Notices

VBox Tyre Temperature Monitoring System

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Caleb Holloway
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mount the sensor further away than necessary such that it keeps the tire within the field-of-view during cornering. Then analyze the data efficiently using color contour plotting (e.g., i2 Pro's "color graph"). This is how most of my clients analyze multichannel tire temp data, and they've been doing it in F1 for many years.

Not a perfect example but you get the point:
Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Caleb Holloway
Mount the sensor further away than necessary such that it keeps the tire within the field-of-view during cornering. Then analyze the data efficiently using color contour plotting (e.g., i2 Pro's "color graph"). This is how most of my clients analyze multichannel tire temp data, and they've been doing it in F1 for many years.
I love it! VIR T1 through T4! Awesome chart.

While I agree that MoTeC and i2 Pro color graphs are better than strip charts, perhaps the best way to assimilate the datum efficiently, as you point out, the information using the tire bars on the background of the VBOX video can be equally easily and efficiently assimilated by most club level driver/analysts on their own, in my experience.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Very cool.
Disapointed though that VBOX doesn’t make ambient, oil and water temps work with the GT3RS.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very cool.
Disapointed though that VBOX doesn’t make ambient, oil and water temps work with the GT3RS.
We'll have to see if they can fix that. Can get all that and more on the GT4 CS MR
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter, I had to wait about 6 months before they got the interface working on my .1RS.
This is for new 19 .2GT3RS...
Temps would be awesome, I've had them at some point in my 997 4.0 with the old VBox.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:10 AM
alex_alsense
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I run an European startup and we're currently finalising the development of our own wireless tire temperature sensing solution. It will be on par with the Texense solution in terms of features (a bit better in some respects) and significantly better value for money. One big differentiating factor is that it will have GPS and SD logging on board (besides CAN), so can be used without a separate dash/logger. There will be two versions, a Standard and a Pro, both coming with two possible sensor orientations (pictured below). The Standard will launch at around 300 euros/corner and have 10Hz update rate and GPD and SD logging as well as Bluetooth, with full integration with Harry's LapTimer.

Before the launch, which is scheduled to happen in about 7-9 months time, we're also looking to get some early adopters on board. Being an early adopter will be about using the system regularly and providing feedback mainly on its usability. As a consequence the purchase price will be significantly better as well. We're looking to end up with an additional 10 running setups worldwide (not just Porsche), so this will be reserved for people that track their car fairly regularly and that are a good fit in terms of expertise.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 09-14-2019, 08:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Please contact me. I’m a large dealer and have a
commercial office at Virginia International Raceway. I may be able to put your device into use every week with the track schedule here on a wide variety of cars.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

PM or email me as well. matt@trailbrake.net
Old 09-17-2019, 03:35 AM
alex_alsense
AutoX

Have messaged you both.

Alex
Old 07-12-2021, 12:57 PM
alex_alsense
AutoX

Just wanted to post a quick update on the subject. We've been selling our wired tire temperature sensors for close to half a year now, running successfully on a number of cars over here in Europe and in the US as well, through Matt's excellent contribution as our North American dealer. We've also launched our wireless setup today, available to order as demo units at a special price. Here's our sensor running a 992 Porsche Supercup car.

Wired sensors: https://www.alsense.eu/als-tire-wired/
Wireless: https://www.alsense.eu/als-tire-pro/

Old 07-13-2021, 09:42 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

These wireless sensors will be a gamer changer for lots of people. No more running wiring through the car and easy install for test sessions. The Alense setups are very nice, lightweight, and give great data.
The following users liked this post:
alex_alsense (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 09:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Anyone know why Porsche can’t figure out tire temps but it’s standard on a Mercedes or BMW street cars?

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-13-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:09 AM
alex_alsense
AutoX

Anyone know why Porsche can’t figure out tire temps but it’s standard on a Mercedes or BMW street cars?
Mercedes and BMW measure the air temperature inside the tire, something of limited use if doing even remotely serious track work. There is some value to that data as well, but only if using it in conjunction with tread temperature data to model tire behavior. As a very loose comparison, it's like using coolant temperature as a proxy for EGT measurements.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thank you, I was surprised to see it in my 2019 MB but not in the 991RS, do the 992GT3’s have (air in the tire) tire temp yet?
Old 07-13-2021, 10:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's in some of the competition cars. Specifically, the 718 GT4 CS. Comes through in AiM and VBOX standard, along with tire pressures.

Quick Reply: VBox Tyre Temperature Monitoring System