Notices

Help Me decide Upgrade to SoloDL2 or Apex Pro

Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not possible all the time, but from brake application through past the apex, yes.
Thanks, that's what it sounded like.

Intrigued...
Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried Apex Pro a year ago when it first came out, after tried it out, I returned it. But that was a year ago, and their app isn't as good and informative as now I think. I wouldn't mind to give it another try.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 AM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LandShark - lots of improvements and features additions since then. We make updates based on customer feedback and use about every 3 months and we usually release a new app to address maintenance and user interface items every 6 weeks or so.

I would recommend reaching out to Pro Coach/.Peter Krause and get setup to try one again. This video shows a couple of new features as of March, 2019. There's a lot more as well...

Old 06-15-2019, 10:02 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

My nephew still has his even though he haven't use it. I'll borrow it and give it another try. Does it need to do any kind of updates (firmware)?

I do like your real time app base information and that's one of the reason that I wish my Solo2DL has.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Just do

Originally Posted by GT3_Driver
I need the Pros and Cons of the Apex Pro and differences between solo1 and 2.

I'm signed up for a demo day for the Apex Pro next weekend.

I have a SoloDL w/ OBDii and smarty cam now.

It's about the same money either way

I love data!!!!

How much "Data" does the Apex give you?
I see it's helpful on track, but are the lights after the fact(Behind you?)

Is the SoloDL2 worth a upgrade?
SOLO 2 DL can be hardwired for power an CAN bus data. I have one, love it. It also supports SmartyCam.

APEX PRo looks awesome, trying one out end of the month at Laguna Seca.. do the research and tons of data is available on your I phone post run session.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Picked up an Apex Pro yesterday because I am leaving lots of time on the table at The Glen in particular (2 - 3 seconds compared to my contemporaries). Too much slowing down, I think.

Ideal would be to get some data from these contemporaries to compare to mine, but short of that, I figure that the Apex can help. Sounds pretty good on paper.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Francois! You didn’t call me to order it?

Every good driver goes through a phase (some stay there for their whole lives) where they hang on the brake to long, push too hard for too long and “undershoot” reaching the tires capability between maximum braking and maximum cornering.

This also happens to be one of the biggest differences between good and great drivers to and makes a SUBSTANTIAL difference to lap times. A simple raising of the average speed through the vMin area and making the vMin point closer to the apex is really, really profitable in lap times. Multiply by several corners and it makes a bigger difference.

This device is a much more sophisticated, real-time indicator of this occurrence, and for that reason, I recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (07-14-2020)
Old 06-15-2019, 04:29 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Francois! You didn’t call me to order it?

Every good driver goes through a phase (some stay there for their whole lives) where they hang on the brake to long, push too hard for too long and “undershoot” reaching the tires capability between maximum braking and maximum cornering.

This also happens to be one of the biggest differences between good and great drivers to and makes a SUBSTANTIAL difference to lap times. A simple raising of the average speed through the vMin area and making the vMin point closer to the apex is really, really profitable in lap times. Multiply by several corners and it makes a bigger difference.

This device is a much more sophisticated, real-time indicator of this occurrence, and for that reason, I recommend it.
Haha, we actually have a local "official" Apex dealer around here for once.

I find that I can keep up, if not more, with pretty much anyone in corners where I can hustle the car (Mosport 5A, B; Keyhole @ Mid-O; T7 @ the Glen, etc). It's corners where you need to be more surgical (T1, T10 @ the Glen; T8 @ Mosport) where I tend to overslow; maybe I'm just scared, lol. The great drivers you speak of are probably also confident that they will "catch" it should anything happen (that's how I feel in the slower corners; what could go wrong). Hopefully this thing can tell me more about what I'm leaving on the table.

Glad to know that you endorse this, it means a lot.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:07 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Haha, we actually have a local "official" Apex dealer around here for once.

I find that I can keep up, if not more, with pretty much anyone in corners where I can hustle the car (Mosport 5A, B; Keyhole @ Mid-O; T7 @ the Glen, etc). It's corners where you need to be more surgical (T1, T10 @ the Glen; T8 @ Mosport) where I tend to overslow; maybe I'm just scared, lol. The great drivers you speak of are probably also confident that they will "catch" it should anything happen (that's how I feel in the slower corners; what could go wrong). Hopefully this thing can tell me more about what I'm leaving on the table.

Glad to know that you endorse this, it means a lot.
Also I've came to conclusion that on top of being able to "catch" it, it makes a different in your mind (risk taking) pushing in your own car (paying for the damage) versus someone else's (racer driving for team and has insurance) and will reflect in the lap time too.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LandShark
Also I've came to conclusion that on top of being able to "catch" it, it makes a different in your mind (risk taking) pushing in your own car (paying for the damage) versus someone else's (racer driving for team and has insurance) and will reflect in the lap time too.
OMG!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default APEX Pro/SOLO 2 DL

My LA "Magic Man" hooked up my SOLO 2 DL to the 2004 GT3 CAN bus system....he also let me try out a SmartyCam....and set it up/configured it for me, made certain the SOLO 2 DL and SmartCam were talking: They were.

