Notices

AIM Software and Windows 10

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AIM Software and Windows 10

Currently running Windows 8 under Parallels and using AIM the software suite (RS2, RSA, etc.).

Not using Windows for much else.

Any reason to upgrade to Win 10?
Old 04-29-2018, 09:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

With the frequency that I update computers, I did have a few with Win 8 and Win 8.1. Win 10 is a huge upgrade, offers better compatibility among a wide variety of programs and is fully supported by Windows. As RS3 eveolves, I would recommend Win 10 for sure to avoid potential issues.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Windows 10 is a BIG upgrade from 8. However, if everything is working ok, and you don't use windows much, I would leave well enough alone for now.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Speeds5
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Are they ever going to make a MAC compatible version? It’s annoying to keep another laptop just for this.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
Are they ever going to make a MAC compatible version? It’s annoying to keep another laptop just for this.
Hard to say.

None of the major and even minor manufacturers (Bosch, Magnetti Marelli, Cosworth, GEMS, MacLaren, MoTeC, AiM, to name the most common) with the exception of Racelogic's Video VBOX Circuit Tools 2, offer an Apple OS native program, and even then, you'll need Windows for the hardware configuration.

There is a movement towards iOS and/or Android mobile apps for quick and easy analysis. A really cool new logger that does this well is RacePak's CL1 and a really cool video/data logger that does this well is RaceNavigator. I see more development resources being devoted, and in particular by AiM, in this direction than porting the existing full featured analysis program to an Apple OS application.

Seventy percent of the people I know at the track using Apple hardware to run AiM and other logger software use Parallels with a smaller proportion of those users using VMWare.

I love Boot Camp, and have used Apple hardware nearly exclusively since 2006 with the introduction of Intel processors. But I agree, for those that need Windows just for data analysis and hardware configuration and are facile users of Apple OS, it's more of a pain to learn Windows idiosyncrasies than to actually run the AiM software... Just my .02
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Yes, their will be an iOS version. I'm not a software programmer, so I might not have the technical parts completely correct, but the enviroment they wrote RS3 in and are writing RS3A in is adaptable to Windows and iOS. Once the Windows version is done, they will work on the iOS version. They have a beta (might be alpha) version of an iOS app for phones and tablets to do some basic analysis on data from a Solo 2.

As to the question of when, no one knows the answer to that.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Developing true cross platform applications for desktop apps is challenging and time consuming (ie expensive) for a company the size of AIM who also needs to have engineering resources on hardware, integrated systems, etc, not easy to do. Thing is, software is NEVER done. Once they go cloud based (and it will happen at some point) its 'easy' to do. I'm suspicious of the comments around "windows and iOS" those are completely different platforms. It's possibly they have the data structures in a cross platform format but the user interface tooling is completely different. (I AM or was a computer programmer... )

I ditched trying to run the AIM and other car apps in a VM, and bought a reasonably priced dell laptop and it's been great. Windows 10 is very good. I'm a hardcore mac user for a long time, use mac only at work, etc. Bootcamp is pretty good usually. I prefer apple hardware. But this dell for track use, not bad at all. (Inspiron 7000 series, 12GB ram, 256GB SSD, nice screen, 13" etc, and really acceptable build quality. I think I paid $650 best buy having a sale at time)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:00 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RAM for Win 10 under Parallels

Originally Posted by ProCoach
With the frequency that I update computers, I did have a few with Win 8 and Win 8.1. Win 10 is a huge upgrade, offers better compatibility among a wide variety of programs and is fully supported by Windows. As RS3 eveolves, I would recommend Win 10 for sure to avoid potential issues.
After some frustration with display irregularities (scaling issues), I took the plunge and upgraded from 8.1 to 10 Home under Parallels.
Initial thoughts: Easy upgrade, went well, machine is faster and display issues are resolved.
What do people recommend for RAM allocation in the Parallels VM? Current set for 2Gb however the hosting Mac has 16, so I could up it if there is any benefit.

Quick Reply: AIM Software and Windows 10