Aim CAN cable 7-pin vs 8-pin

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:44 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Aim CAN cable 7-pin vs 8-pin

Hi guys,

Can anyone provide me details on the differences between the 7-pin CAN cable connector that the original Solo DL uses, and the 8-pin cable that the Solo 2 DL uses? I had the original Solo DL hardwired into the CAN harness on my 987.1 car, and have just purchased a Solo 2 DL and I notice that its CAN cable receiver is 8-pin versus the original solo's 7-pin. The cable that came with the Solo 2 DL is 7-pin, just like the original Solo DL. I am hoping I don't have to remove the original cable that I've soldered in and redo the job with the 8-pin cable (which I don't even have).

I tried searching online & here in the Data Acq sub forum, but no luck.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

The 8th pin (center) on the new S2DL is the RPM input. The old cable will work fine with a S2DL, but obvoiusly you can't put the 8 pin wire in the 7 connector on an older Solo DL.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:33 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The 8th pin (center) on the new S2DL is the RPM input. The old cable will work fine with a S2DL, but obvoiusly you can't put the 8 pin wire in the 7 connector on an older Solo DL.
Will RPM still come through the CAN line using the old 7-pin connector, same as the original Solo DL? Or do I need to buy the 8-pin cable to get RPM now? Sorry, haven't tested this in the car yet.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Will RPM still come through the CAN line using the old 7-pin connector, same as the original Solo DL? Or do I need to buy the 8-pin cable to get RPM now? Sorry, haven't tested this in the car yet.
The RPM is for analog cars that don't have an ECU connection (think spec Miata). The CAN connection will work the same.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it
Old 10-01-2019, 01:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Hi guys,

Can anyone provide me details on the differences between the 7-pin CAN cable connector that the original Solo DL uses, and the 8-pin cable that the Solo 2 DL uses? I had the original Solo DL hardwired into the CAN harness on my 987.1 car, and have just purchased a Solo 2 DL and I notice that its CAN cable receiver is 8-pin versus the original solo's 7-pin. The cable that came with the Solo 2 DL is 7-pin, just like the original Solo DL. I am hoping I don't have to remove the original cable that I've soldered in and redo the job with the 8-pin cable (which I don't even have).

I tried searching online & here in the Data Acq sub forum, but no luck.

Cheers
As Matt says, no difference when RPM is coming over the CAN, as it does on the 987.1 car.

8-pin only for "vintage" cars!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Aim CAN cable 7-pin vs 8-pin