My Paso Robles "Magic Man" let me borrow an APEX PRO for this Sunday's Speed Ventures session at Laguna Seca. We (mostly He) set it up right out of the box, scary simple. It's all mounted up and ready to go. He has a mini-track around his building, so we "created" a track for APEX Pro, and did some laps....awesome.

I'll report back next week...going to look at the data with my coach.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:00 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Please don't forget.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:56 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
My LA "Magic Man" hooked up my SOLO 2 DL to the 2004 GT3 CAN bus system....he also let me try out a SmartyCam....and set it up/configured it for me, made certain the SOLO 2 DL and SmartCam were talking: They were.

My Paso Robles "Magic Man" let me borrow an APEX PRO for this Sunday's Speed Ventures session at Laguna Seca. We (mostly He) set it up right out of the box, scary simple. It's all mounted up and ready to go. He has a mini-track around his building, so we "created" a track for APEX Pro, and did some laps....awesome.

Hey there - did you ever get a chance to compare?

I'm looking at adding the Apex, or possibly some other system, to my car this spring.
Looks to me that for ~$580 (device and OBD piece) and my iPhone 11, I can help get my butt dyno some info about what I'm leaving on the table in braking and cornering?

Any feedback or advice for recording video (use my iphone I assume?) and other nuances to help are appreciated.

I ordered one w/OBD connector just now and will be on the track Saturday, hopefully they get it to me in time!

Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You’ll like the Apex Pro. Real time feedback and enhancements to the App, especially the paid add-on which is very reasonable, are fantastic!

Plus the learning curve is way shorter than the Solo 2/Solo 2 DL

And I’ve sold both since the beginning of both...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Hey there - did you ever get a chance to compare? First thing, when I got the SOLO 2 DL, I didn't know about APEX Pro. Once I had the APEX Pro up and running, it took about a minute, I never even looked at the data from the SOLO 2 DL again. I didn't want to have to take a PC to the track, and that is how you get the data off the AiM systems. They have been pro\mising an iPhone App, buy so far it is still on the drawing board.

I'm looking at adding the Apex, or possibly some other system, to my car this spring. It has been my experience, that APEX Pro is THE system in its price range, providing the best bang for the Buck!!! I looked at all the other popular iPhone apps, but for ease of operability, and easy to learn, APEX Pro rules.
Looks to me that for ~$580 (device and OBD piece) and my iPhone 11, I can help get my butt dyno some info about what I'm leaving on the table in braking and cornering? This is a certainty. I did write an article for Speed Secrets (Enclosed) It was published in October of 2019.

You write above,
"what I'm leaving on the table in braking and cornering." Here is where APEX Pro shines, the dash-mounted APEX Pro is transmitting data to your iPhone via Bluetooth....but at the same time, the LED display is telling you how much of the potential grip of the tires are being used. It takes about 2 laps for the APEX Pro to "learn" your's car's performance. The LEDs

Any feedback or advice for recording video (use my iPhone I assume?) and other nuances to help are appreciated. If I were you, I'd get in touch with Peter Krause (alfadoc@gmail.com): Pose this question to him. He is an AiM and V BOX dealer, and a world-class coach. Note, Speed Secrets has a Virtual Track Walk (VTW) Series. Check it out and see if any of the tracks you run are listed. If so, buy the program, about $50. I got the VTW for Laguna Seca...noting I have been driving this track for many years. The mysteries of the track were unmasked for me. INSIGHTFUL/POWERFUL are the two (2) words I use to describe the 1:20 program. It's Peter Krause and Ross Bentley analyzing the track, corner by corner. Cost is about $50....

I ordered one w/OBD connector just now and will be on the track Saturday, hopefully, they get it to me in time!
I would take one step at a time. You don't want to be overwhelmed with data.....just learn how to view and manipulate the APEX Pro post-session data sent to your phone. When you are comfortable with that, plug in the OBD II, more data. And in addition, there is a subscription option that provides even more data.

Finally, if and when you buy any data related products, get them from Peter Krause. Peter offers a unique concept, post-sale support if needed. Peter knows my above referenced article, in fact, he helped me with editing. So you can rest assured that any BS was rooted out, as Peter has a great BS detector and he is not afraid to use it.

In closing, you will love APEX Pro, it is an incredible value for the money.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
APEX Pro LED Lights.docx (14.9 KB, 47 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Me decide Upgrade to SoloDL2 or Apex Pro