Notices

Garmin VIRB XE Auto Racing Bundle

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Garmin VIRB XE Auto Racing Bundle

Anyone use this Garmin camera design for track use? I’m just looking for great video with speed, rpm, lap time g-force over lay. Throttle and brake would be cool too and I think this camera will do that too through obd2...not sure.

Id just use my Porsche Track App but the camera in my iPhone X is very shaky

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/534013
Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Mike, I know you had trouble a long time ago with the AiM SDL/SmartyCam convo, but it is the best way and we can help you get it working.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Mike, I know you had trouble a long time ago with the AiM SDL/SmartyCam convo, but it is the best way and we can help you get it working.
Hi, you might have me confused with someone else...I’ve not had any AiM products....I had Race Keeper back,in 2012 that would drive me nuts at times...lol

Im just not wanting to spend AiM money yet.....eventually probably though to,get back,to studying the squiggly lines....but right now just want some good clear video with some minor data over lay for under $4 or 500.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Got it. I talk to alot of people, for sure!

The ViRB or the Waylens is the ticket, then.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks coach....thinking I might try the Garmin....but still try to figure out if the Porsch Track App has actually improved and if a GoPro or the Garmin VIRB can be used with the Porsche cars Wi-Fi system and track app.....seems like there is no real info out there about this.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

The Garmin Virb (edit: specifically, the Virb Ultra 30) is indeed your ticket for budget video / data all in one. Built in 10hz GPS, accelerometer, and a bunch more. Pair it with a $20 bluetooth OBDII transmitter and you're in business for basic video, data and lap times. Here's how I set up my videos using mine, this is right out of the Garmin software using the Veepeak OBDII bluetooth module available on Amazon.

Be warned though, you will get sick of having to export the videos through the Garmin software. Takes HOURS and HOURS to export video with data overlaid, after a track weekend. Plus you can't re-scale any of the gauges available to choose from, hence the above video shows a tach with 12,000 rpm range and the throttle shows 87% when actually it's 100%. Lots of little things here and there that are annoying and for this reason, plus wanting to see realtime & predictive lap timing, I'm hoping to upgrade to an AIM setup this season. But for the money and simplicity, the Garmin VIRB is a good entry level option.

Last edited by cstyles; 02-18-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

thanks for the honest review! Ultimately I’d like to figure out and get the Porsch Track App for my 2018 GT3 working with a GoPro camera...that would give me everything I want for now. However the Porsche app and the car seems real buggy and so far I can’t find anyone that’s said the GoPro syncs right up with out issues.

Quick Reply: Garmin VIRB XE Auto Racing Bundle