Notices

Using Sport Chrono for lap times

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 09:02 AM
drewt1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Using Sport Chrono for lap times

Hello all- I recently acquired a Cayman GT4 with Sport Chrono package and I’m trying to figure out how to set it up for lap timing. The only way I’ve been able to record individual laps is to hit the Start prompt at the start/finish line and then hit Round when I finish the lap. Reading he owners manual would seem to indicate that the gps would pick up the start finish line each time so it would record each lap but that doesn’t happen. Am I doing something wrong or does it not have the capability to do what I hoped? I also use the track precision app which works great but doesn’t give the real time feedback that the Sport Chrono does. Thanks
Old 08-15-2019, 10:12 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

You are doing it the right way e.g. Using the stalk to start stop and indicate when you have gone through the start finish line.

More recent vehicles get the the use of the track precision app which does trigger automatically via GPS when the start finish line has been crossed.

The data generated by SC is out put at 1Hz whereas the data collected by PTPA is 10Hz

I don't mind using the stalk to control SC and the display is simple, easy to read and easy to understand. However it is fair to say many find it a pain in the neck.

Also I tend to use it in different ways - for example if I'm in event I will start the SC and just collect data without bothering to record a round - I download the data at the end of the day and review oil pressure, braking pressure, lat g and lineal g etc

IF I want to review laps live Ifind the track precision app works well for me - I have manually entered the tracks of interest to me and the sectors that are important to me - the data can easily be reviewed quickly in pit lane. Also this can be reviewed off line in circuit tools from race logic along with video overlays if you have recorded them.

if I just want to record times to 1/1000 S I activate my Dorian (after market)

Quick Reply: Using Sport Chrono for lap times