Notices

How/Where to mount AIM EVO4S in 981BS?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:56 AM
BREADwagon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How/Where to mount AIM EVO4S in 981BS?

I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong subforum to post in!

I'm very interested in purchasing the AIM Evo4S and GS-dash for my 981 Boxster S, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to mount it. How have others mounted the Evo4S box in a 981B daily driver? Also, I'm not sure of the GS-dash mounting system, is there a Ram-mount adaptor available for it?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Super easy. You could even do it on a portable basis.

The GS-Dash should ideally be mounted using a RAM mount (suction cup) low in the center or left lower corner of the windshield above the dash. Use a 1M or 2M extension to connect to the EVO4S.

The EVO4S could be mounted in the center console on the forward side (hidden, semi-permanent mounting on the tunnel, need to take the kick panel loose to do it) OR, you could lift a floor mat behind the seats or better yet, under the passenger's knee area on the floor with 3M's terrific Dual-Lock hard plastic velcro-like material. I've had several folks install this combo as a temporary measure in dual-use cars and would be glad to supply or share information on tnhis great system. Even had folks install the EVO4S on glass using RAM mounts, which works fine after calibration.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

I use a Solo ram mount and make a bracket to hold the dash and the gps. For the unit, I've seen some nice installs in the console, under the console, and best the footwell.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
BREADwagon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ram-mount (Part# RAP-B-166U-A) with a 1" ball, just wanted to verify if I need to make an adaptor plate between the GS and a ram-mount 1"ball plate or if the Solo mount works (which it looks like it doesn't without making an adaptor plate between the solo mount and the back of the GS).

Coach and Matt, Do you have pictures and details of installing the evo4s in the footwell? Is there a prefabricated "cage" for the Evo4s that I can hack up for the install, or a bracket has to be custom made?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by BREADwagon
I have a ram-mount (Part# RAP-B-166U-A) with a 1" ball, just wanted to verify if I need to make an adaptor plate between the GS and a ram-mount 1"ball plate or if the Solo mount works (which it looks like it doesn't without making an adaptor plate between the solo mount and the back of the GS).

Coach and Matt, Do you have pictures and details of installing the evo4s in the footwell? Is there a prefabricated "cage" for the Evo4s that I can hack up for the install, or a bracket has to be custom made?
I've always made the bracket. I don't have any photos with me right now. Maybe Peter does?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by BREADwagon

I've got a pic for the GS-Dash somewhere.

On the EVO4S, I would not build a bracket, merely use the Dual-Lock firmly attached to the floor, removing the carpet when you want to install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How/Where to mount AIM EVO4S in 981BS?