Smartycam GP - how to mount controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
What size roll-bar did you design for? Although, I don't think the patch cord I have would reach to my roll-bar, so I'd probably have to order another of those.

Btw, which bullet cam did you get, narrow or wide? My kit came with the wide-angle and it seems too wide. I get about 2/3rd interior and 1/3rd out windows in the frame. However, the pictures of the narrow angle I've seen, looks like it is only between the A-pillers, so you don't get much view of driver's hands or a car at your front fender.
The FOV is generally listed on the camera body. If the lens is convex, it's a 120 degree (too wide, IMO), if it's a 60/67 or 84, it's flat.

I like the 84 FOV when mounted in the plane of the main roll hoop, the 67 if suspended from rear glass on Vipers, Mustangs and 991 cars without roll bars. Pillar to pillar view is good.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-19-2019, 02:52 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It's an 84 deg. Got it mounted on the main hoop diagonal in my SM. The FOV just seems a lot wider than similar angle in another camera I have, but those are "adjustable" angles. I don't recall what the native lens angle was on that camera. I've got vent window to vent window view. Have not had it on the track yet, so won't know how real footage looks until then. Now I gotta learn how to use this dang system...
Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
What size roll-bar did you design for? Although, I don't think the patch cord I have would reach to my roll-bar, so I'd probably have to order another of those.

Btw, which bullet cam did you get, narrow or wide? My kit came with the wide-angle and it seems too wide. I get about 2/3rd interior and 1/3rd out windows in the frame. However, the pictures of the narrow angle I've seen, looks like it is only between the A-pillers, so you don't get much view of driver's hands or a car at your front fender.
Designed for the GT4 Clubsport bar as the baseline. The nice thing with a simple parametric model is I can change the clamping diameter at will, assign a new part number which is printed with the part, then distribute the correct size to the requester. Even if I had a bunch of different sizes it's a simple entry on a spreadsheet that links to the CAD model.

I'm using the narrow fov as recommended for in car use.

Quick Reply: Smartycam GP - how to mount controller