AIM SoloDL Porsche 2014 981S Channel Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Question AIM SoloDL Porsche 2014 981S Channel Question

AIM SoloDL Porsche 2014 981S Channel Question

I have a 2014 981S w/ the SoloDL connected via the ECU CAN bus (not OBDII connector).

I understand that both the 991_911 (35 channels) and the 991_981 OBDII (13 Channels) protocols will work.

I’ve read that not all channels have been validated and therefore may not be available from the ECU.

Does anybody have a list of which channels (both 991_911 & 991_981 protocol) are available from the Porsche 981S ECU when connected directly to the ECU CAN Bus?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

First off, I’ve seen the number of channels that come through vary by year, model and transmission of the 981 series cars.

Second, you state both configurations but only one connection method (direct wire CAN to the vehicle). It doesn’t work that way. The OBDII connection works with the OBDII cable and not the direct wire one, and vice versa. Pick a connection method and use the associated protocol in your configuration.

It’s been observed that the OBDII connection does not send brake pressure to the SDL/S2DL, whereas the 911_991 direct wire CAN connection does. Also, the direct wire offers substantially quicker refresh (data rates) than the limited choices and capability of the OBDII connection.

For this reason alone, I would recommend the direct wire connection to your car and the use of the 911_991 configuration on your device. You’ll get more information than you can shake a stick at (or learn how to use in a long time), more channels, more frequent refresh rates and be more pleased with the result.

I’ll look at some of my recent 981 files (mostly GT4 but also some S models) to see what comes through, but they do periodically update to add functionality and channels. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Like Peter said, it can vary by vehicle. If it's a deal breaker for you buying one, I'd send you one to try as long as you report back. Pay for it and keep it if your happy, send it backing your not.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Some of those 35 channels reflect internal engine conditions that show arbitrary, expected numbers from the ECU mapping and various status reports.

I can tell you with certainty that the "money channels," driver control inputs and the vehicle's measure of what you're doing with your hands, your feet and the vehicle's response TO those inputs ALL comes through on this protocol.

You should be good to go with the system and connection that is currently in your car, IF you have loaded the 911_991 configuration. You get the same info as a newer Solo 2 DL with your Solo DL. So all is good.

Make sure you set up the SmartyCam output channels in the config before you send it to the SDL, and make sure those measures are on the background of your SmartyCam, to get the most value out of this set up.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-14-2019, 12:34 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Peter & Matt for the pointers and information. I now understand which protocol to use w/ my CAN connected AIM SoloDL (981S w/ PDK). I've always had it configured using 991_911 protocol but recently did some experimenting w/ the OBDII version. The AIM 'how to' documentation (IMHO) is weak. I probably should sign up for one of your on-line sessions to fully get it (data collection and analyses).

Once again thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by AP997S; 02-14-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No sweat! Have fun and reach out if we can help.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by AP997S
Thanks Peter & Matt for the pointers and information. I now understand which protocol to use w/ my CAN connected AIM SoloDL (981S w/ PDK). I've always had it configured using 991_911 protocol but recently did some experimenting w/ the OBDII version. The AIM 'how to' documentation (IMHO) is weak. I probably should sign up for one of your on-line sessions to fully get it (data collection and analyses).

Once again thanks for taking the time.
No problem! If you have trouble and need a more immediate answer, feel free to call or text anytime. My cell is 603-674-3250.

Have you checked out the AiM YouTube page?

Quick Reply: AIM SoloDL Porsche 2014 981S Channel Question