Notices

Data Nerd F1 Turbo lag question...

Old 07-19-2019, 12:06 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Data Nerd F1 Turbo lag question...

so If I get too quick on the throttle in my 996 cup I spin (at least based on my experience... and yes I still need to be quicker on the throttle)

in F1 drivers are really good and fast on throttle application and probably go to 100% super fast.

so what is happening when Max complains about turbo lag and they explain he is going too fast to throttle for the computer to keep up and they need to adjust mapping to keep up?
I thought there was no traction control.... is this a way of traction control?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

I would guess that since it's drive by wire for the throttle, they are changing the delay and "link" of his pedal movements and the actual air inlet change (butterfly, slide valve, etc) and fuel curves.

An easy way to think of this is when you get in a Korean car, the gas pedal is very sensitive - say maybe 5% throttle at the pedal is 20% of the engines power (an XY graph of pedal position to power is not linear). This makes the car feel powerful, but it's not actually changing the total power output of the engine. For a race car, that is opposite what you actually want. In cars with drive by wire, if you look at PPS and TPS, there is often a lag where TPS does not exactly follow PPS.

I'm guessing Max had some quick inputs that were being dampened or not fully transmitted to the power unit. That made him feel he was not getting the output he wanted for his input.
The following users liked this post:
MarcD147 (07-19-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Data Nerd F1 Turbo lag question...