Notices

SOLO 2 Race Studio3/Virtual Track Walk

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default SOLO 2 Race Studio3/Virtual Track Walk Laguna Seca

SOLO 2 Race Studio3/Virtual Track WalkI had written in an earlier post, another thread, "Now I have a rugged RAM mount for the I Phone X and Harry's Lap Timer...may also get a AiM SOLO DL"

I never got the Harry's I-phone software going, but instead, opted for an AiM SOLO 2 Data Logger and the proper RAM suction cup mount (From Matt Romanowski @ trail brake.net). I got the AiM SOLO 2 Data Logger from ??? on line using Amex Points, this way it seemed practically free to wifey. plus no tax and no shipping charge. My next major purchase, perhaps a SmartyCam, will come from Matt. He is committed to supporting the the data logging subset of the Racing and Drivers Education Forum, as does Peter Schultz, and in his own special way through various educational programs, from Speed Secrets fame, Ross Bentley.

Decided for the new SOLO 2, over the SOLO DL. The former was $300 cheaper than the latter, but more importantly, I wasn't interested, for the time being, in using the OBD port and sensors to gather data I probably would be looking at for the present......I can always sell the SOLO 2 and upgrade if the need arises. And I got wifey's blessing to spend $400 is AMEX points, $700 seemed to be a sensitive price point for her.

SOLO 2 and Race Studio 3: The SOLO 2 has one feature that I really love, Predictive Lap Timing. Once you have logged your first lap pf the session/race, the unit will assume that lap is the quickest until the completion of the following lap. If that lap is quicker, the green array lights up, and gives you your session's top time, should you be slower, the array goes red. This process continues until the end of the session/race. This predictive lapping display process resumes fresh for your next session. At the conclusion of your session/race, the AiM SOLO 2 will display your 3 quickest laps. These are the obvious benefits of the AiM SOLO 2 functioning as an expensive lap timer, but could it be better? What if you could get comprehensive, meaningful data, in addition to mere timing, allowing you to analyze, and improve your driving? That is the bonus feature of the the AIM SOLO 2 software, Race Studio 3, noting that this is the same software used in the AiM systems costing 5X+ more. Learn and use Race Studio 3 and now you are running with the Big Dogs. But you have to take a deep dive into the software...a superficial gloss over wont suffice.

Assuming you really want to analyze your driving, as close to real time as possible for maximum learning retention, preferably at the conclusion of all of your sessions throughout the weekend, at the end of the session/race, you will download the AiM SOLO 2 data (Wireless) to your PC, or a Mac configured with Boot Camp software assuming there is a partitioned hard drive running MS DOS, and further assuming you have loaded Race Studio 3 software, which will only run on a MS DOS system. Voila, analyze your data and make the appropriate changes for the next session. You will be a better driver, how could you not be?

For me personally, learning Race Studio 3 has been intimidating. Having had a prior AiM MXL-2 system, I didn't take the time to learn the software, for numerous reasons, one being that I was too lazy, and secondly, I am not a quick learner when it comes to MS-DOS software, being a Mac person for 20+ years. But for this go around, no excuses, I am determined to learn it to reap the benefits of data logging, such as having the capability to analyze my performance, one corner at a time, post session, in close to real time as it can get.

If you think the AiM Owners Manual will help you? Pretty much only general information is to be found there. You either need to be a software Wiz with a rapid learning curve (Not me.). You can try other approaches to learning such as hiring a coach familiar with AiM Race Studio 3, generally a time consuming (travel to the coach) and potentially expensive proposition. Or, do what I am doing, watch a series of AiM instructional videos on YouTube. I started with, "You have downloaded your data, now what?", Parts 1 and 2.

In order for me to get that hands on experience with my own data, my approach is to have two (2) lap tops going simultaneously. The first running Race Studio 3 with my most recently acquired data, and the second, watching "You have downloaded your data, now what?", Parts 1 and 2. As I watch the video and the presenter makes a point, I pause the video and mimic the point on my computer's Race Studio 3.

So far I have gotten through Part I, and confess to have gone through this process at least 3X. I discovered a few problems with my race Studio 3 software, and was able to click around and solve them. Now a few more have cropped up that seem to be over my head. I am going to visit an AiM knowledgable chap next week and get these display problems resolved. Biggest one, I can't seem to display my GPS generated track display, a key feature when you want a visualization of the line you took on your fastest lap, compared to other laps...let's say your second fastest lap. I have gotten some advice on this Board, will implement it next week.

Why bother learning to exploit the information Data Logging provides? Aren't lap times and Predictive Lapping feature good enough? These metrics are good, but not that much better than the "butt dyno" approach, in my opinion. Without analyzing the data, you'll never be able to take it to the next step. My mission is to continuously delve deeper into the Race Studio 3 software, and as a result, hope to become a consistently better driver. I have concluded, that the best ways to do this is to look at the freshly generated data immediately the conclusion of the session/race. Not waiting until the end of the day, or the following week to analyze the data. By then it's too late to make any changes to your past weekend's driving, the weekend is over.

Basically it comes down to a personal choice, you can doom yourself to do the same things over and over again and getting the same results, or using Race Studio 3 data, and improve. As a reference point, you can use your own personal best at that track, and compare future laps to that reference point., Another option that I intend to try, is to reference against a lap(s) set by a very talented and successful driver. This way it will become patently obvious if I am engaged in inappropriate coasting, too much braking, braking too early, taking a less than optimal line through the corner, not trail braking where it is the recommended technique to optimize a corner, not getting on the gas soon enough, not taking the entire track, etc., etc., etc.

Lastly, you were waiting for this? If you really want to learn your track(s), and assuming the track is in the Ross Bentley and Peter Schultz's Virtual Track Walk data base, it's an on-line purchase. I ordered their presentation for Laguna Seca. It was outstanding.....if nothing else if will lower the track's intimidation factor. The Virtual Track Walk is affordable, about $50, and you can watch it over and over again as I did...a mere 3X, but it really helped.

Keep the shiny side up!

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-26-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: SOLO 2 Race Studio3/Virtual Track Walk