Notices

Aim solo DL. Can bus or OBD2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 10:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

The refresh rate (new info sent), as well as information from the ECU to the cluster and other ECM's that is not needed for diagnostic or inspection (state inspection) purposes are included in the Powertrain CAN (997_GT3) listed above. Typically, most European cars offer more capability through direct CAN interface than the abbreviated information present at the OBDII port. Audi/VW/Mini/BMW and others don't even have information present at the OBDII.

There are some manufacturers (relatively recently) who offer full CAN info present at the OBDII port. Ferrari, Chevrolet Performance, even the Viper has a tremendous amount of info available. It's the makers...

Here is my go-to for AiM connectivity: https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...II_eng_118.pdf
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-20-2020, 10:51 PM
WP0ZZZ
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The refresh rate (new info sent), as well as information from the ECU to the cluster and other ECM's that is not needed for diagnostic or inspection (state inspection) purposes are included in the Powertrain CAN (997_GT3) listed above. Typically, most European cars offer more capability through direct CAN interface than the abbreviated information present at the OBDII port.
Thanks for this. Just to confirm, do you mean that the CAN pins available in the OBD II port do not have as much information as the CAN bus in other locations of the car?
Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ
Thanks for this. Just to confirm, do you mean that the CAN pins available in the OBD II port do not have as much information as the CAN bus in other locations of the car?
Correct. It's not uncommon for a car to have 5 or more different CANbuses, so they don't all have the same info. What you get at the OBDII is often different than the chassis, drivetrain, or engine bus.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:15 AM
WP0ZZZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It's not uncommon for a car to have 5 or more different CANbuses, so they don't all have the same info. What you get at the OBDII is often different than the chassis, drivetrain, or engine bus.
That's good to know!

Do you know where I can find a CAN bus on a 997.2 GT3 RS with the maximum amount of information?
Old 07-21-2020, 01:36 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

So you’re asking about the 997 which I’m not personally familiar with as far as CAN information goes, however I suspect Porsche is doing the same as many other manufactures have relatively recently with CAN information at the OBDII port. This information is sometimes now referred to as DCAN. Diagnostic CAN. Which is a bit different than a “normal” CAN stream and depending on the vehicle structure and if a more secure style CAN gateway is being used then this information is being broadcast via a service protocol called SID$22. SID$22 is standardized and will only have a very limited amount of information. Hence why you wont see everything that is available on a particular CAN bus at the OBDII port.

Nowadays as OEMs are moving towards levels of autonomy or even just increased complexity/electrification, gateway ECUs are being built with higher and higher levels of security such that you can’t get any information front the CAN bus unless you physically hack into each particular bus before the gateway receives and redirects each message. So you’re forced to only have the SID$22 information at the OBDII port. I’m guessing this is what you’re running into

The following 2 users liked this post by SirLapsalot:
ProCoach (07-21-2020), WP0ZZZ (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 09:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

SirLapsaLot, OEM's are now considering encrypting the streams for security purposes. I know FCA and Nissan have taken steps...
Old 07-21-2020, 09:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Do you know where I can find a CAN bus on a 997.2 GT3 RS with the maximum amount of information?
AiM directions here: https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...us_102_eng.pdf

A guide I supply for users and installers of equipment I sell in the attachment.

It is EXTREMELY important to connect to a CAN network that the device is programmed or configured to receive. Introducing spurious information on a CAN or connecting a device not correctly configured can cause the vehicle to become inoperative, show MILs and trigger codes.

These directions are SPECIFICALLY for the AiM 997 GT3 driver (configuration) file on AiM devices and for VBOX devices with the appropriate CAN .REF loaded and have been successfully used since 2010.
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (12-20-2021)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:03 AM
WP0ZZZ
Instructor

A guide I supply for users and installers of equipment I sell in the attachment.
That's a more convenient location than going straight to the ECU, thank you!

It is EXTREMELY important to connect to a CAN network that the device is programmed or configured to receive. Introducing spurious information on a CAN or connecting a device not correctly configured can cause the vehicle to become inoperative, show MILs and trigger codes.
Would an AiM Solo 2 DL introduce such spurious information into the CAN bus? I hope not!
Old 07-21-2020, 12:01 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Would an AiM Solo 2 DL introduce such spurious information into the CAN bus? I hope not!
At the track this weekend I helped a friend that had an old SoloDL that was causing a CEL when it was plugged into the OBD2 port. We changed the cable, and the CEL light still came on. Swapped in a new Solo2DL and it was fine.

So yes, a device oin the CANbus (or OBD) can cause problems.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:24 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

SirLapsaLot, OEM's are now considering encrypting the streams for security purposes. I know FCA and Nissan have taken steps...
Yep, basically everyone has this developed already. Some are currently applying it. Seems to be starting out slow with only some control units sending their messages encrypted while others on the bus do not. Soon it will be the entire bus unfortunately.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Yep, basically everyone has this developed already. Some are currently applying it. Seems to be starting out slow with only some control units sending their messages encrypted while others on the bus do not. Soon it will be the entire bus unfortunately.
I've had this trouble on some motorcycles. It will end up being an industry problem, but most likely part of a larger issue like farmers/John Deere.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If it's not configured for the vehicle it's connected to correctly, of course it can...
Old 07-21-2020, 02:43 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

It's funny you mention FCA ProCoach, as I believe some of the CAN bus encryption was sparked by them. It was surely on the table for quite a while before, however a year or two ago I believe it was a couple newer Jeep's were remotely hacked through the infotainment system. So I believe that lit a fire under many OEM's to finish their cyber security development and start applying it to new models.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
It's funny you mention FCA ProCoach, as I believe some of the CAN bus encryption was sparked by them. It was surely on the table for quite a while before, however a year or two ago I believe it was a couple newer Jeep's were remotely hacked through the infotainment system. So I believe that lit a fire under many OEM's to finish their cyber security development and start applying it to new models.
Haha! Yes, unfortunately. That was the fire under their butt.

Have a few friends in testing and validation there, plus an Alfa Romeo connection.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:44 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

Digging this one up again, as it already has some very valuable responses... I have just ordered the AiM Solo 2 DL and will be using it in my 2004 996 RS, after speaking to the local dealer prior to ordering, they were confident their OBD 2 would communicate basic information to the unit (I had already read this thread, hence I called to ask)

According to the instructions this is available channels via OBD2, since its been nearly 2 years on the last response, hoping the below is accurate, is anyone running the aforementioned setup in an 04 GT3?

Quick Reply: Aim solo DL. Can bus or OBD2?