Notices

RaceCapture/Track MK2 or something else

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:50 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts
Default RaceCapture/Track MK2 or something else

I have been using HLT and recently got a new phone. The accuracy of the GPS is pretty bad with the Google Pixel. Also looking for some obdII data that I don't have today.

Is the RaceCapture/Track MK2 good to replace the internal sensors on the phone and integrate with 1 maybe 2 GoPro cams? Looks like it has what I am looking for at a nice price point.

I haven't been able to find many reviews and I know some of these device are ultra buggy. Any input appreciated.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Am a dealer and can't recommend due to the fact I haven't tested in the field yet.

Better yet, look into the RacePak CL1 or AiM S2DL. Or better.

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Am a dealer and cant recommend.

Better yet, RacePak CL1 or AiM S2DL. Or better.
Agreed. I think the Solo 2 DL with a SCHD is the best bang for the buck at an entry level. Easy to setup, runs automatically, and a huge user base to learn from and compare against.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replys. Agree the Solo 2 DL and cam is a great setup. At ~$1700 its a bit more than I was looking at but maybe that's where I need to go.

My thoughts on progression. HTL with internal sensors --> HTL with external sensors --> Integrated starter setup like SOLO DL. Understand I am throwing away expense of external sensors but willing to do that if it gets me through another year or two. However.. don't want to go that route if it just doesn't work.

Anyone have experience with the Track MK2 or other external sensors with HLT that can comment?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

VBOX Sport adds a ton of GPS accuracy and integrates very well with HLT. No added video, but the price point is good, $420 plus mount

The best and least expensive standalone at the price point may be the RacePak CL1 and their new device, available after SEMA, that operates using phones and tablets very, very easily. No more laptops required. $595

I only have experience with the ASL RCP, which is a little more, but very flexible and can integrate and control some of the GoPros.

I can tell you that I think Matt's and my business is well supported by people DONE with HLT as a reliable solution, with external sensors or not.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Look for a used Solo DL to start. You'll be happier, but as Peter said, HLT is a great leader to us!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
VBOX Sport adds a ton of GPS accuracy and integrates very well with HLT. No added video, but the price point is good, $420 plus mount
Picture of HLT with booster GPS paths versus HLT with VBOX Sport augmented GPS paths... One is not like the other...

Red-HLT with 160 cradle Blue-HLT with VBOX Sport
Old 10-16-2018, 03:31 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got HLT and it doesn't use the sensors in the RaceCapture (I've got the Track), it only gets the GPS and the OBDII data from the RaceCapture, and that is when HLT will connect to it.

I've gone through the following evolution:
  • HLT on Android with 5Hz external QStarz GPS - worked good until it didn't
  • RaceCapture/Track + Mobius action cameras for video - I really like the predictive timer features. I bought this from the kickstarter to run with HLT but could never get it to work.
  • AIM Solo DL + Mobius action camera - my current setup - the predictive timer is good but doesn't seem to update as rapidly as the RaceCapture. But still good. But it has the AIm Race Studio data analysis software, which if I ever learn to us it, I am sure will be very good
  • Apex Pro - I run this in freestyle mode along with the AIM Solo DL
I use Dashware software to render the data overlay onto the video. Now that I have got my templates and projects and so forth setup, it only takes a few moments to load up a session and kick off the data rendering process.

The AIM Solo DL + Mobius action camera + dashware may be a more budget friendly way to get most of the same functionality as AIM Solo DL + SmartyCam, at the cost of you have to do extra work to remember to start/stop the camera, and also the extra work to overlay the data onto the video.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Ok.. you guys are winning me over

To keep the cost down.. what if I just did the Solo DL now and continued to use my go pros.. would just need to render after the event?

How accurate is the Solo on the GPS. Seems since its not externally mounted it wouldn't be as accurate?
Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by platinum997
Ok.. you guys are winning me over

To keep the cost down.. what if I just did the Solo DL now and continued to use my go pros.. would just need to render after the event?

How accurate is the Solo on the GPS. Seems since its not externally mounted it wouldn't be as accurate?
Ok, the Solo 2 DL connects to late model cars and gets at least RPM, throttle position and some other car info. On some cars it gets a LOT more. $699

The Solo 2 has no connection to the car but gets g’s, speed, track position and lap timing. $399

To use either of these with GoPros, Contour, Replay or any other camera to generate a video with channels logged on the Solo 2 or Solo 2 DL takes a third-party program, RaceRender is what I recommend, less than $50

The GPS on either Solo 2 is REALLY good. The video saved on your laptop, plus the data downloaded for the associated run from the Solo 2, is combined in the RaceRender program, generally taking between 30-60 minutes depending on the length of the run and the resolution of the video, as well as the power of the laptop.

A lot of folks use this in lieu of a SmartyCam.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The Solo 2 units have the same GPS as the loggers, but built in. It uses Glonass and GPS satellites. It's very accurate in my experience. The Solo units use just GPS but are still accurate, though not quite as good. In practice, it doesn't matter - laptimes it records are the same and positions are very close.

If you want just a regular Solo, I have one that was traded in that is practically brand new. Email me at matt@trailbrake.net. It's budget friendly!

Quick Reply: RaceCapture/Track MK2 or something else