Notices

Brake Pressure Sensor Considerations Re:ABS

Old 07-19-2018, 03:17 PM
tlambie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pressure Sensor Considerations Re:ABS

Hi,

Currently planning the install of an AIM brake pressure sensor in a 987-1 SPC. Wondering about the implications of being upstream or downstream of the ABS module. Does it matter, if all other things, like line diameter, are equal? I do understand that I will only get one wheel instead of two. One consideration is comparing brake traces following any ice-pedal incidents to determine cause and/or mitigation techniques and if the sensor location matters beyond monitoring at least one front brake.

Thanks, Tim
Old 07-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by tlambie
Hi,

Currently planning the install of an AIM brake pressure sensor in a 987-1 SPC. Wondering about the implications of being upstream or downstream of the ABS module. Does it matter, if all other things, like line diameter, are equal? I do understand that I will only get one wheel instead of two. One consideration is comparing brake traces following any ice-pedal incidents to determine cause and/or mitigation techniques and if the sensor location matters beyond monitoring at least one front brake.

Thanks, Tim
I'd say it depends on what you want to get out of the data. If you want to study the driver, then go before the ABS and you'll see what you are doing. That will allow for driver development. If you want to see what the ABS does, then go after. The real difference will be in seeing the ABS pressure changes, assuming you log fast enough. The downside is you would only have 1 wheel, but it would mimic the data you would have before the module but with the pulses.

As to Ice Mode, if you tune up with the right people, it's pretty well understood what causes it and how to mitigate it. The cause is the performance of the car exceeds the design limits of the system. That is why companies like Pagid have brake pad formulations specific to ABS cars and spend lots of time setting bias, bite, and heat profiles to match the systems.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:40 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Having 1 sensor at the wheel to monitor ABS events won't get you much. You really have to have all 4 corners tapped to get a glimpse at what it is doing. Otherwise all you're going to see is if ABS is active or not. There are many potential triggers that would get you low output from the ABS system, so to actually see why it is triggering you need to be analyzing all 4 corners.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 AM
tlambie
Track Day

Thanks for the insight, Matt.

Driver first, in terms of study. I certainly have a ways to go. Upstream would make the most sense and the first choice.

We, as a race class, (Spec Cayman (987-1)) continue to look at ways to minimize frequent ABS issues across the class participants, including pad formulations, front to rear bite ratios, PCCB PIWIS programming for steel rotors, brake application technique etc. As you say, the cause is well understood. No silver bullet yet, even with some smart tuners involved. Perhaps, none is possible with this car.

It would be helpful to get ABS activations data from the CAN bus instead of looking at sensors. I believe the car supports it but, like brake pressure, its not in the AIM ECU protocol for this car. Let me know if there is an option regarding this.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Matt’s given great advice. All of the SPC setups I’ve sold are equipped with brake pressure at the exit of the master cylinder.

To diagnose ABS issues, wheel speeds are the key performance indicator required, as any anomaly in those will trigger ABS “events.”

However, an ABS MIL or status channel log can validate and often help diagnose improper codings, bad wspd sensors, poor and intermittent connections and control unit malfunctions.

There have been instances of folks using portions of 987.2 AiM protocol to get more information (specifically brake pressure!?!) out of a 987.1, so clearly there is a lot more there.

With the advent of the latest generation of equipment that allows custom protocols to be built, it’s now possible to combine and make a pretty complete template. I’m certainly working in this direction for the many customers I have who could benefit from it.

I spoke to Joe Hullett after he had just spent three days working on building a MoTeC template for the 981 and all it takes is experience, time and money!

Of course, the more variables you throw at it (pad material, rotor material, cooling, tires), the more you can benefit from monitoring temps, temp rise and temp balance front to back. But SPC is a “spec class,” right?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 AM
tlambie
Track Day

I will see how I get on with a brake pressure sensor, tire temp sensors, wheel speed and related math channels in the next few weeks and perhaps return to the ABS status issue later in the season. Especially, since it is a custom effort.

Thank you for the input.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest the following math channels to help you down this path.
Wheel slip percentage. Calculated as the percentage difference between vehicle speed (GPS speed preferred) and the wheel speed. You'll learn more with this signal than with wheel speed alone. You can measure tire slip and produce a simple mu/slip table to figure out where the tire peaks. Using that you can evaluate the wheel slips and long accel channels to better understand how the ABS system is moving pressure around.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:09 PM
tlambie
Track Day

Thanks for this. I will add them tonight. I bet it helps with analyzing airtime too.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tlambie
Thanks for this. I will add them tonight. I bet it helps with analyzing airtime too.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I would suggest the following math channels to help you down this path.
Wheel slip percentage. Calculated as the percentage difference between vehicle speed (GPS speed preferred) and the wheel speed. You'll learn more with this signal than with wheel speed alone. You can measure tire slip and produce a simple mu/slip table to figure out where the tire peaks. Using that you can evaluate the wheel slips and long accel channels to better understand how the ABS system is moving pressure around.
My experience is that calculating slip off two inputs that sample at different rates can throw things off, always considering that GPS is updated at half the minimum rate of actual wheel speed.

Thats why going off each axle (drive versus a ground speed channel) is often more valuable.

Good idea, for sure. Your suggestion will certainly be good for relative comparison with changes.

Just need to be aware of the limitations.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You'll also need to be sure to log wheel speeds at a high frequency... 5ms loop time minimum (we do it on 1ms, but you probably don't need to try for that just to see what it's up to, roughly).

Oh, and yes, caliper pressure at the same rate...

Of course, you probably only REALLY need to see the front brake pressures, since those would be the ones that'd kill your decel. But you'd need to track all 4 wheel speeds, yes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pressure Sensor Considerations Re:ABS