How much does data help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Good post, Matt.

I will say that the best analysts do cross check and dynamically link multiple measures to validate the initial “hunch,” looking at speed trace, is correct. Or not.

gSum has been a central theme in my coaching methodology since day one. It’s the end result of everything you do, the ultimate measure of how much of the tire the driver is using, all the time.

Race-Keeper, MoTeC, Bosch, VBOX, AiM, Apex Pro, RacePak CL1/CL2, even AEM’s VDM and others all count it as an included or “should/must have” math channel, and it doesn’t even require sensors or a connection to the car!

The reason why I like it for self coaching is that very infrequently, drivers nail braking or a particular corner in what Bruce MacInnes calls “flowing brilliance.” Even intermediate drivers can do this periodically.

This establishes a new benchmark of forces that the car will accept without flying off the track and can be used to compare to other corners/areas/skill execution and control input “blends.”

We’ve all seen enough speed traces to identify tracks without knowing where the log files are from! But to progress, drivers first need to make the speed and control input traces look like that cool card you made up a long time ago, and then look at the end result, the sum of all the forces that they are subjecting the tire to SUCCESSFULLY, for a true benchmark buried in their laps throughout the session. Then, they can go back and look at the speed trace and control input traces and chances are, it’s pretty good.

Rarely have I ever seen a nice speed trace on a slow driver though, for sure!

Great thread, this is!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Data analysis is only as good as the amount of time that you spend analyzing it.

Take it step by step: Buy a used AIM Solo for $250 and have an instructor show you some basic metrics to track. You can look at live predictive lap timing and then subsequently at best theoretical laps, corner min speeds, GSum, top speeds between corners, etc. When you are ready sell the AIM SOLO for close to what you bought it for and move up to a used AIM SOLO DL which will allow you to tap into your cars CAN system for more metrics. Work with an instructor or a coach to help you look for the important stuff and then execute it on the track.

Quick Reply: How much does data help?