Notices

AIM SOLO DL Help with CAN connection, 987.2 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:33 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Default AIM SOLO DL Help with CAN connection, 987.2 Spyder

This has got me stumped... I've searched through a ton of threads and thought I had this right... https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-cayman-s.html, https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-399-a-16.html, https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...marty-cam.html, https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-399-a-16.html

I've tapped into both pairs of yellow/white, black/white (yes - there are two pairs in one bundle exactly the same color...), not getting any type of data. I've tried two different configurations of the ECU - the Siemens that Aim suggests, and the 991_911 that I saw suggested in one of the forum posts when connecting directly to the twisted pair.

Getting no type of data on the Aim at all, just the standard menu. I've double-checked that I transmitted data, checked that the Aim is getting power from the add-a-fuse, really stumped.

So a couple questions...

1) If I am getting data, and the AIM has the right ECU config - I should be seeing the option for "Custom" in the display settings on the Aim - is that correct? Or is there some bone-headed thing I need to do in order to see that? Is there anything else I need to do in the config menu to be able see data like Oil Temp?

2) For a 987.2 Spyder, connected to the twisted pairs, can someone guide me on which ECU I should be using? I thought it would be Porsche manuf, Siemens ECU based on the Aim documentation, although that specifies a connection to the actual ECU, vs. the CAN

3) For the twisted pair color - am I on the right colors? It seems like it based on this post: https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...r-987-2-a.html

Thanks - what should have been a pretty straight-forward connection has turned into a frustrating afternoon.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

You are correct on the colors. CAN+ (white with AiM, blue with VBOX, white with MoTeC) to yellow/white, CAN- (blue with AiM, white with VBOX, green with MoTeC) to black/white. Just did one at Murry.

Siemens is the correct ECU setting for the AiM configuration. Check to see your pins aren’t bent at the Solo.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:44 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Thanks, appreciate it. Does the AIM pickup the signal on its own? Anything I need to be doing in the configuration?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by daylorb
Thanks, appreciate it. Does the AIM pickup the signal on its own? Anything I need to be doing in the configuration?
Yes. The purpose of “sending” the configuration to the Solo DL is to tell it what to “listen” for. Perhaps you’re not doing the last step, which is to Transmit the config to the logger?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:05 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Thanks - I transmitted it, tried both ECU's, I even did a "receive" after transmitting to verify that it went through to make sure it was on there. Not sure what the issue was - although the battery low showed up late in the entire process so I charged it overnight and had at it again this morning. Did the config again this morning and this time it worked!

So I can verify for the 987.2 Spyder that one of the yellow/white, black/white pairs worked (there are two pairs same color), and that the Siemens ECU was the correct one. Reading everything now!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by daylorb
Thanks - I transmitted it, tried both ECU's, I even did a "receive" after transmitting to verify that it went through to make sure it was on there. Not sure what the issue was - although the battery low showed up late in the entire process so I charged it overnight and had at it again this morning. Did the config again this morning and this time it worked!

So I can verify for the 987.2 Spyder that one of the yellow/white, black/white pairs worked (there are two pairs same color), and that the Siemens ECU was the correct one. Reading everything now!
Yes, the pairs are well known for each car model and the manufacturers use the same color codes for the particular CAN networks (there can be several, and more in the new cars). I am not sure why you had the trouble but glad it's fixed!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-03-2018, 07:21 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Not sure either, but all seems good now. I drove it around quite a bit today and performed well!

Quick Reply: AIM SOLO DL Help with CAN connection, 987.2 Spyder