Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Matt,
Do these show values on the dash in real time( Pista) or can they be used with an external 433mhz display or is it logging only? Assuming they are 433...
Damn, gonna need 3 or 4 of these LOL
I can't hook it up to an MXL Pista. The CAN config on that is not user definable and AiM won't add items to it anymore. On any of the new devices it's very easy to do (4 wires - 12v, ground, CAN+, CAN-).

If you are running a Race Capture (Podium Connect or other), that has 2 CAN inputs that you would be able to utilize. They have built a preconfig for these sensors and there is a great Wiki on how to set it up.

As to the display, I don't know. I have not tried that and there is no display with these.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

And I'm glad to supply a Podium Connect, but that still won't feed the MXL Pista, I'm afraid.

Matt, I am still interested. Let me know when you get the second batch in.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And I'm glad to supply a Podium Connect, but that still won't feed the MXL Pista, I'm afraid.

Matt, I am still interested. Let me know when you get the second batch in.
Correct on the PC. Lots of folks who use it seem to be on the tablet, Pi, or other display track, so they put them on there. I personally feel the data is more useful after the session as the driver needs to drive what they have, but I would guess we are on the same page there.

Should be sooner than later. Customs and the agent always the unknown. I've had a number of shipments held up for no apparent reason in the last few weeks. One was actually turned around and sent back!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will have some sets available at the AER race at the glen next weekend. Send me a PM if you want me to hold one for you.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:44 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Hi Matt,
I have a MXL Pista with one CAN for the SmartyCam. Does the TPMS system work with this setup?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Hi Matt,
I have a MXL Pista with one CAN for the SmartyCam. Does the TPMS system work with this setup?
No, it will not work with a Pista. The teams that use it with a Pista are putting the TPMS data into a Race Capture system (full system or Podium Connect) and then transmitting the telemetry stream back to the pits. The TPMS data does not go into the Pista in any way.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Matt - I'll ask the question here rather than via email, in case anyone else has the same question...I configured the TPMS sensor in RS3, but it seems as though I now cannot get an inputs via OBDII as this TPMS setup sensor has replaced the OBDII input as the ECU. Is this correct? I have my OBD wired in to the 'K-Line' inputs on the AiM wiring harness, and will use the CAN inputs for the TPMS system when I get my car back, but it looks like I can only pull data from one or the other.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PGas32
Matt - I'll ask the question here rather than via email, in case anyone else has the same question...I configured the TPMS sensor in RS3, but it seems as though I now cannot get an inputs via OBDII as this TPMS setup sensor has replaced the OBDII input as the ECU. Is this correct? I have my OBD wired in to the 'K-Line' inputs on the AiM wiring harness, and will use the CAN inputs for the TPMS system when I get my car back, but it looks like I can only pull data from one or the other.
It can not share CAN1 with a preconfigured item like the OBDII. It would have to go on CAN2.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Hi Matt,
Sent PM on another subject. Thanks, Tom
Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Got everything up and running last night, very cool and very easy install. Will try it out for real at Lime Rock in a couple of weeks

Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Awesome! You'll really like being able to review the TPMS data after the event. There is so much to learn!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Multiple tire sets + internal vs. external

Hi Matt,

With internal sensors how do you manage multiple sets of tires? eg. With three sets of wheels, do I need three systems and swap the receivers, or does it work with the 2nd/3rd set of sensors that is "close"?

I'm assuming that the temperature readings are more accurate/relevant with internal sensors than external?

From the graphs, it looks like the resolution for pressure measurements is 0.25PSI? Have you had a chance to test accuracy? Do all 4 sensors read +/-0.25PSI of each other?

Are spare external sensors available in case one is lost on the track?

Sorry for playing 20 questions, curious minds want to know..... ;-)

THANKS!
Greg
Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gregturek
Hi Matt,

With internal sensors how do you manage multiple sets of tires? eg. With three sets of wheels, do I need three systems and swap the receivers, or does it work with the 2nd/3rd set of sensors that is "close"?

I'm assuming that the temperature readings are more accurate/relevant with internal sensors than external?

From the graphs, it looks like the resolution for pressure measurements is 0.25PSI? Have you had a chance to test accuracy? Do all 4 sensors read +/-0.25PSI of each other?

Are spare external sensors available in case one is lost on the track?

Sorry for playing 20 questions, curious minds want to know..... ;-)

THANKS!
Greg
The setups right now only work with the 4 sensors. You can replace a sensor, but it's not an easy pairing process and the replacements aren't too cheap ($42 each). What people have done is just buy multiple sets and then they can change the box out. I may do a group buy (would need 30+ people) for a system of 3 sets of internal sensors to one receiver. I'm trying to see if there is enough interest before doing it.

The internal maybe a bit more accurate and are less influenced by outside influences, but the external are pretty good. I can predict pressures within .5 lbs most of the time (there are a lot of variables that go into it).

The sensors are accurate to themselves and have been accurate to the Intercomp and Longacre gauges I've used with them. They have never been more than .75 lbs different and are repeatable at that difference. Resolution is about .4 psi.

These systems are terrific at the price point. They are not a bf1 or McLaren system, but they will give you 95% of the data at about 4% of the cost! Feel free to bounce off more questions.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will have a few sets at WGI Thursday through Sunday. Located in garage 6.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The setups right now only work with the 4 sensors. You can replace a sensor, but it's not an easy pairing process and the replacements aren't too cheap ($42 each). What people have done is just buy multiple sets and then they can change the box out. I may do a group buy (would need 30+ people) for a system of 3 sets of internal sensors to one receiver. I'm trying to see if there is enough interest before doing it.

The internal maybe a bit more accurate and are less influenced by outside influences, but the external are pretty good. I can predict pressures within .5 lbs most of the time (there are a lot of variables that go into it).

The sensors are accurate to themselves and have been accurate to the Intercomp and Longacre gauges I've used with them. They have never been more than .75 lbs different and are repeatable at that difference. Resolution is about .4 psi.

These systems are terrific at the price point. They are not a bf1 or McLaren system, but they will give you 95% of the data at about 4% of the cost! Feel free to bounce off more questions.
Thanks Matt,

Can you compare the effort to pair a new set of sensors vs. remove/install a different receiver on an AIM MXL2 configuration?

Grg

Quick Reply: TPMS system w/ CAN output for $225