Notices

Solo 2 DL randomly rebooting during sessions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 AM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Solo 2 DL randomly rebooting during sessions

I was at the track yesterday and noticed an odd behavior with my Solo 2 DL. The device would reboot itself randomly during my sessions. The attached photo shows where the device is mounted. I recently moved the mounting location from the left side windshield to a hard and more permanent mount shown in the image. This location is more in my line of sight.

Does anyone know if the mounting location shown in the attached image too low? Or any other ideas on why the device might be randomly rebooting. I've experienced this once before at Sonoma where the device was mounted on the left side windshield. So I don't think the problem is the location. The device was fully charged the day before my event and is also getting power from the car. It is also upgraded to the latest firmware.

When I experienced this previously (at Sonoma), I switched back to my old Solo DL and it had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 10-10-2019, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

The position of the unit is fine. Could be a battery issue, a loose connection to car information, if it's OBDII one of the pins in the car receptacle could be pushed out, but I'd send it in to AiM Sports in Lake Elsinore and have them check it out.

Position of the unit is very good.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-10-2019, 12:45 PM
bml376
Instructor

Thanks Peter! I'll reach out to AiM and double check my connections.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Are you getting data files? My guess is the recording parameters.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 PM
bml376
Instructor

Hi Matt,

When this happens, I do not get any data files on the solo 2 dl device. I do have video with the data overlaid on my SmartyCam, but the laptimes are incoherent; there is no time for the current lap or best lap, the current lap time just runs for the duration of session before solo 2 unit reboots itself.

I've tried calling the AiM office in Lake Elsinore, but no answer, I'll try again tomorrow.

Brian
Old 10-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Check the recording parameters then. I've had this where the device isn't recording, so it turns off and then is immediately woken because of the power/CAN connection.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Since the default start parameters are now above 500 RPM from the OBDII and above 6 mph in GPS speed, this should not be the issue, once on track.

I spoke to Bryc and Cameron from the East Coast AIM office today and they suggested sending it in.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Since the default start parameters are now above 500 RPM from the OBDII and above 6 mph in GPS speed, this should not be the issue, once on track.

I spoke to Bryc and Cameron from the East Coast AIM office today and they suggested sending it in.
Don't know who he got it from. It's certainly worth checking the parameters before sending it in, but to each there own.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Mordeth
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing. Was extremely annoying. I even sent it back to AIM and the unit checked out just fine.

Matt had me change the "Start Data Recording" parameter to a "Custom Condition" of "GPSSpeed Greater than 20mph" and DE-SELECT "Standard Conditions" under "Start Data Recording". Problem was solved immediately and forever. Does not randomly reboot itself any longer and works perfectly.

I would try that first before sending it in. If that doesn't work then there is some other issue or a loose connection somewhere.

Anthony
Old 10-11-2019, 09:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Anthony, that was back when the “Standard Conditions” listed “Speed (not GPS) above 6 mph” as the default.

There were so many support requests when the units wouldn’t log that a new firmware/software package was hurriedly released that changed default “Standard Conditions” to “Speed (including GPS)” as a trigger.

I don’t know how old the OP’s Solo 2 DL is, but the issue that caused your problem was attended to after Matt, me, MANY other dealers and AiM Sports US alerted the Italian company of this issue, the one that you had.

Certainly worth a check before sending it in.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^ Since we don't know who it came from or how old it is, certainly worth checking.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 AM
bml376
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did check the "start recording" settings last evening, and it was in fact set to use a custom parameter. The unit is ~10-11 months old. I set the recording parameter back to the default setting. I'll be back at Laguna Seca next weekend and will see if the setting makes any difference.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bml376
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did check the "start recording" settings last evening, and it was in fact set to use a custom parameter. The unit is ~10-11 months old. I set the recording parameter back to the default setting. I'll be back at Laguna Seca next weekend and will see if the setting makes any difference.
I don’t know about most people, but I always set it up Custom parameter using “Any” and RPM above 500, along with GPS Speed above 18 mph.

Depending on the firmware and configuration software versions, it’s the default setting that could be causing the problem, especially if the default speed says (not GPS).
The following users liked this post:
bml376 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:01 PM
bml376
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don’t know about most people, but I always set it up Custom parameter using “Any” and RPM above 500, along with GPS Speed above 18 mph.

Depending on the firmware and configuration software versions, it’s the default setting that could be causing the problem, especially if the default speed says (not GPS).
Just wanted to update this thread to confirm that this setting seemed to fix the issue I was experiencing with my Solo 2 DL randomly rebooting during track sessions. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bml376
Just wanted to update this thread to confirm that this setting seemed to fix the issue I was experiencing with my Solo 2 DL randomly rebooting during track sessions. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Awesome! I'm glad we got it before you sent it in and they didn't find anything. Enjoy the S2DL and post up when you have more data questions.