iRacing data analysis

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 04:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default iRacing data analysis

Not sure if it's better to ask this here or in the main Racing forum, but I'm guessing this is the spot. I'm looking for suggestions on the "best" way to analyze data from iRacing. I'd love to be able to look at the data in AIM software, as that's what I use IRL, but what I'm seeing mostly from the Google is Atlas (which I tried and hated), and Motec. Any advice on what way to go, and any comments on a workflow?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

MoTeC (using the plug-in "mu" from iRacing forums) is the daddy. ATLAS sucks, IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2018, 08:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
MoTeC (using the plug-in "mu" from iRacing forums) is the daddy. ATLAS sucks, IMO.
Thanks. Got it set up, and seems to work ok. I need to climb the Motec curve a bit. Not sure why you are being so kind about ATLAS...
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Talk to Chris Brown to get a MoTeC class. That will get you up to speed.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There are MANY good "beginner guides" to using MoTeC, particularly within iRacing, to analyze data using an iRacing workbook. It's really cool and the community is very helpful.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:23 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been down this path already. Some observations from the user end...

The version of i2pro that is recommended on the iRacing website/forum posts is old. I'm using the latest/greatest 64-bit i2pro with data spit out from the mu converter program with no problems. The downside to starting this way is that the workbooks that are pre-made for iRacing are the older style and won't work with the newer version of the i2pro. The upside is that using the newer version has [unsurprisingly] more features and performance. I actually think that the changes they made in going from workbooks (old) to workspaces (new) make it a lot easier to add new sheets and the various display elements. I found that many of the iRacing workbooks were overly complicated anyway and not maintained much so I'd say it's easier to start from scratch and make what you need in the newer i2pro -- certainly cleaner and more maintainable for you if you do the first pass construction. I think I put in a couple of hours and had a quite usable workspace for the channels I look at without too much hassle. I did this from looking at the included example and the extensive online help and I did it before...

Full disclosure, I've taken Chris' class as recommended above and can't recommend it highly enough -- do both the Intro to Motec and the Driver Coaching with Data days if you can...both very valuable even for just iRacing purposes.

Since taking that class I have re-visited my workspace and now I have a bunch more math and more sheets in my workspace for looking at particular things. FWIW, I've also made a matching workspace, in terms of pages and elements on them (the channel names I haven't bothered to alias but you could so then they'd look exactly the same) for both Assetto Corsa and my real world GT4 -- so now I look at data from all those sources in one set of tools. I find that quite useful!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I've been down this path already. Some observations from the user end...

The version of i2pro that is recommended on the iRacing website/forum posts is old. I'm using the latest/greatest 64-bit i2pro with data spit out from the mu converter program with no problems. The downside to starting this way is that the workbooks that are pre-made for iRacing are the older style and won't work with the newer version of the i2pro. The upside is that using the newer version has [unsurprisingly] more features and performance. I actually think that the changes they made in going from workbooks (old) to workspaces (new) make it a lot easier to add new sheets and the various display elements. I found that many of the iRacing workbooks were overly complicated anyway and not maintained much so I'd say it's easier to start from scratch and make what you need in the newer i2pro -- certainly cleaner and more maintainable for you if you do the first pass construction. I think I put in a couple of hours and had a quite usable workspace for the channels I look at without too much hassle. I did this from looking at the included example and the extensive online help and I did it before...

Full disclosure, I've taken Chris' class as recommended above and can't recommend it highly enough -- do both the Intro to Motec and the Driver Coaching with Data days if you can...both very valuable even for just iRacing purposes.

Since taking that class I have re-visited my workspace and now I have a bunch more math and more sheets in my workspace for looking at particular things. FWIW, I've also made a matching workspace, in terms of pages and elements on them (the channel names I haven't bothered to alias but you could so then they'd look exactly the same) for both Assetto Corsa and my real world GT4 -- so now I look at data from all those sources in one set of tools. I find that quite useful!
Cool!

If you first download the old version of i2 Pro (1.0) and the worksheets, set it up and THEN update to i2 Pro 1.1 (current version), there is a worksheet to workbook archive import that works like a charm, saving a ton of time.

Chris is not only knowledgeable about MoTeC, he’s a great instructor and teacher.

Mind sharing the Assetto Corsa MoTeC .ld export plug in source?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:27 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Cool!

If you first download the old version of i2 Pro (1.0) and the worksheets, set it up and THEN update to i2 Pro 1.1 (current version), there is a worksheet to workbook archive import that works like a charm, saving a ton of time.

I tried that and it didn't work on some of the workbooks I tried -- not sure why. I suppose the other thing that motivated me to start again was that many of the workbooks floating about the iRacing forums have a lot of emphasis on tools to help work on setup for the car, suspension analysis and what not, which frankly aren't [for now anyway] all that interesting to me since the component I am most focused on tuning is the spacer between the seat and the steering wheel.
Chris is not only knowledgeable about MoTeC, he’s a great instructor and teacher.
Can't say enough good things about Chris' class. Great material and yes, you are right: gifted teacher in the classroom setting.
Mind sharing the Assetto Corsa MoTeC .ld export plug in source?
ACTI is the package you are looking for there. It take a little bit of setup and minimal configuration, as does mu for iRacing of course, but nothing too tricky once you get the hang of it. I think the link >>HERE<< should get you to the jumping off point to find what you need if you want to try it.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:21 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks!
Have you looked at VRS, Virtual Racing School and their free telemetry logger?

https://virtualracingschool.com/
Old 03-29-2018, 10:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Have you looked at VRS, Virtual Racing School and their free telemetry logger?
https://youtu.be/4ITKv7XSA7Y?list=PL...GxpKXmNR-lnlwa

https://virtualracingschool.com/
I have a couple of iRacing clients (folks I work with online in private hosted sessions) who swear by that.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a couple of iRacing clients (folks I work with online in private hosted sessions) who swear by that.
It's actually one of the best data interfaces in terms of simplicity I have seen. I wish AiM had a GUI like this for dummies like me
What's exceptionally cool is if you create a team or league in iRacing you can cross compare data among drivers.
It's indeed very cool what they have built.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
It's actually one of the best data interfaces in terms of simplicity I have seen. I wish AiM had a GUI like this for dummies like me
What's exceptionally cool is if you create a team or league in iRacing you can cross compare data among drivers.
It's indeed very cool what they have built.
I will have to go back and look at this again. For some reason I wasn’t trilled about it, but honestly, now I don’t recall why. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: iRacing data analysis