Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Another Good Racers360 article

Just say this on FB and thought it was worth the share. https://racers360.com/blog/go-faster...Wgb-lDXcJo_gNM

This about this and your average throttle for a lap.....
Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Just say this on FB and thought it was worth the share. https://racers360.com/blog/go-faster...Wgb-lDXcJo_gNM

This about this and your average throttle for a lap.....
And this is why Jorge's correlations make so much sense!

I would say that is the NUMBER ONE challenge for track day, club racing and HPDE drivers that I see. A lack of commitment... Many drivers say "oh, but I'm ON the throttle." Problem is, they're piddling when, in fact, the car will accept a LOT more...

It's easier for pros and top level club drivers (I see little difference), because they've trained their mind and their feet to commit to MORE than they think they OUGHT to, and THEN they fix it, IF there's a problem.

Most club level drivers either never get there, or fix it before it's a problem.

Great post. Thanks!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And this is why Jorge's correlations make so much sense!

I would say that is the NUMBER ONE challenge for track day, club racing and HPDE drivers that I see. A lack of commitment... Many drivers say "oh, but I'm ON the throttle." Problem is, they're piddling when, in fact, the car will accept a LOT more...

It's easier for pros and top level club drivers (I see little difference), because they've trained their mind and their feet to commit to MORE than they think they OUGHT to, and THEN they fix it, IF there's a problem.

Most club level drivers either never get there, or fix it before it's a problem.

Great post. Thanks!
Agreed, but I would say the problem is confidence, not giving the car enough throttle. The best drivers believe they can fix whatever mistake the make whether it's entry speed, throttle application, track position, etc. The people below that level drive below the level of the car because they don't believe they have the skills to fix the problem. Some do and some don't! 😀
Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Agreed, but I would say the problem is confidence, not giving the car enough throttle. The best drivers believe they can fix whatever mistake the make whether it's entry speed, throttle application, track position, etc. The people below that level drive below the level of the car because they don't believe they have the skills to fix the problem. Some do and some don't! ��
Yes, confidence is at the root of the inability to commit, so we're saying the same thing!

Still, a majority of people think they've "checked off the list" going back to power, when the WAY they went back to power and HOW MUCH throttle they used for an extended period of time is not sufficient, or near as much as the car will take, if asked firmly and decisively!

I find these articles good because they highlight targeted areas and the detail that goes into yielding top-level performance.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

I can imagine that the degree of commitment needed to keep the throttle down longer in a really fast car could be challenging; however, in my 121hp bomber I rarely have that problem! My right foot, leg and butt cheek still get sore after spending hours at a lapping day trying to put the gas pedal through the floor ALL THE TIME

But I do agree with the notion in the article that staying on full throttle longer resulting in a bigger lift before turn-in (or braking into the turn, for that matter) can be dicey, even in my car.....this is one instance where having fwd as I do can actually be a hindrance. Using T7 (at end of back straight) at Mid-Ohio as an example I can, and have, felt the weightless rear of the car want to come around during turn-in, especially as the track falls away from you after the apex. This is where your "fast hands" to "fix things" potentially come into play, Peter and Matt!

Gary

Quick Reply: Another Good Racers360 article