Notices

Racelogic OBD Module for HD2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 AM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Racelogic OBD Module for HD2

I recently purchased the OBD Module for my HD2. I thought it would be an easy way to get some additional data from my 2000 GT3. Anyone else have one of these? I have not had any luck pairing the OBD Bluetooth to my HD2.

As a note, I have updated my HD2's firmware to the latest and greatest. I have also linked OBD into a scene that I uploaded to my HD2. The VBOX Video App on my iPhone shows the correct scene when I connect via Wifi to my HD2. The app does not find the OBD module for pairing. I have submitted a ticket to Racelogic for help but figured I check with you all.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by investlt
I recently purchased the OBD Module for my HD2. I thought it would be an easy way to get some additional data from my 2000 GT3. Anyone else have one of these? I have not had any luck pairing the OBD Bluetooth to my HD2.

As a note, I have updated my HD2's firmware to the latest and greatest. I have also linked OBD into a scene that I uploaded to my HD2. The VBOX Video App on my iPhone shows the correct scene when I connect via Wifi to my HD2. The app does not find the OBD module for pairing. I have submitted a ticket to Racelogic for help but figured I check with you all.
In my experience, that's awfully early for this to get timely information, but it should connect to the HD2. Let's see what the support ticket generates.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 PM
investlt
Instructor

So far Racelogic has not replied to my follow up message and videos.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
In my experience, that's awfully early for this to get timely information, but it should connect to the HD2. Let's see what the support ticket generates.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I see that they just did, with a file to erase any previous BlueTooth pairings.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 AM
investlt
Instructor

Yup, but since I did not have any previous pairings I wasn't sure if it would help. I tried and it did not help; same issue of the device not pairing to my HD2.

I see that they just did, with a file to erase any previous BlueTooth pairings.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:48 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Time to send the BT module back. I’ve sold five or six but haven’t had issues like you have.

Next week, I’ll be meeting with an engineer from RL USA at VIR. Am going to see if we can get at least throttle and engine speed from the ECU for Boxsters and your car.

I think there are a lot of folks who would benefit from this and honestly, as AiM has figured out, anything over OBDII in a car that early (or even later) is too slow for any useful review.

I know the information is there...
Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the OBD module with an HD2 in a 1999 spec Boxster - the data was too slow as others noted and it sometimes did not work. The Bluetooth would connect but it would not read data. I went with the MicroInout module instead and am VERY happy with the results. I use it to pull TPS (throttle) and I combine long g with brake light input in a math channel to give a fair approximation of brake pressure. Next I plan to add a steering angle sensor.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJP911
I had the OBD module with an HD2 in a 1999 spec Boxster - the data was too slow as others noted and it sometimes did not work. The Bluetooth would connect but it would not read data. I went with the MicroInout module instead and am VERY happy with the results. I use it to pull TPS (throttle) and I combine long g with brake light input in a math channel to give a fair approximation of brake pressure. Next I plan to add a steering angle sensor.
The MICIN01 Micro Input Module is the best way to pull analog input (and a fast RPM sample) from older cars without fast communications (everything up to 2002).

Finally getting around to sniffing SPB CAN at the ECU next week (if I can find a donor car to be at VIR Tuesday or Wednesday) which will help get the OP what they need quickly and easily (same protocol).

This will be big for the 1998-2002 986/996 crowd...
Old 05-17-2018, 06:06 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very much looking forward to the results of this - thanks Peter.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

This will be big for the 1998-2002 986/996 crowd...
That would be great!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter - did you have any luck sniffing the SPB CAN data at VIR?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

This is what I was able to do with the MicroInput Module - I have Brake (proportional based on Gs), Throttle, Steering Angle and Traction Control Indicator (soon to come)

See sample video at
Old 06-06-2018, 12:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This is what I was able to do with the MicroInput Module - I have Brake (proportional based on Gs), Throttle, Steering Angle and Traction Control Indicator (soon to come)

See sample video at https://vimeo.com/273623237
Nice! Could you send me that scene and I’ll see if I can add more?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

It's just the standard scene "Porsche Cup GT3" available from Racelogic:
https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...scenes#default

I added some additional lap data (standard text element) and the steering wheel graphic (slightly modified) from one of the Scene Wizard scenes:
https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...e-scene-wizard
For the steering input I used a pull string sensor wrapped around the steering column.

I also bought custom graphics for a scene from ShakeNBake on RL and added a yellow marker around the RPMs for steering - very happy with the result:

996 dash in 986 Boxster
Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

For the steering input I used a pull string sensor wrapped around the steering column.

I also bought custom graphics for a scene from ShakeNBake on RL and added a yellow marker around the RPMs for steering
Ah! So analog sensors, plus RPM input and 0-5V throttle signal from the ECU. Got it.

Well, that’s the benefit of the MicIn01 MicroInput Module.

I want just a two wire connection, if I can work that out. I’ll get RPM, some wheel speeds and throttle position updated at 50 Hz. Another option for SPB owners.

Quick Reply: Racelogic OBD Module for HD2