiM Sportline Racing Products Catalog out

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts
Default New 2020 AiM Sportline Racing Products Catalog out

Some pretty cool stuff here! https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...guide_2020.zip

Combo PDM/logger with either 6" or 10" color display looks really cool.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Very nice - it's great to see this year's Racing Guide. It's been really hard to not say anything about the PDM! Seeing it in person was great and I can't wait to see the actual 10" display (it wasn't done when I was in Milan).
Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Any idea what the programming environment for the PDM is like?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwasilko
That should be evident when they release the next RS3 application.

Form what I’ve seen, it’s more flexible than the other loggers, but of course it integrates PDM functions.

I like the one-box solution (logger/PDM) and the separate display. Helps with harness layout. I think you could use the 10” screen, if it will fit!
Old 12-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwasilko
Yes 😁

It is in the AiM style and is like the dash but has extra tabs for the PDM power outputs and options. It's very much like the alarm configs.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:31 PM
drsrock
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking for a PDM to use with my Motec C127, Is the AIM PDM still a good option?
Old 12-07-2019, 06:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Being both an AiM and a MoTeC dealer, I don't know the answer to that question, yet.

I think interoperability between systems is a desirable thing. I frequently assemble different systems (for instance VBOX and MoTeC, or AiM and VBOX) that complement each other, but each system offers different areas of exceptional competency. The communications templates have been worked out, tested, are reliable and stable.

The PDM is not only a control device, it's an intelligent allocation device, one that can sense problems before it's a real issue.

The MoTeC PDM is just that, and integrates FULLY and easily with your C127. You can log and control, via CAN, all the consumers wired through the PDM with the C127.

The AiM is a full blown PDM, with an AiM logger (with external slave, or expansion display capability integrated) built in. It has three CAN networks, two of which are configurable, as far as I know, but modeled after their display logger configuration. I suppose if you were not using the ECU logging capability of the AiM PDM and reserved the C127 for that, then you could use the CAN 1 and CAN 2 on the AiM PDM to communicate with the C127. You would still have to configure the AiM PDM separate and away from the MoTeC for connected consumers.

Of course, the AiM PDM can be used as a standalone device. But it remains to be seen how to build a template for bi-directional communication between the the C127 and the AiM PDM that allows control of the PDM by the C127. Certainly possible on the MoTeC side, for sure.

As soon as I get one, I'll start work with a C125 and see how it works out.

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-07-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: We'll see
Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by drsrock
I was looking for a PDM to use with my Motec C127, Is the AIM PDM still a good option?
I'd say it depends on your goals and systems. There are a few things that the AiM PDM won't do that MoTeC devices do, but it's a very solid unit in regards to configuration, power throughput, and communication. As Peter pointed out, it has the AiM proprietary CANbus and then 2 user configurable - just like the current dash offerings. You can certainly configure it to work with your C127 and communicate back and forth. Anyone good with CAN protocols could do it. Without knowing your car, configuration, and needs, it's hard to say which is the best way to go.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:51 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

What does PDM stand for, in this context?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Difool
What does PDM stand for, in this context?
Power Distribution Module. A lot of purpose built GT and sports racing cars use these to control and measure voltage and current supplied to all electrical consumers in the car, monitor charging and battery state, all kinds of things electrical.

The 991 GT3 Cup has integrated a Cosworth PDM (IPS32) since 2014, as does the GT3 R.

It’s a great diagnostic tool, too, for the cars that have them installed.

When people tear their harness out to “save weight,” thus replaces all the fuses, relays, this is the heart of what you put back in.

The MoTeC, Cosworth and some other PDM’s incorporate membrane switch panels to reduce the amount of current fed through those switches, incorporate switch lighting, etc.

Downside is you’ll need a complete custom harness for the car if you integrate one of these: Not for street cars or even modified street cars, really for built-from-the-ground-up race car builds.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Power Distribution Module. A lot of purpose built GT and sports racing cars use these to control and measure voltage and current supplied to all electrical consumers in the car, monitor charging and battery state, all kinds of things electrical.

The 991 GT3 Cup has integrated a Cosworth PDM (IPS32) since 2014, as does the GT3 R.

It’s a great diagnostic tool, too, for the cars that have them installed.

When people tear their harness out to “save weight,” thus replaces all the fuses, relays, this is the heart of what you put back in.

The MoTeC, Cosworth and some other PDM’s incorporate membrane switch panels to reduce the amount of current fed through those switches, incorporate switch lighting, etc.

Downside is you’ll need a complete custom harness for the car if you integrate one of these: Not for street cars or even modified street cars, really for built-from-the-ground-up race car builds.
The AiM unit will work with membrane panels, regular switches, or momentary switches. It does take a custom harness, but it's something that is becoming more and more common.

There are many modified street cars that are running them in many forms. It's a great way when you want advanced power functions.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:27 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

For the experts if I may - on the new SmartyCam GP HD 2.2 version, it says that an ECU bridge may no longer be necessary to directly connect the camera to an ECU.

I have a 718 Clubsport coming which I understand has a Cosworth ECU/logger, 3 questions I'd appreciate any help with:

1. Do I still need an ECU bridge to connect the SC GP HD 2.2 to the Cosworth ECU or the new direct CAN ECU connection suffices?
2. Do I need the GpS08 external AIM GPS antenna to overlay lap times to the video even if the SC GP HD 2.2 is connected to the Cosworth ECU where the Cosworth logger will have a dedicated GPS antenna or beacon?
3. CAmera comes with a 4th expansion connection. Any suggestions what to use it for?

Thank you in advance
Karim
Old 12-14-2019, 09:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kkabba
For the experts if I may - on the new SmartyCam GP HD 2.2 version, it says that an ECU bridge may no longer be necessary to directly connect the camera to an ECU.

I have a 718 Clubsport coming which I understand has a Cosworth ECU/logger, 3 questions I'd appreciate any help with:

1. Do I still need an ECU bridge to connect the SC GP HD 2.2 to the Cosworth ECU or the new direct CAN ECU connection suffices?
2. Do I need the GpS08 external AIM GPS antenna to overlay lap times to the video even if the SC GP HD 2.2 is connected to the Cosworth ECU where the Cosworth logger will have a dedicated GPS antenna or beacon?
3. CAmera comes with a 4th expansion connection. Any suggestions what to use it for?

Thank you in advance
Karim
No ECU Bridge required with the V2.2. A CAN (ECU CAN+, ECU CAN-, power and ground) cable for the V2.2 is required. If you terminate that cable correctly with a DT06-04S, you get everything you need less GPS info from the port on the car in the passenger side door sill.

Yes, you need a GPS-08B for GPS speed, track position and lap timing info for the camera, for this application.

AiM SmartyCam V2.2 to Porsche 718 GT4 CS and VBOX HD2 to Porsche 718 GT4 CS harnesses ready for shipment.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another cool thing in the pipeline is a 8 channel PDM expansion that will work with the announced PDM units AND all new loggers. This will add tremendous capabilities for people. Still being prototyped with hopeful arrival around March. I spent some time with one of the hardware designers and saw some really cool schematics, board designs, and chip mountings.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It would be great to see the PD08 and the PD32 in dealer inventory sometime during Q2. Let's walk before we run!

Quick Reply: New 2020 AiM Sportline Racing Products Catalog out