Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts
Default AiM Update for MXL2, MXS, MXG, EVO4S, and EVO5

AiM released firmware updates this morning for MXL2, MXS, MXG, EVO4S, and EVO5 this morning that have important GPS updates. If you have one of these units, I really recommend doing this update as it's important to the GPS function and data alignment. Details at https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/sw-fw-download.htm#firmware
Old 12-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The forever job of updating AIM hardware.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Wait until after the race weekend.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 771 Likes on 385 Posts

I always recommend to just open RS3 before you leave, download all the updates, and just push them to the units when you get to the track if you get a chance.
or if its working fine and you don't have time, wait until you're ready to leave or get home.
It's really no different than your phone, apps or Office 365, they just do updates in the background automatically. Since we don't use our cars every day...(though I wish we did).
I just did our MXL2 before I loaded the car in the trailer (headed to Roebling Road as a vendor and doing a little driving)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wait until after the race weekend.
I disagree. The GPS problem this is fixing is with the synch of data to the GPS measures. There is no way to know that it happened until you download the data, so you have bad data for a session. The problem fixes itself with the next power cycle of the unit. I've had this problem on a few units over a while and have problems in some really good data (lap record kind of laps).
Old 12-05-2019, 06:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’m with Bob. Download the firmware updates within RS3 so you have them, but wait on transmitting until you have time to test. This is true for large updates, feature intros and the like.

As you say, we have seen channels misaligned with the GPS measures in a small percentage of the units out there.

Bottom line, is IF you’re trying to address a specific problem, then go ahead and update the Thursday-Friday of a race weekend.

This is especially true for incremental, light firmware updates, bug fixes being the main payload.

It doesn’t matter what the system or manufacturer is, including laptop and portable computer updates. If you’re not trying to address a specific issue or series of issues, leave it alone until you have time to test, hopefully before going to the racetrack.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:52 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

not mxp?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by spg993tt
not mxp?
No. That is a different generation of logger and didn't have the problem.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by spg993tt
not mxp?
Steve, the newer generation loggers (S2, MXP, MXS 1.2 and MXG 1.2) had this update pushed out via firmware update a few months ago. So you’re set.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

I understand your point, however for me it seems that AIM is always updating itself for trivial issues that should have been hashed out during/around inception of the product. I'm just not a fan of AIM products because of this and some other reasons.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
I understand your point, however for me it seems that AIM is always updating itself for trivial issues that should have been hashed out during/around inception of the product. I'm just not a fan of AIM products because of this and some other reasons.
I can certainly understand that. The problems can be annoying all the way to completely frustrating and leave with the feelings you have. The backwards compatibility can create some problems in the systems and there has been a lot of work in the background to try and eliminate problems from the start. With the diversity of the product line, installed base, and complexity in systems, some problems will be had. These GPS problems were from a change in the GPS system, not in how AiM handled it according to my understanding, but I could be wrong.

If there is anything I can ever help you out with in regards to AiM, please reach out.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I can certainly understand that. The problems can be annoying all the way to completely frustrating and leave with the feelings you have. The backwards compatibility can create some problems in the systems and there has been a lot of work in the background to try and eliminate problems from the start. With the diversity of the product line, installed base, and complexity in systems, some problems will be had. These GPS problems were from a change in the GPS system, not in how AiM handled it according to my understanding, but I could be wrong.

If there is anything I can ever help you out with in regards to AiM, please reach out.
Thanks for that msg, Matt! I appreciate that.

Quick Reply: AiM Update for MXL2, MXS, MXG, EVO4S, and EVO5