Notices

Understanding brake pressure (psi) - what is it telling me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That makes far more sense than .42 seconds. I was curious on your first post, this on enot so much.
That’s the nice thing about data. Can’t make it up. It is what it is.

The 1:54.XXX at Sebring and 1:39.XXX at VIR in the LMP-C Orecas (different drivers, both IMSA winners) register between .45 and .47, in all the big brake zones.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I also don't mean to derail the thread but in this paper it talks about the time it takes to get to max pressure from zero -- it seems to suggest that 200 miliseconds is a good yardstick. You're driving a GT4CS which is probably sprung and damped racecar style so perhaps that's a reasonable goal. I do wonder if it's possible that this is actually _too_ fast for a street car that doesn't have quite the same stiffness to it. So maybe for the experts -- would a street GT4 and a GT4CS have the same goal in terms of how fast you get that initial pressure rise to reach max??
I would not tell you a specific time on this. In my experience, in new cars with ABS and different tires, there is a range that is acceptable. I would not expect 200 ms to be acceptable in anything driven on the street short of a few supercars. The chassis is not stiff enough and you can de-accelerate the tires faster than the weight will transfer causing the tires to lock. That is the start of ice mode. As an aside, you can do the same thing with pad selection if the fronts have too much bite.

Back to brake application, this is the idea of "drama" that Dave Scott talks about. When you transition from gas to brake, it has to be as fast as possible. But, when applying the brake, it has to be at a rate that the chassis will accept. There is a great video of Frank Consteneau (I'm sure the spelling is wrong) at Watkins Glen were on the initial application of the brakes into the Bus Stop you hear a quick squeal of the tires. That is right on the edge of being too fast. If you drive a stock 944, you can easily build brake pressure far too fast for the chassis and you'll feel the tires start to lock before the weight has fully transfered.

Great topic. It's a technique and tool that driver's need to learn. I get people to drill trying to build pressure faster and faster until it's too quick. Like shock sweeps, it's important to learn how each rate affects the car and then figure out what is right.

Good info, Peter -- thanks! Are you standing by .5 secs for street cars after looking at the GT4CS data??

Not sure this is legit or not but being a kinesthetic learner, one thing I did with a motec set up was dry run brake application to get a feel for what looks right. To do this I sit in the car (engine running, since I have boosted brakes), hook up a laptop to the MoTeC dash, got to Online->Monitor and pick the brake pressure channel, and then use the oscilloscope screen -- what that does is give you a scrolling view of brake pressure real time...so far as I can tell it's like watching the brake pressure trace in a logged file only real time (poor man's telemetry view I guess). I had to wedge the Surface Pro I used in my field of view up on the car dashboard so I could be in a normal-ish driving position. I think that practicing going from throttle pedal to brake with a nice sharp rise time -- which you can see easily on the oscilloscope graph -- has helped me produce better looking results on the track. But to the OP question specifically: perhaps that's a way to figure out how the pedal works in the GT4CS without having to get on the track proper??
This is a fantastic use of your system! If you've played any other sports, you'll know you do drills. In baseball, you'll do batting practice, take grounders, take fly *****, etc. In driving, you have to make the same sort of drills to get better. What you did was make a great drill that you're able to get an immediate feedback loop and quantify your performance. Perfect!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach

That’s the nice thing about data. Can’t make it up. It is what it is.

The 1:54.XXX at Sebring and 1:39.XXX at VIR in the LMP-C Orecas (different drivers, both IMSA winners) register between .45 and .47, in all the big brake zones.
No doubt. Great use of the squiggly lines too. No way to get these numbers from the video.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:18 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 203 Posts

Great stuff here, thanks.

Looking deeper into my own data at Sebring, Jan Heylen hit max PSI between 0.3 and 0.5 seconds. I think the differences between corners (and between tracks in ProCoach's data) could be related to grip levels in various corners. I am in the 0.6-0.7 range. Part of the difference is he left foot brakes and I right foot brake. He actually said that my speed trace was good for right foot braking. I can probably get to 0.5X with my right foot but will need to learn to left foot brake to get the rest.

Higher force will come with practice. As I learn to brake deeper and take advantage of this car's capabilities, the 'Oh Sh*T' moment will help me press hader, as noted by ProCoach. I have already noticed that impact in my data.

