Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Glad you got it figured out for your event. The problem here is why I've started setting the recording parameters to just GPS speed over 10 mph. That way if the connection for power or CAN goes bad, the unit will still record for the session as long as it's on. When it has an intermittent connection and things are set to GPS Speed AND RPM, then it will seem to randomly shut down. The added benefit is with just GPS speed, you can pull it out, put it in a friends car, turn it on, and it will record so you can share data from different cars easily.

Have a great day at the track!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Glad you got it figured out for your event. The problem here is why I've started setting the recording parameters to just GPS speed over 10 mph. That way if the connection for power or CAN goes bad, the unit will still record for the session as long as it's on. When it has an intermittent connection and things are set to GPS Speed AND RPM, then it will seem to randomly shut down. The added benefit is with just GPS speed, you can pull it out, put it in a friends car, turn it on, and it will record so you can share data from different cars easily.
It's interesting, though.

I've not seen your observations on the original Solo DL, which was one of the reasons why it has had a long and relatively trouble-free service life. That's why I felt sure it was not a recording parameter malfunction. Also, default start logging parameters in the original SDL, even with Speed/RPM, is either/or, not ALL, IIRC.

On the new Solo 2 DL, I've seen your observations A LOT. With the default standard start parameters, it's start when RPM is above <user set> but allows ONLY vehicle speed (NOT GPS Speed, and this cannot be changed) above <user set>.

This resulted in MANY users not getting log files recorded because there was no connection (or the incorrect connection) to the car, hence no "vehicle speed" that is not GPS coming through, hence no trigger. Bad design, if you ask me. If default was GPS speed instead, that would have gone a long way to prevent the issues that I've seen and that I'm sure you've seen, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Agreed. I assumed this was a S2DL, so if it's an original, it should be all set. I agree the added configurability and power of the S2DL has made it a little tougher for the earlyish adopters.to get things right, but the regular gotchas seem to have surfaced.

Quick Reply: Aim solo dL issue