Porsche Precision Track App or?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche Precision Track App or?

Cross post from the GT3 board..

Is there any way to make the PPTA work on a 2014 GT3 model that has Sport Chrono? If not, what are some good track apps to get that will basically do the same thing??
My main focus would be to see if the PPTA can be retrofitted into a 2014 model since I know it started on the 2015 models. I've looked at some threads on the Solo but I really don't want/need all of that data logging stuff. What I'm mainly looking for is an app that displays the telemetry onto a video that shows a track map, what gear Im in, brake/gas on or off, etc..

This is the display that I really want..

Something like this could work .. (but I dont need the camera facing me..)

or like this:
Is that the solo?

As I mentioned, the first video, which I believe is the PPTA is what I really want so has anybody retrofitted their 2014 to make this work?\Thank!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Not that I’m aware of.

AiM Solo 2 DL/SmartyCam HD combo is ONE plug in to the OBDII, that’s it. Makes pretty video with everything except the steering wheel.

Porsche uses the VBOX HD2 for their GT2 RS, GT3 RS and 919 Nurburgring videos. That has everything.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:42 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that VBOX is just a wee bit too pricey for me! lol.. Do you know if you can use a GoPro with the Solo 2?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
Yeah, that VBOX is just a wee bit too pricey for me! lol.. Do you know if you can use a GoPro with the Solo 2?
You can!

One step some people take is a Solo 2 DL, a GoPro and then take the two files (one data from the car, throttle, brake, RPM, steering as well as the speed, g’s and lap timing info) from the Solo 2 DL and the video from the camera and use a cheap piece of software (I recommend RaceRender) to combine the two to make a video that looks like and has that information on it.

Takes some time (you’d want to do it between events, not during one) and you need a pretty good (powerful) laptop or desktop, but you can get pretty good results with a little practice.

Many ways to skin a cat.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Like Peter said, Race Render is the most popular way to combine data with video. People do that a few times then buy a SCHD. I'd suggest just going to the full solution of the Solo 2 DL, SCHD, and mounts. That's a great combo you won't outgrow, is full automated, and will give you the tools to improve your driving.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the info... In looking deeper into the SCHD, I see they offer three models and it looks the advanced stand alone gives a lot of info on it's own. What does the SOLO2 add to package if I were to go with the integration model? Remember, I really don't care to see/know tons of inputs, I just want to telemetry to show up up on the video.. Just trying to find the most cost effective way also.. Camera is @$1K and SOLO2 is @$400 so I can either use my GoPro and the Solo or the SC and no Solo.. lol..
Old 08-16-2018, 06:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rattlsnak
Appreciate the info... In looking deeper into the SCHD, I see they offer three models and it looks the advanced stand alone gives a lot of info on it's own. What does the SOLO2 add to package if I were to go with the integration model? Remember, I really don't care to see/know tons of inputs, I just want to telemetry to show up up on the video.. Just trying to find the most cost effective way also.. Camera is @$1K and SOLO2 is @$400 so I can either use my GoPro and the Solo or the SC and no Solo.. lol..
The base Solo 2 is a standalone device. No way to get information from it to any outside device or from the car to it. Good for lap timing, speed comparisons and g loading measurements, plus a useful display. $399

The Solo 2 DL is much more powerful. Plugs into your car through OBDII and gets RPM, steering, throttle, brake and other measures. Also, powers up and turns off any SmartyCam connected to it, as well as sends this information to a SmartyCam so the camera can “write” this information ON to the video, real-time, as it is happening. This is the value. $699

The all-in-one SmartyCam is what most people choose to connect with one cable to an external logger, in this case, the Solo 2 DL. The camera can, by itself, record only g’s, day and date, for about seventy-five minutes on an internal battery.

It needs speed and track position (both from GPS) from an outside device (either an antenna, $149) and if you want car information, you need either an outside device like the Solo 2 DL or a simple, cheap box like an ECU Bridge ($220-250) to “translate” what the car is sending out to a message the camera can understand and write onto the video.

Least expensive setup for what you want to do from AiM is SmartyCam, antenna, mount and Bridge, about $1410. This will make an automatically started and stopped video with all the basic measures (Speed, day, date, g’s, throttle, brake, RPM, steering, track map, temps, lap times, lap count) on a video for a 2014 991.

Most people substitute a Solo 2 DL for the antenna and Bridge because the Solo 2 DL records, or logs all this information for later study and comparison, as well as gives you real time feedback (red LEDs on how much slower you are or green LEDs on how much quicker you are, in adjustable increment, and other info) to tell you while you’re on track, whether you’re actually and really making progress, or just doing the same old thing. $1778 with mounts and all you need for that setup.

This is probably the most popular combo people buy from Matt, Jerry or me for these cars, after they get done with Harry’s or PPTA. You can choose to look as much or as little as you want, but twenty seconds after your return to the paddock, you’re watching reliable, fully instrumented video and wireless download of the actual information that went into it.

The Garmin viRB and other action cameras also offer basic information (speed, g’s, lap times) and may offer car info from an OBDII dongle. More reliable than a phone and an app, but again, need to use their software and the laptop to “make up” a video after the fact with the info on it.

Probably more answer than you want or need, but this is the technology that has fundamentally propelled the most casual users forward in high performance driving and other amateur motorsports. More than any tire, sway bar, set of shocks or turbo, just being able to SEE WHAT YOU JUST did, and how it’s different than you remember (and it WILL be different, in a few key areas, sometime more...), is enough to bring your focus to areas to improve that will bring immediate (hopefully), gratification.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions... I will give you a call soon..

Marc
Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll just add that, after trying the "sync it myself" method over the years with a few different combinations, DON'T do it. Get an integrated system like Solo 2/ SCHD and save yourself a LOT of frustration...

Quick Reply: Porsche Precision Track App or?