Notices

AIM Timing precision

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 AM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts
Default AIM Timing precision

Does anyone know what precision AIM stores lap times at? A friend of mine and I are both at 2.02.409 when we look at our best Watkins Glen laps in the data. Our cameras had different settings so showed 2.02.40 vs 2.02.41. Is there a way to show more digits in the data analysis?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 12:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Hahaha! I think so. In the device config for the logger, I believe, but not on the camera.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-14-2019, 12:52 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Bigger question, is how does AIM get timing? Since it is by GPS position relative to known Start/Finish line, then that's where the accuracy begins.

If AIM's GPS receiver is 10Hz, then that is your accuracy and moving to higher precision doesn't make your time more accurate.

For AIM GPS based timing, I just use tenths of a second.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Bigger question, is how does AIM get timing? Since it is by GPS position relative to known Start/Finish line, then that's where the accuracy begins.

If AIM's GPS receiver is 10Hz, then that is your accuracy and moving to higher precision doesn't make your time more accurate.

For AIM GPS based timing, I just use tenths of a second.
A guy like Roger can answer better than me, but it's more accurate than the 10 hz GPS by itself. They use the accelerometers to interpolate position in-between measurements. I'd say it's normally accurate to the hundredths, but that is also dependent on the accuracy of the timing loop to the GPS start finish.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by mlct
Does anyone know what precision AIM stores lap times at? A friend of mine and I are both at 2.02.409 when we look at our best Watkins Glen laps in the data. Our cameras had different settings so showed 2.02.40 vs 2.02.41. Is there a way to show more digits in the data analysis?

Thanks
Does it really matter, just asking?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:23 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
A guy like Roger can answer better than me, but it's more accurate than the 10 hz GPS by itself. They use the accelerometers to interpolate position in-between measurements. I'd say it's normally accurate to the hundredths, but that is also dependent on the accuracy of the timing loop to the GPS start finish.
Which is why in our DE Cup Championship Series, we only go to the tenths of a second.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by awew911
Which is why in our DE Cup Championship Series, we only go to the tenths of a second.
That's why I was laughing at the original post. One logger rounds up, one logger rounds down. I'd swap, if I were him.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That's why I was laughing at the original post. One logger rounds up, one logger rounds down. I'd swap, if I were him.
I don't think he was talking about a logger going up or down, I think he's talking about the data having 3 decimal places and the SCHD video having 2. You'll see the same variance in numbers from the data to the video in RPM, speed, and lap time. It's due to the rounding and info processing for the video.

I've had long talks about the data handling with the Italians about this.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, I'd want the "faster" camera, if I were the guy with the "slower" camera! Hahahaha!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 AM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks all. A great point about GPS accuracy that had not occurred to me.

I did have the "faster camera" but the data shows a tie and Luigi's lap came first so I believe he is "ahead". We will have to settle this next year as we shoot for the sub two minute GTB1 guys.

Mark
Old 10-24-2019, 10:07 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Hi All,

GPS time is a surprisingly complex subject. To begin with, time is a byproduct from providing position. Your time accuracy maxes out at your accuracy (ft or meters) divided by speed of light - figure 1 ft = 1ns. Sooooo if you have 20 ft accuracy you are looking at 20ns time accuracy. That said, GPS position information (from the satellites) is at a 1Hz update rate. Anything better is a result of interpolation in the form of (usually) Kalman filtering and partial updates AND your local oscillator. It can be quite good, but depends on the implementation. Then there is the reporting and time-stamping - If you are using Linux as an OS (which I am pretty sure AIM does) then 1 ms latency is as good as it gets ( I am making some assumptions here).

Bottom line is that without properly designed equipment 1ms accuracy starts to get a bit iffy...

Ray
Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think your assumptions are mistaken. When I look at the testing and validation equipment of major OEM manufacturers (Porsche, among them), it’s quite good.

Here’s some good information by a company that has been building signal generators for GPS device calibration (including military) since 1991.

https://www.vboxautomotive.co.uk/ind...cy#gps-factors
Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Then, there is the etesta upgrade to the MoTeC GPS-L10 with test results here: http://etesta.com/new/new-gpsl20-20h...for-motec.html
Old 10-24-2019, 10:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

And the daddy, the RaceGrade true 20 Hz sampling unit. Good explanations in the manual: http://racegrade.com/downloads/RG_MA...S%20Manual.pdf

Of course, Race Technology offers a 20 Hz GPS upgrade for their DL1, the older VBOX Sport is at 20 Hz and the automotive testing equipment Racelogic supplies the OEM’s (at a not inconsiderable price tag) is at 100 Hz.

More than anything, my experience is that comparable data overlaid from the same equipment is useful. Between different makes/models/specifications, not so much.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:06 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

My understanding of GPS is based on having worked with it directly - folks in my place of work pretty much invented it - no kidding. My understanding of Linux and it's limitations are also after many years of experience with it. Very little if any of what I said was an assumption.

I did say
It can be quite good, but depends on the implementation. Then there is the reporting and time-stamping - If you are using Linux as an OS (which I am pretty sure AIM does) then 1 ms latency is as good as it gets ( I am making some assumptions here).

Without actually testing this equipment in a lab, my opinion is that one should assume some degree of error in the Ms value. Remember that a good rule of thumb is that your measuring equipment (pretty much irrespective of the technology) should be 10x better than the values you are trying to measure...

I did look at the links you provided - thanks for those. A bit more detail: I was very specific when I was discussing GPS - this is the US version, and there are some number of others - The Brits, Russians, Chinese all have their version, replete with satellites, and very cool math!

The US system provides location 1x a sec - that is it, all you get. You can vastly improve on that with a variety of techniques, but they typically cost $$$, multiple antennas - one of the RT options for their commercial products, multiple constellations - what Motec does, sensor fusion - what everyone does... Books are written about this - got one on my desk - Understanding GPS principals and Applications: Kaplan & Hegarty if you are interested.

And I really apologize if I have taken this thread off topic, was just trying to inform...

Ray

Quick Reply: AIM Timing precision