Notices

Dual Smartycams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Smartycams?

Any good way to run dual smartycams without buying a complete new unit? Have GP cam now. If I did get a complete 2nd, can I just pop it into my aim channel expander?

Feel spoiled having front aim hooked up where it auto turns on and starts recording, want to add a rear camera, and having one less thing to think about during driver swaps would be nice.

Would obviously be ideal to have a single recording w overlay showing front and rear maybe even 3rd for foot like you can do w race-keeper.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:15 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

You can add a second AIM camera, but there are many posts here recommending a powered bridge, otherwise your batteries are likely to run down. It will start/stop just like your existing camera, but I am not aware of being able to do picture in picture without a second program like race render after the fact, as each camera records to it's own SD card.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

You can do it, but need the extra power. No way to combine the two unless you use third party software like RaceRender.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Actually, I have many customers that run dual SmartyCams successfully with the addition of a Data Hub (Channel Expansion is for analog sensors only).

Only time you need extra power is if one (and definitely both) are the smaller battery GP version.

Solo DL with Data Hub and two cameras.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by josserman
Would obviously be ideal to have a single recording w overlay showing front and rear maybe even 3rd for foot like you can do w race-keeper.
I have several folks who have AiM systems who’ve sold their single SmartyCam and bought a VBOX Lite or HD2 2-Camera picture in picture system to use for video, which can be added in an automated way and put all the SmartyCam info ON the background of the video with one cable, same as the SmartyCam.

Even though I’m a dealer for all three systems mentioned, I can’t recommend Race-Keeper at this time.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:36 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Actually, I have many customers that run dual SmartyCams successfully with the addition of a Data Hub (Channel Expansion is for analog sensors only).

Only time you need extra power is if one (and definitely both) are the smaller battery GP version.

Solo DL with Data Hub and two cameras.
Is that Peter !? It’s Justin O. Is there a way to render all 2 or 3 together?

As far as this battery thing, I’ve never used a battery in a smartycam, it’s all powered by car, but yes if I hit kill switch it stays on, so I guess internal battery is being used then.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by josserman

Is that Peter !? It’s Justin O. Is there a way to render all 2 or 3 together?

As far as this battery thing, I’ve never used a battery in a smartycam, it’s all powered by car, but yes if I hit kill switch it stays on, so I guess internal battery is being used then.
Justin, ping me off-list and I’ll explain further.

Quick Reply: Dual Smartycams?