Notices

AIM SMARTYCAM GP HD REV. 2.2 or racelogic video vbox lite?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AIM SMARTYCAM GP HD REV. 2.2 or racelogic video vbox lite?

Hello guys,

I search a video system Like AIM or Racelogic.

For you what's the best choice or if you have an alternative?

Thanks for advice.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

As one of the top three dealers in North America for BOTH systems, I recommend THIS thread, FIRST: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...d2-review.html

Also: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...-thoughts.html

Also: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...m-or-vbox.html

Both systems work well (especially for modern cars, post 2012), but there are stark differences in ease of use, analysis speed, as well as self-coaching with the collected information

THIS is why I've sold both for almost a decade. I encourage a dialog with someone who knows both to determine what system is the best for you.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-04-2019, 11:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll just add that both these systems are one of the few available that render or write the digital information to the background of the video, real-time.

That means that instead of watching raw video (no measures on the screen) or combining video with data in the software after the fact, it's done and dusted when you roll back into the paddock.

Pull the SD card from either system and you can be playing completed, informative video in WMP or VLC player (for example) thirty seconds after you pull the card from the camera or Lite/HD2 box.

The SmartyCam HD v2.1 (all in one) and SmartyCam HD GP v2.2 (bullet camera version with separate recorder box, also with internal "bridge" or translator of information from the car to the video) do generally require connections to EXTERNAL modules (bridges and/or GPS antennas, not included generally) or data loggers. The video is downloadable separate from the data (if there is a logger). Watch the video, ThEN download and look at squiggly lines, scatter plots, colored maps or channel/segment reports.

Not a way to look at both together, the squiggly lines AND the video, all within the same window, with the AiM. A workaround might be to export AiM data into TrackAttack, import the matching smartycam video and then, you can. But that's a PITA. For car measures and health, alarms, configurable data display in the analysis program, IR tire temps, linear (shock pot) sensors, AiM is king (well, MoTeC is king, but AiM is the best value), but most folks looking for a camera or using a simple logger like the Solo 2 DL connected to the camera are not going for that deep a dive. This is supposed to be fun, not work! <grin>

The Video VBOX Lite and HD2 are "one-box" solutions, all integrated as a hardware and more importantly, a software solution. Video and data all on one card, single download and automatically synced with one mouse click. Side-by side video comparisons WITH data, which most people I work with as a professional coach prefer as the quickest way to assimilate information and formulate a simple one or two item plan for action. Native Apple OS app, great Windows app, really easy to use and the learning curve is shorter than almost any other system, IMO.

Both work well, both offer lots of information, but the pros and cons of each between both are substantial. I've sold more than a million dollars of each, and believe in both, but choose something that you'll use.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Thank you Peter very clear and precise. Thanks
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I use both systems in both of my race cars with good success. If you are primarily looking at video, VBOX is the better, fully integrated solution. If you are looking predominantly at data, then go with AIM.

Full disclaimer: I had some serious issues putting highly specialized Scene files together for my VBOX system but I have finally mastered that now. If you are simply taking data off the CAN, you will have no such issues. AIM support and experience is much broader than for VBOX, but if you are running data off a production car CAN, either system should be plug an play.

If you have any further questions, please send me a PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I would say that any time you’re making custom sensors off analog inputs, VBOX is going to take more time and much more tweaking.

I don’t consider those “issues,” just that there is no “wizard” to help set it up as there is in AIM. This is only an issue with analog sensors connected to the Micro or Mini input modules of the VBOX for pre-2006 or earlier cars.

As Frank says, no issues with CAN, both are good.

I can get 42 channels for a GenV Viper from the OBDII in VBOX, only ECT, TPS and RPM in AiM. So there are strengths and weaknesses in each makes CAN support. That’s why I sell both!

AiM has recently added Brake Pressure to the CAN profile for 987.1 cars over CAN, so things improve all the time.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Metzeger
Pro

I have a question can i connect an OBD racelogic module on a 993 RS from 1995? For connect to video box HD2. Thanks
Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’m sorry. No information available from that early a car, but I have many customers that use the VBOX standalone.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:08 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metzeger
I have a question can i connect an OBD racelogic module on a 993 RS from 1995? For connect to video box HD2. Thanks
As Peter says - NO. However, I have been very successful in running the VBOX on my 1969 911. We use the Micro Input module to get RPM, brake pressure through a brake pressure sensor and throttle position through a string potentiometer.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That’s a good option. Takes a little while to set up. A wizard is coming soon.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Are you doing just video or a logger too? If you are adding a logger like an AiM MXL2, MXS, MXG, or MXP, it's easy enough to use the one of the CAN links to transmit a custom message if you chose a Vbox over a SmartyCam HD. I've done lots of those sorts of profiles for people.

I sell and use the AiM setups as I value the data they provide and the power of the software. It's important does the ultimate user to evaluate he systems, what they want, dealer support, and manufacturer support. If you need any CAN help, let me know.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Are you doing just video or a logger too? If you are adding a logger like an AiM MXL2, MXS, MXG, or MXP, it's easy enough to use the one of the CAN links to transmit a custom message if you chose a Vbox over a SmartyCam HD. I've done lots of those sorts of profiles for people.

I sell and use the AiM setups as I value the data they provide and the power of the software. It's important does the ultimate user to evaluate he systems, what they want, dealer support, and manufacturer support. If you need any CAN help, let me know.
Thanks Matt, I have no buy system for moment...I see the AIM SmartyCam perhaps a better solution for old car? what system is the best compromise for a 993 RS? Thanks for help
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Thanks Matt, I have no buy system for moment...I see the AIM SmartyCam perhaps a better solution for old car? what system is the best compromise for a 993 RS? Thanks for help
If you don't want to add a full system, I would go with a Solo 2 DL and a SCHD. That is a solid system, all automatic, great data and video, and the most popular system out there.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is an example for an older car. For the VBOX I have RPM, throttle and brake sensors. The Smartycam is standalone, however I use an AIM Solo on the steering wheel for predictive lap times.

Smartycam:

VBox

Old 05-14-2019, 09:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Laurent, for the best possible service more local to you for setup and service issues, for AiM I recommend:

AiM-SHOP-RACING

35 rue Maurice Berteaux
95360 Montmagny
FranceTel.: +33 (0) 9.73.56.82.24
Fax: +33 (0) 9.78.56.82.24
Mob: +33 (0) 6.61.54.19.07

joseph.herve@shop-racing.com

www.aim-shop-racing.fr

For Racelogic VBOX, I recommend MEC-Auto in Belgium as a dealer and also the home office:

Racelogic Ltd.
Unit 10-11 Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks MK18 1TB
Tel: +44 1280 823803, Fax: +44 1280 823595

Email:
Web: www.racelogic.co.uk

As one of the two or three largest authorized US dealers for AiM, I have signed an agreement with the North American importer/distributor that I will not sell outside of the North American distribution market, and don’t wish to jeopardize my excellent relationship with them!

You have good local resources.

Stephan and Mike Kupka at MEC Auto in Belgium have installed many Racelogic VBOX units on historic cars that integrate throttle, brake and other sensors. They are your best local Racelogic resource.

Quick Reply: AIM SMARTYCAM GP HD REV. 2.2 or racelogic video vbox lite?