Notices

SOLO 2 DL Wired into....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:43 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default SOLO 2 DL Wired into....

....my 2004 GT3 CAN bus system, by my Van Nuys AiM/Motec, etc. Guru, and NO, I won't tell you who he is; I want his services all to m myself....in addition to all sorts of data saved in the SOLO 2 DL for future review on Race Studio #. Another plus, once wired into the CAN bus system, 12V power is provided for charging the AiM SOLO 2 DL internal battery when the ignition is on. I also have a "loaner" SmartyCam,
As you can see on the video display:
  • Speed
  • RPM
  • Accelerator pressure but NO brake pressure, need to take another approach to get this done, Coach Krause has solved this for me (See below).
  • Gear selection
  • Cabin audio....no swearing from me.
Click the URL for some fun:

The fun part of the drive as seen in the video, was driving with every marque you can think of: TESLA, BMW, Mustang...a Porsche or two.

Oh well, back to Laguna Seca in a few weeks with PCA GGR for DE, and in August with POC for a 2 day Time Trial.

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-04-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default OMG

Did a track day st Laguna Seca with Speed Ventures, great group with good drivers, saw no off track excursions or incidents of any sort.

First time out with my AiM SOLO 2 wired into the 2004 GT3 CAN bus system. As usual the Predictive Timing feature on the AiM was very helpful.

The over the top top fun thing was watching the video produced by the “borrowed” SmartyCam. I spent an hour with David Ferguson, my local AiM dealer (now that I am back in Paso Robles), looking at the video and the data from the SOLO 2 DL. He is a nationally ranked SCCA Prototype driver, which gives him huge credibility IMHO.

In the past I have been reviewing my data, it was always informative in a one dimensional sort of way. But with the above AiM system hard wired in place,
the the impact is so much greater when accompanied by video. Throttle position, breaking effort and long/lat G forces.....what can I say that hasn’t been said. This is a totally affordable system, less than $2,000. Our AiM dealers on the Forum will hook you up. My only regret, I didn’t do this earlier in my driving career, the SmartyCam that is.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Yes, braking effort in the 2004 996 GT3. A little too early to get brake pressure from the car itself.

Video is SO important. It influences driver performance in ways unseen looking only at the data. Car position, heading, traffic, the influence of the curbs, track edges and, of course, the ability to see head and hand movements at the appropriate time, place, speed and amplitude.

You are fortunate to have Dave and Ellen as a local resource.

The complete setup for your car, with the latest hardware releases, cables and mounts, is $1778 from me.

Since the Solo DL (now the Solo 2 DL) and SmartyCam combination became available seven or eight years ago, I’ve sold more than four hundred pair, mostly for Porsche cars.

Glad to hear you’re back on track!
Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Sage like advice ...

From Peter, and don’t forget to see if Speed Secrets has a Virtual Track Walk for your local track, mine is Laguna Seca.....a virtual Track Walk is available , and I bought it and have watched it many times, and will again many times more,

Prep with the Track Walk and post track, review data and video...that’s my new MO.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

It is a powerful combo. I'm glad I was able.tonhelp you our getting this going and your in great hands with David. Keep reporting back!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Brake Pressure.

Peter writes, "Yes, braking effort in the 2004 996 GT3. A little too early to get brake pressure from the car itself." As I was looking at one of the videos, I noticed the brake indicator was not functioning. Is this feature available from SOLO 2 DL hooked into the the CAN bus system? I am thinking it's not and I am going to need a brake pressure sensor. Am I on the right track?
Old 07-03-2019, 07:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Peter writes, "Yes, braking effort in the 2004 996 GT3. A little too early to get brake pressure from the car itself." As I was looking at one of the videos, I noticed the brake indicator was not functioning. Is this feature available from SOLO 2 DL hooked into the the CAN bus system? I am thinking it's not and I am going to need a brake pressure sensor. Am I on the right track?
Yes, your car is a little too early for brake pressure to the S2DL. It is not possible to add an analog brake pressure sensor to your Solo 2 DL, your dealer should have told you that! Or at least set it up correctly for your car!

But, in your car, it is possible to add brake on/off, which is the brake light switch signal, over the CAN to the Solo 2 DL.

To make this work on your car and the SmartyCam, you need to put into the SmartyCam stream (in the S2DL configuration) “brake switch” from the car in the Brake Position Field in the SmartyCam stream. If it does not show up, check the lower left box in the stream field to “Enable all channels.” Then, save and transmit the changes to your Solo 2DL. It will now send the brake on/off information from the car to the SmartyCam.

To show it on the SmartyCam, open the SmartyCam configuration and select the red bar. Instead of brake pressure in the channel field (which it doesn’t get from the car, hence isn’t working), Select Brake Position. Save, then transmit the changes to the SmartyCam.

Done!
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

The info below is priceless...thanks Coach! I bought the AiM SOLO2 DL, but intended to have it set up locally.....need to have a local resource in case there is a technical problem/question.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, your car is a little too early for brake pressure to the S2DL. It is not possible to add an analog brake pressure sensor to your Solo 2 DL, your dealer should have told you that! Or at least set it up correctly for your car!

But, in your car, it is possible to add brake on/off, which is the brake light switch signal, over the CAN to the Solo 2 DL.

To make this work on your car and the SmartyCam, you need to put into the SmartyCam stream (in the S2DL configuration) “brake switch” from the car in the Brake Position Field in the SmartyCam stream. If it does not show up, check the lower left box in the stream field to “Enable all channels.” Then, save and transmit the changes to your Solo 2DL. It will now send the brake on/off information from the car to the SmartyCam.

To show it on the SmartyCam, open the SmartyCam configuration and select the red bar. Instead of brake pressure in the channel field (which it doesn’t get from the car, hence isn’t working), Select Brake Position. Save, then transmit the changes to the SmartyCam.

Done!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-04-2019)
Old 04-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Martin!!!!!!!!!

Hey, long time no see, brother. I just sent you an email, so I hope you got it. Talk to you soon.

Rich
Old 04-24-2020, 06:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Got the email...

Replied already....
Old 05-16-2020, 07:16 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

If I buy a solo 2 dl / smartycam combo, does the cable from the solo 2 dl charge the smartycam? Or does the smartycam need separate power? I've been looking through the setup manual and it has lots of room for improvement.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gobble
If I buy a solo 2 dl / smartycam combo, does the cable from the solo 2 dl charge the smartycam? Or does the smartycam need separate power? I've been looking through the setup manual and it has lots of room for improvement.
Yes, if the Solo 2 is powered. Glad to help, I have a RL special on this combo.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gobble
Yes, the S2DL powers the camera, provided the S2DL has power. The S2DL can get power from the OBDII connection or the CAN/12v/ground connection.

Like Peter, I have Rennlist discounts and units in stock. I get fantastic FesEx rated and ship everyday.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Yes, the S2DL powers the camera, provided the S2DL has power. The S2DL can get power from the OBDII connection or the CAN/12v/ground connection.

Like Peter, I have Rennlist discounts and units in stock. I get fantastic FesEx rated and ship everyday.
I don’t charge for ground freight, plus configuration and setup support

I prefer power fed by switched ignition power,
but that’s my experience.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-16-2020, 10:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don’t charge for ground freight, plus configuration and setup support

I prefer power fed by switched ignition power,
but that’s my experience.
I agree on switched power.

I think my track record on support to my customers and all AiM users is pretty solid. It's in my signature along with my my constant offer for folks to ring my cell when they have a problem. For those that haven't seen it, it's 603-674-3250. I'm Eastern Standard Time. I already helped 2 people this evening.

Quick Reply: SOLO 2 DL Wired into....