Help with MXL2 issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 02:44 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Help with MXL2 issues.

We are having a number of issues with our data system. If someone can help me post a video its easy to see. I have a .mov file, but I think it's too big to post. Any suggestions how to get it to a size that can be added here?

Looking at the data in RS3
-Lap times are not properly recording. Typically just shows one long session. When I lap, sometimes it shows lap times, others it shows something like 24-06. In lap manager there are only a few individual laps or one big lap.

Looking at video from the smarty cam
-The tach reading is bouncing all over the place.
-The TPS is also bouncing.
-When I cross for a new lap it throws crazy lap times, like 23 minutes.

Most of this is easy to see in the video. I can also do a screen capture of the data in RS3. (might be RS2)

Thanks for the help.

Don
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Can you look at a GPS map? It sounds like you don't have the track loaded. Try GPS lap insert.

How is the tach connected? What car?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:34 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It might be helpful to know what all is in your setup. Camera, GPS antenna, hub,...?

i had all sorts of problems with GPS reception. Sometimes the MXL2 couldn’t find the track. Other times it would find it and then “lose it” mid session. Bought a new GPS08 thinking that was the problem but it wasn’t. Finally AIM narrowed it down to a bad hub. Your issues sound a little different, but my point is that depending upon how complex your system is it could be something you don’t expect.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the lack of info;
1987 911
MXL2 with GPS Module
Front and rear SmartyHD GP
22 pin second harness to connect sensors

Sensors;
TPS
Brake pressure with Tee
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Fuel Pressure sender
Fuel level sender
Exhaust gas temp thermocoupler
Air fuel ratio sender LCU-ONE
Data Hub
Fuel gauge

Everything worked well at the Clash at WGI this year, except we started to see the RPM's on the dash get wonky.
I believe I can get a GPS track map but frankly I'm not sure how to do that.
I don't know how the tach is connected.

While digging I found one guy that said something about a wire being to close to the battery cable was causing a similar issue.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Sorry for the lack of info;
1987 911
MXL2 with GPS Module
Front and rear SmartyHD GP
22 pin second harness to connect sensors

Sensors;
TPS
Brake pressure with Tee
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Fuel Pressure sender
Fuel level sender
Exhaust gas temp thermocoupler
Air fuel ratio sender LCU-ONE
Data Hub
Fuel gauge

Everything worked well at the Clash at WGI this year, except we started to see the RPM's on the dash get wonky.
I believe I can get a GPS track map but frankly I'm not sure how to do that.
I don't know how the tach is connected.

While digging I found one guy that said something about a wire being to close to the battery cable was causing a similar issue.
Thats a pretty comprehensive system, much more so than what I have, and I’m more data than hardware oriented. I’d guess that there is electrical noise getting into the system and causing most if not all of the symptoms. Not sure how to find it other than systematically unplugging things until it goes away. Also possible that the RPM signal issues are separate from the GPS ones. I’d suggest you contact AIM directly.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

To check the GPS, click the GPS button marked A then you should have a map like B. If it's grayed out, then you're not getting GPS. Did you change firmware or anything from when it worked until it didn't? First step is to make sure everything is up to date. That will also check the connections between devices and you can see if everything is working.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I have now seen issues with a data hub and the gps antenna....basically get rid of the hub and the gps issue went away, put a new hub in and has been ok. Just something to check. Similar issue but not the same

Are you running a powered hub for the second smartycam GP?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
I have now seen issues with a data hub and the gps antenna....basically get rid of the hub and the gps issue went away, put a new hub in and has been ok. Just something to check. Similar issue but not the same

Are you running a powered hub for the second smartycam GP?
Evan, more than one occurrence?

Good advice about the supplementary power for a second GP in the AiM network, either with a MC5 diode equipped power cable added to the hub or a powered hub.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going to try them on all Saturday. I don't believe we added supplemental power we added the second camera but I will check. It is strange that it was working well for some time and then slowly began to have issues. I'll report back what I find. Thanks again. Don
Old 07-27-2019, 05:47 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Troubleshooting.
1. I do get GPS signal. It does show recent map.
2. MXL Firmware is 01.28.03. There is a more recent version but I was having trouble updating. I think this version is from 02.2019 (See picture below)
3. I looked closely at one of my video sessions. 7 laps into the race the tachometer and TPS start to act up. Prior 7 laps all fine. Started between T7 and T8 at the Glen. It does not seem to be related to anything on-track. It's not a vibration issues. It does not start after touching a curb or the turtles.

3. The condition lasted all the way into the paddock. *** After I turned off the car, power to dash still on, I can still see the RPM on the video flickering. It's correctly reading zero RMP's but clearly the same condition is still affecting it.

Picture below of firmware.
Picture below of how "best lap time" and test dates are being displayed. Note... The session that shows starting at 1:04:41 is actually one session that ends at 01:47:06. For some reason it is being broken into 3 tests.

Quick Reply: Help with MXL2 issues.