Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de-233/)
-   -   Best 'Track ' Laptop (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/1128049-best-track-laptop.html)

dbbarron 02-07-2019 01:39 PM

Best 'Track ' Laptop

This qets asked every year; sometimes by me.
What is the current 'best choice' for a laptop at the track.
Basic analysis and video playback.
Common systems (e.g., AIM).

To me, higher resolution and screen size are important, but so are size and weight.
Maybe 1080p 15" screen is an ideal compromise.
Lastly, price is important as the laptop is likely subject to higher physical risk than normal.

I'm likely sticking with my 2015 rMBP 512GB SSD. It's a little heavy and I could use more storage, but can't justify a new purchase yet.
Performance remains fine.

Hula 02-07-2019 02:28 PM

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Panasonic Toughbook 20 seems fit for purpose but it's $2800. Probably more that you indicated but it's rugged and will survive most physical risk. It has a sunlight readable screen. The screen can detach from the keyboard to function as a tablet if needed. And, as a tablet, it supports multi-touch with gloves on. It also has optional built in 4G LTE and GPS.

https://toughruggedlaptops.com/new-t...20-config.html

Lots of cheap refurbished options too of you don't need the tablet functionality. I think for track work the sunlight readable screen is key.

https://www.bobjohnson.com/toughbooks/

Matt Romanowski 02-07-2019 03:17 PM

I'm on a Dell XPS15 that is loaded up. I love it compared to the old workstation that was 6 lbs heavier everywhere I went.

dbbarron 02-07-2019 04:56 PM

I think you have to choose one of two paths - either the premier path (Toughbook or MBP) or alternatively, what's the least expensive unit that supports your needs.

ProCoach 02-07-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by dbbarron (Post 15622479)
Maybe 1080p 15" screen is an ideal compromise.
Lastly, price is important as the laptop is likely subject to higher physical risk than normal.

I'm likely sticking with my 2015 rMBP 512GB SSD. It's a little heavy and I could use more storage, but can't justify a new purchase yet.
Performance remains fine.

This is EXACTLY what I’ve gone back to after several Surface Pros, a Surface Book, an Eve V and an XPS13 9360 Dell.

Rugged, dependable, has an SD card slot and an HDMI port, bright screen for outside and runs four side-by-side 1920x1080 PiP videos for comparison without a hiccup. I run latest Win10 under Boot Camp.

I still carry the eighth gen XPS13 9360 (last one with an SD card slot) and the last gen original MBA for backup to events, but default to the rMBP most times.

dbbarron 02-07-2019 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15623009)

This is EXACTLY what I’ve gone back to after several Surface Pros, a Surface Book, an Eve V and an XPS13 9360 Dell.

Rugged, dependable, has an SD card slot and an HDMI port, bright screen for outside and runs four side-by-side 1920x1080 PiP videos for comparison without a hiccup. I run latest Win10 under Boot Camp.

I still carry the eighth gen XPS13 9360 (last one with an SD card slot) and the last gen original MBA for backup to events, but default to the rMBP most times.

Yup - I too have the last rMBP modl (12,1 or 2?) with all the native ports. I'd hate to give that up.
I'd like more storage, but for now I use a Sandisk Ultrafit nano USB drive for an extra 256GB. I figure that size will double every year as they release new models.
I really don't like relying upon external drivers, interfaces, etc.

Matt Romanowski 02-07-2019 05:49 PM

The Dell XPS 15 still has the SD card slot in the newest version AFAIK. I know lots of people like the 13" laptops, but I find them too small.

ProCoach 02-07-2019 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski (Post 15623133)
The Dell XPS 15 still has the SD card slot in the newest version AFAIK. I know lots of people like the 13" laptops, but I find them too small.

Yep, I was talking about the still current 9360 XPS13.

In the recently released versions of the XPS13, the 9370/9380, they've made the cases smaller still and in doing so, they've discontinued the SD card slot. No go, for me! :D

I use the Intel wireless display feature most of the time with a separate, larger display, if I need it. The dongle plugs right in and voila, instant streaming on any HDMI equipped display wirelessly from the XPS13. Yours does it, too.

Matt Romanowski 02-07-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15623153)
Yep, I was talking about the still current 9360 XPS13.

In the recently released versions of the XPS13, the 9370/9380, they've made the cases smaller still and in doing so, they've discontinued the SD card slot. No go, for me! :D

I use the Intel wireless display feature most of the time with a separate, larger display, if I need it. The dongle plugs right in and voila, instant streaming on any HDMI equipped display wirelessly from the XPS13. Yours does it, too.

I carry enough stuff, so the extra monitor doesn't go carryon :roflmao: I fly with people, do lots of analysis after the day is done, and in other spots where there is no easy extra monitor. But that is my workflow, I know lots of people like the smaller screens, they just don't work for me.

I do like how Ross uses his maps from www.speedsecrets.com and then marks them up and sends them to people. I think that is a great feature and making me consider a tablet (again).

ProCoach 02-07-2019 06:12 PM

Ha! Seems like most haulers, hotels and trailers all seem to have at least something with an HDMI input. I do sometimes send a monitor with the team or deliver to the track with a return label. Helps a lot.

RobT 394 02-09-2019 10:45 AM

Purchased the Lenovo X1 Extreme just before the holidays. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...-currentmodels
Love this laptop for track use. Large and vibrant screen, has all the ports you need so you do not have to carry a ton of dongles, SD card slot is really nice to have. I also use it to run my iRacing setup which is low budget. It works flawlessly. Has enough processing and graphics.

I carry the X1 Carbon for work. While lighter, it does not have the ports or the power of the Extreme.

matt33 02-10-2019 02:42 AM

One thing not mentioned: get a matte screen. The super high def glossy screens although they look fantastic don’t function well in bright light/outdoors.

The Dell XPS for example - the lower res FHD matte screen is significantly better outdoors than their UHD.

Matty

ProCoach 02-10-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by matt33 (Post 15628293)

The Dell XPS for example - the lower res FHD matte screen is significantly better outdoors than their UHD.

Matty

I chose the FHD screen for that reason on my XPS13, but the brightness on the rMBP is good enough to overcome the glare outside, at least for me.

dbbarron 02-10-2019 01:17 PM

My main reason for an 'upgrade' is for a larger screen. I really like my 27" desktop for data review, but don't have an enclosed trailer or other environment to setup anything like that.
So, time has now provided the advantage of some 4k displays on 17" screens. That;s alot of data at once. However, these are typically heavy, although I'm starting to see some hin and light ones out there.

38D 02-10-2019 06:26 PM

I had a 2 year old 17” HP Spectre which I just ditched for a MBP simply because the 17” was too big and bulky.