Help Me decide Upgrade to SoloDL2 or Apex Pro

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 10:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've been wondering about the video portion of things, right now I use an older Sony AS-200V but would like to be able to overlay OBD/speed/brake, etc info on videos.
I have the APEX OBD and another OBD Link MX I've used for code stuff on other cars.
Any video reccomendations are appreciated, easier the better, I haven't convinced my 11 yr old to do it yet
Inexpensive options include Garmin VirB, Waylens (I have a demo for sale), Harry’s. Usually takes a bit of fiddling (Harry’s) and not very accurate or reliable, but cheap. Perhaps the best value is the 10 Hz GPS Road-Keeper.

Moderately priced options include Video VBOX Lite and the combination of AIM Sports Solo 2 DL and SmartyCam HD. Both dead nuts simple, almost completely reliable and completely automated. Nothing to charge, no buttons to push.

Best option, with little or no learning curve to help you coach yourself to go faster, albeit not inexpensive, is the Video VBOX HD2.

I carry all of them and support my customers and the community, so I can explain pros and cons for your specific application better than others, but track time is precious. Video is a very important tool and explains a lot of what you see in the lights of the Apex Pro and squiggly lines.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've been wondering about the video portion of things, right now I use an older Sony AS-200V but would like to be able to overlay OBD/speed/brake, etc info on videos.
I have the APEX OBD and another OBD Link MX I've used for code stuff on other cars.
Any video reccomendations are appreciated, easier the better, I haven't convinced my 11 yr old to do it yet
For video, the AiM Solo 2 DL and SCHD is a great solution. Terrific value for the money and when RS3 is released, the video integration is fantastic. With great dealer support 😉, AiM support, and widespread use in tracks everywhere, it's a great solution.

I have everything in stock and can help with Rennlist offers. Easy shopping at www.TrailBrake.com If you have questions, feel free to DM, email matt@trailbrake.net, or call me at 603-674-3250.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:16 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Inexpensive options include Garmin VirB, Waylens (I have a demo for sale), Harry’s. Usually takes a bit of fiddling (Harry’s) and not very accurate or reliable, but cheap. Perhaps the best value is the 10 Hz GPS Road-Keeper.

Moderately priced options include Video VBOX Lite and the combination of AIM Sports Solo 2 DL and SmartyCam HD. Both dead nuts simple, almost completely reliable and completely automated. Nothing to charge, no buttons to push.

Best option, with little or no learning curve to help you coach yourself to go faster, albeit not inexpensive, is the Video VBOX HD2.

I carry all of them and support my customers and the community, so I can explain pros and cons for your specific application better than others, but track time is precious. Video is a very important tool and explains a lot of what you see in the lights of the Apex Pro and squiggly lines.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
For video, the AiM Solo 2 DL and SCHD is a great solution. Terrific value for the money and when RS3 is released, the video integration is fantastic. With great dealer support 😉, AiM support, and widespread use in tracks everywhere, it's a great solution.

I have everything in stock and can help with Rennlist offers. Easy shopping at www.TrailBrake.com If you have questions, feel free to DM, email matt@trailbrake.net, or call me at 603-674-3250.
You guys are awesome with quick and helpful feedback, thanks a bunch! Sorry for the delayed response,
I appreciate the direction and was thinking about this again last night while I put together a the quick upload below for a couple friends.
Let me know if there's ever a fire sale on the VBOX HD2, those look like the ticket and I looked at them earlier this year, but $$$

The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:39 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow, didn't even look at your driving, I was so distracted by all the easy to hit objects, including trees, berms, and BUILDINGS. Sketchy looking.

Back to business, can't go wrong with with Peter or Matt. Both solid guys with awesome product support.
The following 2 users liked this post by linzman:
Martin S. (10-28-2020), ProCoach (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 05:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

If the S2DL is in the equation at all, I have a very, very lightly used one for $550 without the suction mount.

Quick Reply: Help Me decide Upgrade to SoloDL2 or Apex Pro