Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I always advise predictive time. The real time splits require more mental power to remember where they are, what are good times for each, and not missing them. With the straight predictive, you only have to know the total lap time and if you are faster/ slower. It also allows you to have good info through the sector even if part of it goes wrong.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I always advise +/-, real time split differential! I'm getting too old to remember what my previous best is to make the calculation off the predictive lap and figure out whether I am ahead or behind.

Honestly, it's what you can process and what they're working on. That -0.5 or more ahead at the mid-point can be a real motivator to finish the lap cleanly!

Plus, I really like knowing WHAT CHANGE in a particular corner (or corner complex) made WHAT difference. Exactly...

For those that use both, typically they use +/- in test days, practice and working with a coach, often switching to predictive lap times in qualifying and the race.

To each their own...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Matt & Peter: Thank you for the input. I have only used forecast so far and find it very valuable. I'll give split a try for a practice session or two this weekend, for perspective.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I always advise +/-, real time split differential! I'm getting too old to remember what my previous best is to make the calculation off the predictive lap and figure out whether I am ahead or behind.

Honestly, it's what you can process and what they're working on. That -0.5 or more ahead at the mid-point can be a real motivator to finish the lap cleanly!

Plus, I really like knowing WHAT CHANGE in a particular corner (or corner complex) made WHAT difference. Exactly...

For those that use both, typically they use +/- in test days, practice and working with a coach, often switching to predictive lap times in qualifying and the race.

To each their own...
He's got a Pista, so no +/-, just predictive.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ahh! It would help if I read more carefully.

For folks reading this thread, while it is possible to install “splits” in the map that is used on the 2004-2014 MXL Pista, it updates the split a few seconds after passing each gate to do “real time splits” display.

Most folks have ONE split (the whole lap) on their MXL Pista track maps so this isn’t even an option without some work. ForeT or Forecasted Time is a predicted lap time displayed.

The newer generation of AiM equipment doesn’t need this preparation, nor is it limited to particular gates or splits.

Thanks, Matt.

OP, all the more reason to update!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ahh! It would help if I read more carefully.

For folks reading this thread, while it is possible to install “splits” in the map that is used on the 2004-2014 MXL Pista, it updates the split a few seconds after passing each gate to do “real time splits” display.

Most folks have ONE split (the whole lap) on their MXL Pista track maps so this isn’t even an option without some work. ForeT or Forecasted Time is a predicted lap time displayed.

The newer generation of AiM equipment doesn’t need this preparation, nor is it limited to particular gates or splits.

Thanks, Matt.

OP, all the more reason to update!
Agreed on all accounts!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:19 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Ahh!, thank you for the additional comments and clarifications. Given my equipment (MXL Pista) it seems I should stick with Forecast Time.

"upgrade"? maybe one of these years but for now priority and $s are going toward experiencing new tracks.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M_Weining
for now priority and $s are going toward experiencing new tracks.
An even BETTER investment! Cheers!

Quick Reply: AIM Forecast vs. Real Time Split - pros/cons of each