Notices

AIM SmarthCam .FOF File?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:42 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 41 Posts
Default AIM SmarthCam .FOF File?

Does anyone know what a .FOF files is? I am getting them on my SmartyCam and there are some .MOV files that are unplayable around/at the same time. HD Rev 2 with the latest firmware etc. I am getting good sessions and my bullet HD camera is having no issues.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

It's a write errorm. Usually a bad card or a slow card. There is a utility to fix them. I can't post it from my phone.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

As Matt said, the camera is attempting to write digital information along with the video at a speed greater than the card will accept.

aim.movie.fix, the program Matt refers to, will rebuild the index file telling the player where the video starts and ends, sometimes (although very infrequently) rendering the file playable.

Most people don’t know that SD cards have a finite amount of write and read cycles and then they deteriorate quickly. I replace mine every few months and ONLY buy the best I can find.

Unless it’s your personal best, I would pitch the card and buy some 600x, 90 Mbps Transcend 32 GB Class 10 UHS-1 cards from Amazon and never worry about it again.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:55 PM
mlct
Racer

Thanks to you both. I am going to go with new cards.

Mark
Old 05-11-2018, 10:41 PM
mlct
Racer

Thanks. A new card fixed the issue
Old 05-11-2018, 10:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mlct
Thanks. A new card fixed the issue
Excellent!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:10 PM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,
Are there any recommended programs that will work on a Apple for the .fof and .mov? Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by asamhall
Hello,
Are there any recommended programs that will work on a Apple for the .fof and .mov? Thanks
Again, Windows or Mac OS, the very presence of .FOF files means that there was a write error and the movie is corrupted and likely not fully repairable, if at all.

The most common app in Mac OS to play .mov files that QuickTime doesn’t have the codec (software instructions to play) is VLC Player, available at videolan.org

VLC Player has a repair function that sometimes works, about the rate of success as the aim.moviefix utility in Windows.

Good luck. But please buy a new card... A good one.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 AM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Peter.

The interesting thing to me it was just the 2nd session that had this. All the other sessions after this recorded as correctly. This card is the same brand and spec of the Smarty Cam I bought from you. Anyway I will start swapping out cards more frequently.

Thanks again all.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by asamhall
Thank you Peter.

The interesting thing to me it was just the 2nd session that had this. All the other sessions after this recorded as correctly. This card is the same brand and spec of the Smarty Cam I bought from you. Anyway I will start swapping out cards more frequently.

Thanks again all.

I think a lot of folks think of SD card media as being pretty robust. And the good ones are! I know, I’ve put enough through the washer by mistake.

Where issues come in is the way that these cards allocate memory. Sometimes (most times), a particular “sector” or allocated area of storage space on the card is damaged and .FOF errors are generated writing to those sectors. Once written, even though the index file of the video is damaged and therefore the video is unplayable, it still takes up that space and the next time the camera writes video and data, it works fine because the “new” area or sector is uncorrupted.

This sector damage can be due to static electricity or any number of things, remember these are cheap for what they are and the “yields” or media without damage when manufactured new, are high. So, errors are rare.

But like driving, once there is an error in the card, that card is suspect. Period. Pitch it.

Quick Reply: AIM SmarthCam .FOF File?