Coming from my 996 street based build with boost and street ABS I am finding I have to completely relearn how to use the brake pedal. In that car I had to tip into the brake pedal lightly as first, and then a hard consistent press down to threshold braking, which happened before ABS engaged. If the initial application was too hard I would hit ice mode so initial speed and total force was a controlled exercise. I am now trying to erase that muscle memory and do the complete opposite!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I would say there’s very little difference at all between the Brake Aggression time and different tracks, although I do think there is a difference between cars (Brake aggression acceptance?)

I would focus on AT LEAST matching Jan’s rise time and the way you’re thinking about making the transition from the old car to the new sounds about right.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’ll add that the speed at which drivers go from initial brake application to max pressure is separate and away from right or left foot braking.

It’s just an off-full application time, not an off-throttle to full-brake application time.

If one foot is slower than another, you have a different problem!

Most people generate higher and more consistent pressure with their right leg, unless they have or until they accumulate substantial experience with LFB, in my experience.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With practice, I would expect you can quicken your right foot. Like Peter said, the rise time is from no brake pressure to brake pressure, not from throttle to brake. In the brake pressure rise, it's not foot dependent. In fact, I find that unless you're a well practiced and focused left foot braker, many are better with their right foot as it has more fidelity and practice. Left foot brakers often have overlap of their throttle and brake trace - it's actually one of the easy ways to see how someone uses their feet.

As a general rule, I would rather have a great right foot braker than a average left foot braker.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt raises some great points. Best execution of fundamental skills wins again.

Drivers often use LFB selectively, for fast bends as opposed to massive, longer brake zones. Part of this is to influence the car’s responsiveness through targeted weight distribution change.

It’s fun to study, but I haven’t seen a RFB (that was functioning at a very high level) that was at a demonstrable performance disadvantage to a LFB. It’s what you can do the best, without having to think about the mechanics of the execution and the ergonomics of doing it.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
This is a fantastic use of your system! If you've played any other sports, you'll know you do drills. In baseball, you'll do batting practice, take grounders, take fly *****, etc. In driving, you have to make the same sort of drills to get better. What you did was make a great drill that you're able to get an immediate feedback loop and quantify your performance. Perfect!
That's what I was aiming for -- deliberate practice I just finished reading "Peak" and I found it convincing. You're right about other sports: as a wannabe tennis player I'm used to set-piece drills from that context. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more people talking about [physical not mental/visualization] drills to focus in on specific skills for racing and high performance driving; drills that don't require an actual track specifically...wish there were more.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's what I was aiming for -- deliberate practice I just finished reading "Peak" and I found it convincing. You're right about other sports: as a wannabe tennis player I'm used to set-piece drills from that context. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more people talking about [physical not mental/visualization] drills to focus in on specific skills for racing and high performance driving; drills that don't require an actual track specifically...wish there were more.
There are ways to do it. In driving, you don't often hear of the deliberate practice sessions. I've coined them "skill builders" and work them into in and out lap routines. I mentioned them in the Speed Secrets podcast with Ross. If you shoot me an email, I'll send you a copy of the track map book I made and it has a great list in it. Once you see what I've come up with, I'm sure you'll have more that are tailored to your needs. Matt@trailbrake.net

Edit: I should add - this is much of why I say it's not always required to hire a coach to improve. With some self study and motivation, most people can identify some trends in their driving (James Colburn has a great YT video on this). Once you know what you need to work on, it's about designing a deliberate practice routine for it. If it's fast brake application - how are you going to improve it? If it's slow release of the brakes, what could you do? If it's not knowing the track well enough, what could you do?

For folks who have played sports at any decent level or really watched at a high level, they have seen the practice routines. Apply those to your driving. That is why things like skid pads are so good. It's deliberate practice. Same for car control activities like threshold braking, figure eights, vision exercises.

Read the book "The Power of Habit" and then think about how to apply that to your driving. Maybe we should start a book club? I have a pretty good list going on my IG page and I'm sure we can come up with more.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks, Matt -- email on the way I'll look for James' video. Dave Scott's "drama" comments definitely resonated for me too, btw.

Funny you should mention "Power of Habit" -- that's on my Kindle one or two down the list Working my way through the Boyd book right now -- OODA: I think that definitely applies to maneuvering cars almost as much as jets!

Quick Reply: Understanding brake pressure (psi) - what is it telling me?